1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Jewish Divorce Today

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by greatwhale, Mar 25, 2014.

1. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Greetings folks,

Well, today is the day of the divorce ceremony (the "Get"). On my way to the Jewish court, the Beth Din, I will be bringing with me 400 bucks and the ketubah (traditional Jewish wedding contract) that I made myself for the occasion or our wedding 21 years ago. I had to do it twice because I wasn't satisfied with my first attempt at Hebrew calligraphy:

[​IMG]

This document specifies the day, date and place of the wedding and the husband's traditional obligations with regard to supporting the wife. Quite traditional, and in today's context unacceptably sexist. Interestingly, it already spells out the amounts that I would have to pay in case of divorce (in a currency called "zuzim", I don't know if there is a conversion rate for zuzim to CDN but I'm quite sure I'm paying it now with spousal and child support!).

I'm not sure what they're going to do with the document, I am told it is to be torn...if it is, I will take that as a powerful statement of the end of our marriage, laden with emotion and significance. The perfect artistic statement if you think about it, who knows, I may put the torn pieces back in the frame it lived in during our marriage as a reminder to never again get into something like this without being absolutely sure (and even then...).

2. BookDragon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Seems a shame to rip something so pretty...

On the other hand, glad to see you getting what you need!

3. BMC77

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Beautiful contract! It's a shame it'll be torn. Although I like the idea of reframing it as a reminder.

4. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If it does get torn, I don't see it as a shame. This document was always about theatricality, it looked impressive up there on the stage as the cantor read it during the wedding ceremony, and I suspect it will look impressive during the divorce ceremony.

There's a beautiful quote by W.B. Yeats:

The customs of our tradition are very much geared to bring forth new beginnings, whether at a wedding or a divorce, the ceremony and ritual are meaningful and touch us deeply. They mark milestones that are memorable and involve the whole community.

As an aside: my ex-wife has often made the snide remark (when she suspected my gayness) that there was a reason I drew two male birds (they're supposed to be peacocks) facing each other...:dry:

5. BlueSky224

חזק ואמץ
    (Be strong; have courage)

6. biAnnika

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Best of luck to you, Mr. Whale...this is a meaningful event, and your bringing more meaning to it, which makes even the payment worthwhile.

And your ex's comment was certainly snide...but it was also funny. *smile* (Well, if it's been oft-made, then at least the *first* time, it was funny *sigh*.)

7. LuluD

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Hi. I'm pretty new here - a straight wife, though - came across this site after my husband came out to me - it has given me alot of information as to what is going on in his head and our lives. We are also Jewish, he will be moving out shortly, but he has told me he doesn't want to give me a "get". We are divorced in court but that was done years ago due to a business transaction that went wrong and was done to protect me and the kids. We are best friends and have the most amazing relationship and I think that the "get" is the one thing that will keep us "tied" together. He said he will only give it to me if I ever want to remarry (the chances are quite slim there though as I have stage 4 breast cancer)!! Good luck with your new found "freedom".

8. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thank you for your message, and welcome to EC! I am truly sorry to hear of your illness!

You are both very lucky to be getting along so well, I am truly envious. In my case, there has been so much unnecessary drama surrounding this. Yes, it is tragic that the marriage had to end, but all the revenge tactics that followed on her part have been costly and damaging to any future collaboration she and I could undertake to continue parenting our kids.

Yes, "freedom" is indeed what it is. In Jewish law marriage is forever in the sense that even after a formal divorce, the husband (rightly) has obligations of support, and I assume these obligations wholeheartedly. All I can hope is that time will heal these wounds.

9. GayDadStr8Marig

@Greatwhale, this is another major milestone in your journey and I still find inspiration in your wisdom. While the contract is a beautiful document, I agree with you that it was a theatrical device and having the torn pieces framed as a reminder of the folly of trying to live out of integrity with ourselves is an even more powerful and beautiful message worth remembering.

@LuluD it breaks my heart to hear that you consider a future relationship unlikely due to your fight with cancer. Please try to turn that line of thinking around, use the hope for a future relationship with someone who can fully love you as a husband should for his wife give you the strength and courage to fight this battle to your fullest. You deserve it for yourself and your children.

10. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    So...it's done.

The Beth Din consists of three rabbis, there were also two "professional witnesses" and a scribe.

They went through a thorough check of my name and any other names or nicknames I could be known as (I didn't mention greatwhale...), they made sure that I was doing this of my own free will and that I had made no oaths or commitments related to the Get prior to this, going so far as to invalidate any such oaths or agreements that I could have made in error.

The wife has to receive the Get from me directly, going so far as having the scribe give me the writing materials (in front of witnesses) so that I can delegate the writing of the Get back to him with "my" writing implements.

