1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My quest for acceptance..

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by Richie., Mar 19, 2014.

1. Richie.

So after my third session of therapy, it seems I'm actually seeking acceptance, this isn't from anyone other than myself..

Also there is a lot of negativity from people in my life about homosexuality some of which I have taken on board.. Probably why I stayed closeted for so long..

The reason I'm tired all the time is because I'm racked with guilt, this was the message I received loud and clear in the latest session, guilt.. I need to stop taking responsibility for all the guilt I perceive..

My therapist says I have a lot to work through. I think she is right, she seems optimistic I shall find my way... I am not so much but I have to have confidence in her to move forward..

Next week in the last session before my wife moves out,this also featured heavily in my session.. A finality to out marriage...

Onwards and upwards guys

#1 Richie., Mar 19, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2014
  2. Choirboy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    We all go through this in our own way, don't we? For me, tossing out the guilt and accepting myself was what triggered me to shove the closet door open and look out. For other people, realizing they're gay and starting out of the closet happens long before they have really accepted it and dealt with it. I'm not sure which route is easier, but I know it's a terribly personal thing that we all have to do our own way.

Guilt is something that has always been in the background for me, too. My whole family is Catholic--we made guilt into an art form, after all!

Part of dealing with it, for me, was creating a clear distinction in my mind between guilt and responsibility. Think of the difference in a legal sense. If you get behind the wheel drunk and mow down a kid on a bicycle who happens to veer unexpectedly into your lane, you are guilty of driving drunk and will be sent to jail for it. You had a choice to drink and drive, or not, and you made a choice that was irresponsible, illegal, and ultimately fatal for an innocent person. But if you are in full control, but are looking in the wrong direction at the wrong time, and don't happen to see the kid on the bicycle, you aren't guilty of any wrongdoing, even though the end result is the same for the kid.

OK, so that makes it sound like my marriage was a car accident or a train wreck or something! (Bad, bad John!) But I hope you get the correlation. When I got married, I was looking in the wrong direction at the wrong time. I knew I was gay but with my non-existent knowledge of what that meant, I thought that it was something that would disappear if I married the right person. I was wrong, and people were hurt in the process. But it's not like I messed around with guys and got married on a whim because I felt like it, knowing full well that I could mess up lives in the process. We, all of us here, didn't marry for selfish reasons, and we believed we could make it work. We may be responsible for the aftermath, and it's OK to feel bad about it, but feeling guilty is something to try and get past. You didn't go into this trying to hurt anyone--just the opposite. You were just looking in the wrong direction at the wrong time.

3. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Good post. Right. It is different. There are people who are not that sexually experienced, or only have had sexual rapport with their prospective spouse, and may have a vague inkling or a very clear idea that they are interested to some degree in the same sex, who go on to marry.

Then, there are people who sow the wild oats in a big way with sexual partners of the same sex. They then stop, reassess the past, the present, and the future ... and marry a spouse of the opposite sex. This doesn't happen a lot, but it does happen. I've known of a few instances like this. I don't know all the details. It's the latter that is inherently more problematic.

Many people who are gay, or even with bisexuality they later need to appease, marry someone from their neighborhood, college, or from their first employer because their intentions were good. People change ... or, better yet, people learn about themselves as time goes by. Marriage carries some degree of risk ... even for straight couples.

It would be interesting to see how many situations like this are Scenario I and how many are Scenario II.

4. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Richie, if you haven't already, I'd strongly encourage you to check out Brené Brown's three TED talks (search them out on Youtube)

TedX Houston - The Power of Vulnerability
    TedX Kansas City - The Price of Invulnerability
    TED - Listening to Shame

The issues you're dealing with are rooted in shame: the deep, fundamental belief that you aren't worthy of love and belonging (hence the self-acceptance.) Dr. Brown's work is squarely in that space, and I think you'll find the above videos enlightening and helpful. Many have described them as transformational.

I'd also suggest you check out a UK group called TheQuestAwaitsYou.com. They are a marvelous bunch of people who put on some amazing workshops for gay men, several of which are based on Dr. Brown's work. If you can possibly get to one or more of them, I think you'll be amazed at what it can be like to be surrounded by affirming gay people who are all experiencing the same things you are, and working through them.