1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I came out to the ex...finally.

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by greatwhale, Mar 10, 2014.

1. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Dear friends,

Well it only took over a year (and over 4000 posts!) to finally be able to tell you that I have officially come out to the ex-wife. Over text of all things...

She immediately took the opportunity to tell me about everything that went wrong with our marriage and how she has been treated terribly by me (predictable). I reminded her that it was not all bad, she reminded me that she doesn't believe it. Nothing gained, nothing lost...same old, same old.

What she didn't do however is far more interesting: she doesn't care that I am gay. Remember that she was already 95% certain of it anyway, so it is oddly not a big deal.

We are now negotiating how it is I will tell the kids. I had told her that I wanted to do this with the kids alone. No sale; no surprise. So we are negotiating how and when, it's late here, so we'll see where that goes.

She started playing games with visitation, stating that our youngest is too stressed to come over; I reminded her that we have an agreement and that it will not be revisited in any way shape or form. If she tries anything, there will be hell to pay.

Well all in a day's work, I say!

2. Cool Bananas

Brisbane, but I seem to fly as much as superman
    Well done, another item ticked off the list.

3. BMC77

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Congratulations on reaching this milestone! A few months later than originally expected if my recollection is right. But better late than never. Or better late than after you've gone crazy from the divorce That Would Never End! :lol:

Some thoughts, and feel free to share them with the Ex At Long Last:
    As I pointed out in a recent thread, it was what it was. There is no changing the past. The marriage is over. And I as I recall it was her choice. There is no sense in trying to dig up the grave where this marriage is buried; all you'll find is a rotted out corpse.

On a practical level, it's best for all if everyone can just move forward to whatever is next. Also: it would be nice if she could agree for the good of the children to have at least a civil relationship with you. She doesn't have to like you. Just try to avoid vitriolic hate.

To a degree, I don't see that she has any right to dictate this. It's your news. And if she likes it or not--or even hates the fact (probable): you are still their father.

Although I suppose practically a solution she can live with might result in less friction.

One thought for what it's worth (not that my thoughts are worth anything :lol:slight_smile:: the coming out to your children should probably be sooner rather than later. I am guessing that will be the last major coming out, and at that point it will fully free you to live an authentic life as an openly gay man.

4. StillAround

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Congratulations!

(*hug*)

5. Clay

Congrats!

6. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Maybe I'm overly optimistic, but I'd like to believe she'll stop being such a shrew in a few months once things settle after everything is signed, sealed, and delivered.

Hopefully you'll be able to come up with a reasonable solution for telling the kids you're gay, and she'll be reasonable about it for their sake.

Congratulations on finally getting that piece of information out there so you don't have to hold onto it. I know that's got to be a pretty big weight off your shoulders.

7. Bluebird22

Bluebird22 Guest

Congratulations - a bit messy, like everything in life, but certainly a step in the right direction.

Keep on truckin' :slight_smile:

8. SRS1120

Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Congrats greatwhale!

9. HopeFloats

Congratulations! I agree that she doesn't really get to have a say on how you share your news. Your parenting time with them is yours alone. While I think it's a good idea to advise her that you've done it or about to do so - so that she is prepared for a conversation should the kids want to discuss it with her - I don't think you should feel obligated by her desire to be present for the conversation YOU are having with the kids.

In divorce situations, the loss of control over what happens with the other parent is something we all have to deal with as parents. From what you've said about your exwife, this is probably more about her loss of control than about the actual subject - your coming out.

10. GayDadStr8Marig

Congrats, greatwhale; another major milestone out of the way. I am actually a bit stunned that I beat you to the punch! When I first joined and started reading you posts, I thought to myself "dear God, it will take me years to get stable enough to go through what these guys are doing"... and here I am, out to my wife, we had a couple of really icy days over the weekend, and then yesterday morning a dust-up via email but by the time we got home last night and spent the evening talking you'd almost think we were friends again. I'm certain there will be ups and downs along the way, and we have a few major milestones ahead of us (kids, her family, terms of divorce, prepping house to sell and finances for separation). Anyway, I wouldn't have made it this far so quickly without the support and inspiration of guys like you. (*hug*)

11. Choirboy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Good for you, greatwhale! I suppose by this point it just feels like one final detail out of the way, but it's such a BIG final detail. And if the kids don't already have some vague idea (they do pick up on clues pretty well), chances are good that your influence has made them open-minded enough that they will accept it without a lot of difficulty. My oldest was very unaffected by the news, and actually is pretty supportive of me possibly getting close to someone, and my youngest doesn't know yet, but she knows openly gay people and is constantly voicing great annoyance that Wisconsin doesn't have same-sex marriage. (If she weren't such a total blabbermouth....! Once she knows, the world will know, and my wife is adjusting, but she's not quite ready for that yet.)

Congratulations on the important step!

12. skiff

skiff Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Congrats.

Now the healing starts.

Tom

13. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thanks for your support, friends, very much appreciated!

Well, I had to deal with her venom during a phone call this morning, claiming that our youngest son is stressed and doesn't want to visit me (total bullshit, he enjoys being with me and we have a good time when we're together) if he is stressed I really do think it is because of all the "issues" my ex brings up. She has a way of dramatizing everything and thereby making things worse than they need to be.

I reminded her that any counsellor she gets him to see, I need to know about it...the ink isn't even dry on our agreement (which specifically spells out that I have a say in how his health care is dealt with) and she is already acting as if I don't exist.

I reminded her that I will enforce that agreement if I have to, and I will.

Her theme now is: "if you think that your being gay is the only explanation for your disgusting behaviour towards me, you have another thing coming, I know plenty of gay people and they don't act like complete assholes" :eusa_doh:

14. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yes, dear friends, this is a time of miracle and wonder!

She just spoke to her therapist and it was recommended that I go with my ex to her therapist for a joint session in order to mediate how I will come out to the kids. I immediately agreed, it is always good to have a (hopefully) sane person in the room with us trying to mediate...

This is progress of sorts (although I can just imagine how I must be the demon incarnate after her two years with this person)...should be interesting. As I expected, she has calmed down some (although her dictatorial streak is hale and hearty)

15. bassmaster

Congrats!! and sorry at the same time your having to deal with all this. I guess we all deal with stress in different ways but sounds like she doesn't know exactly how to deal with her own without using the kids as a shield. Stand strong! You deserve it!

16. Jim1454

You know... I think most therapists can see through people like your ex wife. They certainly can with my husband's ex. So I think you might have a real ally in the room with you - who can hopefully talk some sense into your wife.

How old is your youngest?!? I told my girls when they were 6 and 8 - and it was fine. The difference I suppose is that my ex was very supportive and understanding of my orientation. She didn't hate me, and made an effort to talk about me in a very positive light.

As for visitation - you're right to stick to your guns. As soon as she deviates from the agreement, call her out on it and threaten to go back to court. Stop making support payments too. If one element of the agreement isn't good enough for her, then whole thing isn't good enough for her.

17. mav96213

Greatwhale,

I "hope" the reason she wants to be present when you tell the kids isn't so she can control things and make it all about her, and make the kids blame you for the divorce.

I "hope" it's because she wants to do the best thing for the kids and reassure to them that you being gay doesn't change your relationship with your kids and that you still love them unconditionally.

I'm hoping for the second...

18. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    - Jim, thank you again for your invaluable support! I do indeed think that this person may become an ally, she has never seen me before so meeting her personally may change the dynamic significantly. My ex's problem is the past, she can't let it go and she uses the neat trick of my telling her so as self-serving on my part.

-Mav, I certainly hope for the second option as well, it is a good sign, I think, that my ex recognizes that help is needed.

She has used every predictable cliché in the book: we married under false pretenses, I was never her friend, I wasted the best years of her life (and I did what??), I was a coward, it was ALL my fault, and I'm a bad parent to boot...I must be the devil incarnate...and she a helpless innocent angel who got sucked into my vortex of evil and who gave me every chance to leave years earlier (yeah, sure).

Well if that narrative works for her, I don't care. I know the truth and so do the kids.

I swear, I think she's going to book us on Oprah very soon!

19. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Yeah, I saw you were approaching 4,000 posts. I can imagine that's like unloading a ton of bricks for you. Because you had previously mentioned she suspected, it usually isn't a big deal. Per stories I've heard (and, yes, movies I've seen), it IS a big deal when they had been in the dark on the issue of the spouse's sexuality the whole while. So that part went over smoothly, because that's about you, in her mind, and not about her ... and she seems very focused on herself.

---------- Post added 11th Mar 2014 at 09:39 AM ----------

Now, this was sort of predictable - that she would play games. She seems to enjoy heaping guilt on you and, most likely, on others. I wonder about the quantity and quality of her friends. This is about her, so she'll play these cards.

Like your status goes: "... and a few more." Once you clear a few more hurdles, you'll rest better, I think.

What a relief, though.

#19 Tightrope, Mar 11, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 11, 2014
  20. SaleGayGuy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hi GreatWhale

Congratulations on the not too painful divorce and getting closure on that chapter of your life and for crossing the T’s and dotting the I’s by coming out to your ex-wife now that the dust has settled. I hope any nonsense over access rights to your kids is soon resolved amicably and that they accept you as gay.

I’ve not been on EC much recently but note from some of your postings that you are a fan of some of the musicians I like e.g. Passenger, Jake Bugg, and from a long time ago (70s) I remember Gordon Lightfoot with the “Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald”. If you like UK artists with slightly unusual voices have a listen to Hobbie Stuart, this is one of his own songs that I particularly like. Hobbie Stuart - How We Lived - YouTube

Sale Gay Guy