I had to wait an hour for the Get to be written. At the end of that, I "gave" back the writing implements to the scribe. The two witnesses and the rabbis checked if everything was in order with the text, the witnesses signed. The plain-text hand-calligraphied document, having no other writing or images on it, was then folded in a certain way, given to me and I held it in both raised hands while I recited words to the effect that I release her to marry other men and that we are now divorced.

During this time, her hands were raised, palms up ready to receive the document. She was not supposed to move or to appear to reach and take it from me, it had to be received completely passively. I gently put the Get in her hand, she was then instructed to fold it and to place it under her right arm, against her chest, and to take a few symbolic steps away from me.

When I gave her the document, she didn't even look at me...

We were both given official certificates of divorce with our pictures on it, we each signed two copies. The marriage contract (ketubah), pictured above, was unceremoniously folded in four, after lines were drawn across it, invalidating the ketubah. As it really belongs to her, she had the final say on what to do with it; she decided to leave it in their offices. I will never see it again, which is fine by me.

Everyone was kind, it was done efficiently. One of the witnesses came to the waiting room to chat with me while we waited. They wished us all good luck and then we left. For years I had visions of me walking out of this ceremony jumping in the air and kicking my heels. But I realized that I no longer think like a married man, I had already been through the rabbit hole; I am alone again. I calmly walked out and started to think of other things, I was completely indifferent, no emotion, nothing.

Now, I am fully "free".

11. BMC77

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Glad it's over. In a way, it's too bad the contract is gone--it really looked stunning, at least to these eyes--but perhaps it's better than the reminder of that marriage is totally gone.

---------- Post added 25th Mar 2014 at 01:49 PM ----------

Probably it's best you didn't mention greatwhale. But it would be interesting if you had, and they'd thoroughly researched the name. :lol:

---------- Post added 25th Mar 2014 at 01:52 PM ----------

One other thought: if your wife continues to give grief, you can use this Get to point out that the marriage is over.

Also: if she tries to throw up road blocks with the coming out to your children process, you might consider pointing out that you worked with her on this Get to free her to move on, and, if she so desires, pursue a future relationship, and you deserve the same right.

12. biAnnika

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Wow, Mr. Whale...congratulations on your new-found (newly purchased, really) freedom!
    Excitement or no excitement, you owe it to yourself to raise a glass (or two or more) this evening in recognition of the end of an era.

I do suspect that the emotion is there, but will take some time to surface, and in unexpected ways. I only mention it as a heads-up. Best wishes, my friend!

13. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Do scan it before destroying it or tearing it up, if you haven't already done so. I don't know. I tend to do that sort of thing. Of course, the scan isn't displayed. It would just be archived deep in the bowels of your computer or in a safe box somewhere.

It's a beautiful piece of work. You've got quite a hand. I'd bet the first rendition probably looked good, but you were probably a harsh critic of your own work.

I had to convert $400 Canadian into our currency. It would be annoying, but it's not all that bad. Religious organizations usually see some kind of honorarium for every type of event.

Also, in the photo, I see two hands. The one on the left looks to be an engagement ring. The one on the right, at the top, appears to be a traditional gold band. Who are the parties holding up the document?

14. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Perceptive eye, Tightrope. Indeed the little hands on the left are of my ex, and the hand on the right is mine, with the newly placed wedding band...it was a very nice wedding actually...

15. Theron

I'd forgotten how complicated Jewish divorce was....mostly because my mother's side of the family wants nothing to do with me. =/

Congratulations on your freedom! May you find real love!

Zuzim always makes me think of chad gadya. XD

16. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    :roflmao: well that's perfect, what with Passover coming!

By the way, I forgot to mention that right after the Get ceremony today, I went for a doctor's appointment; the same GP I've been seeing since the early 90's, and I came out to him.

I had to because a series of blood tests I had done at a gay-friendly clinic will need to be sent to him and well, just because I felt like shaking things up a little....maybe that's what you meant Annika, how the emotion surfaces in unexpected ways...

17. Brave Prince

You have fascinating stories. Thank you for sharing.

18. skiff

skiff Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Ar...

Don't sell yourself short. As the old saying goes "Don't bite off your nose to spite your face".

I was just chatting with Joe Kort. He said to seek a partner among gay men who were married as they have superior relationship skills no commonly found in gay community.

You sir are a catch.

I hope you find a partner, true love and marriage again.

Don't second guess yourself. The past is gone.

Tom

19. biAnnika

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    This is a fascinating difference from the lesbian world (which I am not part of, but have a reasonable amount of exposure to), where if you've ever had a serious relationship with the opposite sex, you become persona non grata.

LOL, it *almost* sounds like the straight world, where the fact that I've had a long term relationship with a female partner makes me (inexplicably) attractive to straight guys. Huh...maybe it's a guy thing??

20. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Maybe it's a guy thing, maybe it isn't...but being a catch implies I might get caught with Mr. Wrong this time!

Confirmed bachelorhood is looking pretty good after all this...:dry: