1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

General advice

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by Molly1977, Mar 29, 2014.

1. Molly1977

Hello everyone,

Has anyone ever lived or been to Cardiff, Wales? Is there a good Gay scene there? Is there plenty of work there? The reason I ask is I am thinking of moving and Cardiff was one of the places I was thinking about.

Also can anyone recommend any books about what it is like to be a lesbian? Biographies, novels etc that accurately explain what it is like to be gay and female.

Many thanks
    Molly x

:icon_bigg

2. azure au

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Sorry molly I did not see your post before. I don't know any great books but did a search and found a couple I thought were interesting around coming out later in life, and leaving heterosexual marriage as a lesbian.

Dear John, I Love Jane I loved the title, and it seems to be real life memoirs of women in this situation.

Lesbian epiphanies, women coming out later in life. This one is for counselors to gain an understanding of the factors that prevented women coming out.

I am pleasantly surprised with how many books are available along this theme. My other thought was that here in my city we have a womens library although most don't know about it. It might be worth chatting with some of your friends from the community and seeing if something similar exists where you are. Please share if you find any great reads.

#2 azure au, Apr 1, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 1, 2014
  3. Butterfly72

Hi Molly. I read Lesbian epiphanies, women coming out later in life not long ago and found it a good read. Cardiff, I have never been there myself but have been told its a bit like Brighton and I love Brighton... so maybe go for a visit and see if you like the vibe of it. Do you know anyone that lives there?

4. Molly1977

Hello, thansk for the advice, I dont know anyone who lives in Cardiff I just want to go somewhere that I haven't been to before. I want to move away from Cambridge, its too small here with not much going on. London is too expensive so I thought I would try Cardiff. Don't know if I will move or not but I am looking forward to getting away for a few days.

5. CharlieChalk

Hey.

Sorry this is a super late reply, but I went to Cardiff for University, so I have a pretty decent knowledge about Cardiff.

I don't specifically know a lot about the gay scene as I didn't really go there at all whilst I was at uni, but from what I remember there are a fair few gay clubs in one specific section of town and a lot of people I know actually prefer those clubs to 'normal' clubs. The city itself is great. I'm not a big city person - I hate being in over-crowded places etc, but it's one of those places that it is big enough for people to find their place and have stuff to do but small enough that it is easy to get around by foot or public transport.

I don't know what else you want to know about Cardiff, but feel free to ask me questions about it and I'll do my best to answer :slight_smile:

6. Molly1977

Hi charlie,

thanks very much for your post. I live in Cambridge at the moment and although it is a nice town it's very small with no gay scene at all. I've never had a relationship as there is no one here to have a relationship with.

I visited Cardiff in April and found it really nice and welcoming, i am going back next month to have another look around. I very much want to go and have applied for some jobs at the University (I work at Cambridge Uni at the moment). Hopefully i will be in Cardiff by the end of the year as i had a really good feeling about it and I think it will be a better place for me regarding the gay scene. The fact that I am feeling so positive about it makes me so determined to go.

Thanks for messaging me, everyone who I have spoken too has good things to say about the town so I am looking forward to going.

Love Molly x

7. CharlieChalk

Hey Molly,

That sounds awesome!

I hope everything goes well with it - Cardiff is really a lovely place and if I ever go back, it will be with a smile on my face.

I hope you're there by the end of the year too! :slight_smile:

8. bingostring

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I expect Cardiff is as good as any city - and they will adore your daffodils. But I am surprised Cambridge has nothing going for it. All those students and intellectuals and just an hour from London too!

9. Yossarian

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Molly, a lot of whether a place is good or bad for you is how you think of it. Since you have a positive attitude about Cardiff, and will search for the best things about it when you get there, I expect you will find it a lovely new place and a great new adventure for you as you explore it and find what you are seeking. Have at it, girl!