1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Skeptics

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by SuperShy, Mar 22, 2014.

1. SuperShy

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Family only
    I am 38, I came out last year to my family but I feel like they don't believe that I'm a lesbian. Based on questions they asked when I came out and by the indifference to it. When I told my sister she asked "are you sure?" I also told my mom and she said "maybe you're confused." Since I came out a year ago they don't ask any more questions almost like they forgot. I am not sure what to make of it. Not sure if anyone else has experienced this.

2. HopeFloats

I think that's pretty typical. I heard similar things, especially when I came out the first time. No one ever brought it up again and I never introduced them to a girlfriend. I did have several over the years but never brought them around my family. Then I tried to be straight for 10+ years. Now that I'm coming out again, only one person has directly asked me if I'm sure or if it's "just a phase" or "experiment." Others have asked my girlfriend if she's sure I'm gay.

I think it helps that I'm dating someone. My friends and family can ask about her - it gives a specific topic for them or me to bring up. Otherwise, it can be hard for our straight family and friends to ask about I think.

3. DeLuna

DeLuna Guest

A lot of people have asked me if i'm going through a "phase"............ It is a actually very common question.

4. I get an ''are you sure'' no matter what I identify myself as...

5. SuperShy

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Family only
    Oh and I also got "you don't act like it." So dumb!

6. thrnvlpidj

That's my story too (except for the lesbian part)

7. setnyx

i've gotten are you sure & just a phase alot. the funniest thing was when my gf of 3 years and i broke up, my cousin said oh good now you can go back to being straight. wtf. lol

8. a1rborne

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    This is normal, often parents do not touch the topic on their own. It is YOUR job to keep the discussion going on. For example, I intentionally force my mom about every second week to discuss about gay topic with me. Initially, discussing with me about my being gay or another general gay topic was not easy for her, but by now she really got used to it! :icon_wink

#8 a1rborne, Mar 24, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 24, 2014