1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

is sweden safe?

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by markosss, Mar 24, 2014.

1. markosss

Is sweden safe for a gay family to live in? What about school and discrimination? If not wich country is the best for a gay family?

2. Shizune

Is Sweden safe for a gay family to live in?
    I would say so. It's against the law to insult, bully, attack etc. someone because of their religion, race, sexual orientation, gender identity etc. Some people are idiots and they would perhaps make a mean comment if you kissed your partner in front of everyone in the middle of a city and some people would perhaps cheer. But over all Sweden is a really accepting country. I must say that people are more accepting in larger cities such as Stockholm and Gothenburg.

What about school and discrimination?
    It really depends on which school you are going to and your classmates, but as I mentioned it's against the law to bully or discriminate someone because of their religion, race, sexual orentation, gender identity etc. I can not talk for all schools, but in my school one of my teachers became really mad when she heard that someone had made remarks about my orientation.

If I had taken the same school my classmates from my last school, then they would probably bully me(they were idiots -.-). In the school I'm going to now most people don't really care. But I have heard some rumours and it's this one person who is pretty stupid and makes a comment now and then, but that's just one person.

But as I said, people don't really care and and it really depends on the school and classmates.

--------------
    School and and the country itself aren't scary. The scariest thing about Sweden is actually my older relatives (50+) and especially grandmas and grandpas who are full of prejudice.

In conclusion, Sweden is a lovely country with lovely schools and people (bonus+ you can get married!), but there are some stupid people in this country and a lot of old people are full of prejudice. :slight_smile:

#2 Shizune, Mar 24, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 24, 2014
  3. FireSmoke

FireSmoke Guest

But stupid people are everywhere. The most important thing is don't care about them.

4. Shizune

I know that stupid people are everywhere but I still think it's important to mention them even though. As I said Sweden is a lovely country and the situation for gay people in Sweden is probably one of the best in the world.

5. markosss

Thank you very much for your answer.I really appreciate it.sweden sounds like a very gay friendly country.(well every place have some homophobic idiots)i thank again both of you for the time you spend to reply.

6. White Knight

Use condom. You can never be sure with Sweden! :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Okay now my lame joke out of the way I can say I have no idea about Sweden. However even in here, Turkey, if you have money and a foreigner people don't mind what you do. If you are poor and Turk... get ready to be verbal abuse and verbal bullying... and men trying to get into your pants. We are very weird bunch. :/

7. PatrickUK

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I would have thought Sweden to be one of the best places in the world for a gay family.

8. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If Sweden isn't safe, I don't know whether there is any safer place on the planet!

As for Turkey, I was told by a Turkish friend that if you want to avoid the draft for being gay, you have to prove it to the authorities...with videotaped evidence...

9. White Knight

Ah that thing. It is if you want to avoid getting into military service. I never faced those as I went to and finished it without any trouble. Hmmm if you don't count me being worst marksman in the human history. I made mad my superiors with my "awesome" shooting skills. :grin:

That thing change according to who you ask. Some says photos are enough some says they want videos and some says they decide after a medical examination.

Forcing people into military service is stupid and inhuman in the first place. Some might don't want to "trained killers" maybe?

10. markosss

What do you mean when you say medical examination?

11. Reddy

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    If you moan during your prostate exam and ask for a repeat?

12. Shizune

Sweden is safe! I just had a bad day when I wrote that reply. (I shouldn't write replies when I have a bad days).
    To clear things up:
    1. most people don't care about your orientation
    2. it's agaist the law to harm someone in any way because of their orientation
    3. there are some(not many) idiots in Sweden(as in every part of the world)
    4. old people tend to have more predjudice towards gay people than the younger generation, but old people will probably make a remark and leave it at that(or go on if they have come up with something really "clever to say").(I can not talk for all old people so I just talk for my relatives.)
    5. Sweden is safe(in my first comment I mostly mentioned the bad things and not the good things, because I was and am just a bit pessimistic.)
    6. a lot o people will just be happy for you if you find a partner
    7. Sweden is one of the best places in the world for gay people

Conclusion(again): Lovely country with mostly opened minded people, but with old people who might dislike you and the easiest way to make them shout up is to say that you are going to call the police if they don't shout up.(just kidding) :slight_smile:

#12 Shizune, Mar 29, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 29, 2014