1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Movie?

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by skiff, Mar 19, 2014.

1. skiff

skiff Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Hi,

Is there a gay movie (good one) where the gay relationship is just "natural" and secondary to the story line?

I am not looking for a story of gay angst, or gay suffering. I just want to see a healthy relationship in a movie.

I hated "The Birdcage" as it made a farce of being gay. "Brokeback Mountain" too sad, too close to reality.

Is there a gay movie where the relationship shines as natural, authentic, loving but is just part of the story, not the main story?

Tom

#1 skiff, Mar 19, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2014
  2. Molly1977

"Weekend" by andrew hague - a british film that came out in 2011. about two young men who have a one night stand and fall in love the week before one of them moves to America. Very sweet but a bit sad. I love this film

3. skiff

skiff Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Hi,

God I hate RuPaul's drag queen reality show. I hate all the staged "reality" shows. Are people that ignorant that they believe this fictional trash is real?

May as well watch professional wrestling,

Spoiler alert! Hint... Amish mafia and moon shiners not reality.

Tom

4. Molly1977

Watch "Weekend" then. Have you heard of it in America? I can not stress how lovely this film is, a natural gay relationship where two nice, smart, good looking young men spend some time together and fall in love. As its set in Midlands England (Nottingham) so some of the dialogue could be a bit hard to understand for an American audience, some of it I couldn't understand and I live here, but watch it a few times and I promise you will fall in love with this super cute couple.

5. skiff

skiff Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Hi Molly,

I watched a couple clips on YouTube and it is exactly what I want. Definitely well written and acted.

All the natural subtext is there...

Weekend (2011) - A Costly Mug - YouTube

I have watched tons of Brit programming so I am one Yank who has an ear for it.

Thanks!

Tom

6. Molly1977

Hi Tom,

Let me know when you have seen it and if you like it. I really hope you do.

Molly xxx

7. White Knight

I have two favorite feel good gay movies but they are not really about happy couples. At least there isn't much angst in them.

First one is a comedy: Eating out 2: Sloppy Seconds. I watch it every time I feel down, it is guaranteed laughs.

Second one is Were the World Mine, a musical, Shakespear and interesting story makes it worth to watch.

Not a movie but if you like comic strips here is the one with my perfect couple.

Adam & Andy Comic

Weekend is on my "to watch" list. After your messages looking forward to see it.

8. Molly1977

Hi White Knight, when you have seen it do let me know if you liked it.

One of the men is now a screen writer and the other one acts in Downton Abbey but this is where they started and they have very much progressed with their careers.

9. Molly1977

10. White Knight

Hmmm... that list lacks Get Real.

Still have some I didn't see yet. Thanks again Molly.

You are awesome. :grin:

11. skiff

skiff Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
  12. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    One that I highly recommend is "Wedding Banquet" It's the story of a very loving and committed couple, one of whom is Korean, and his parents (in Korea) have no idea he's gay. They are constantly trying to fix him up, so he tells them he's marrying, and his parents come over for the wedding... and a predictable and humorous set of circumstances develop as they try to keep the secret from him. It's got comedic elements, but also a lot of drama and a very moving and touching story.

Probably one of my favorite films.

13. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I don't know of any. I would agree with the above mentions. I did not see "Birdcage," but from the clips or what I've read, I wouldn't like it. I did not like "Brokeback Mountain" either because it was so dark and, while it can be close to reality, it was the reality of that time and today's reality could still be like that in some ways, yet different. If I recall, that took place when Eisenhower values and sentiment prevailed in America.

"Making Love" is an older flick, but it shakes out in the end. Harry Hamlin keeps doing the one night stands. Michael Ontkean takes a job in New York and finds someone with whom he settles down.

I haven't seen many recent ones, though, but being released around 2005, "Brokeback Mountain" is somewhat recent. Some like "Shelter" and others are recent, but they are also riddled with some kind of drama and angst.

14. Ethan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Reccomending this one as well. Directed by Ang Lee, one of my favorites.
    You might know him from his more recent work like Life of Pi, Brokeback Mountain, and Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon.

15. BlueSky224

The Kids are All Right is by far my favorite. It has mind-blowing performances by Julianne Moore and Annette Bening. I've watched it again and again, and it doesn't get old.

16. thrnvlpidj

Just finished enjoying Toast :thumbsup:

17. White Knight

Awww yeah Helena Bohem Carter. I loved Toast.

I am half way thru Weekend. It looks good so far.

I also have Pit Stop. It looks interesting as well.

18. Molly1977

Hi White Knight, what do you think of weekend?

19. White Knight

Will let you know tonight after finish watching it.

Last night I had to leave it in middle in order to catch our Thursday teaming gathering time on an online game.

So far it looks good.

20. biAnnika

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    *Love* this movie, but I can hardly say that the characters' sexuality is only incidental (except inasmuch as it contains a great example of bi-invisibility...they made damned sure that at least the one lead character's sexuality was secondary).

My partner and I have the DVD of Love, Actually, and in the deleted scenes, there was a lovely little plotline that was eliminated that revolved around Harry and Sarah's son's school principal and her partner, who happened to be dying of cancer (and whom I believe is still referred to in the actual movie; just without elaboration). To me, that was a really beautiful example of an instance of homosexual love, where the sexuality was completely incidental.

Now I *know* Love, Actually is far from a "gay movie"...with the deletion of that plotline, it is actually a cringingly *straight* movie. But I think the whole concept of "gay movie where the sexuality is only incidental" is kind of paradoxical. If it's a "gay movie" then the sexuality is not incidental...to me it sounds like what you want is a *movie* where the characters *happen* to be gay, but needn't have been. And to me, that deleted plotline from Love, Actually provided exactly that.

It's such a shame it was deleted...but I see their point that the film was already way too long and had too many plot lines...this one was almost certainly the easiest to disentangle from the rest and eliminate.