1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coming out update

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by bigeagle, Mar 30, 2014.

1. bigeagle

Hi guys,

I've not posted for a while so thought it might help me and others to get up to date.

Well... Over the past month or so, I have told my close circle of friends. I am struggling to use the word gay and have been saying I have 'sexuality issues'. Anyway, I have told a few good male friends and a couple - all responses have been very positive and supportive.

My biggest concern has been telling my folks. On Saturday morning, I drove the 100 mile trip. Arrived at my folks house without warning, and told them what was going on. I have moved out the family home, leaving my wife and baby. I told them I have been very depressed and have been struggling with my sexuality. Again, I never told them I'm gay, maybe I just didn't want to use this label. My folks were obviously shocked with the news but their response surprised me. They were upset but very calm.

Would be good to hear from others, either about to tell the folks or recently done so.

I feel much better now the 'big one' has been dealt with!

2. BlueSky224

Bigeagle,

First of all, congratulations. Here's a pat on the back (or hug) from the other side of the Atlantic.

I think it's totally reasonable to use the term "sexuality issues." Yes, it's a euphemism. But if the choice is between using a euphemism or remaining silent, choose the former.

I've talked to many guys about their experiences with their friends and families. It's entirely unpredictable. Some of the most conservative parents get a "shock to the system" and respond well. Others take some time, but they relax and respond with sensitivity, curiosity, or a mix thereof.

My parents were unbelievably awful. They were dyed-in-wool liberals, committed to social justice in every way... just not when it came to me. My mother thought it would be easier if I were dead. But that was in 1996, and much of the world has evolved.

Despite the damning response from my parents, I think it is always better to take the risk and tell them. My ex still refuses to tell his parents, and he's 35. I mean--he used to have a sewing machine and wore Capri pants in high school. His mother would probably have a dramatic and religious response, but she would probably be relieved. I was known as a "friend," even though we lived together. I'm sure his father had figured this out.

In a broader sense, I think many people mellow as they grow older. And the staunch anti-gay voices in the US and the UK have lost the wind from their sails. It's harder for parents and family members to find anti-gay rhetoric in the media and in religious institutions.

Again, congratulations on moving forward.

3. Jim1454

Congratulations for coming out to them. When I told my parents that my wife and I were separating, I didn't have the nerve to tell them then that I was gay. Instead when they asked why I said "The reasons are personal and we'd rather not discuss them." It took me 9 more months to get the nerve up to tell them.

So you're doing just fine.

You maybe need to work on you - and figure out what the hang up is with identifying as gay. It isn't a bad word at all - unless you think it is.

4. bigeagle

Thanks blue sky and Jim.

Jim, I agree I have lots of work to do on 'my self' and understand why I'm struggling so much with the word gay. Saying I have 'sexuality issues' is very vague, but to be honest it's as accurate as I can be right now. At the age of 41, I have deep seated internalised homophobia and it is going to take time and effort to break this down. I see my counsellor in 2 weeks and hopefully she can help me.

Onwards and upwards!

5. bigeagle

Thanks blue sky and Jim.

Jim, I agree I have lots of work to do on 'my self' and understand why I'm struggling so much with the word gay. Saying I have 'sexuality issues' is very vague, but to be honest it's as accurate as I can be right now. At the age of 41, I have deep seated internalised homophobia and it is going to take time and effort to break this down. I see my counsellor in 2 weeks and hopefully she can help me.

Onwards and upwards!

6. Spaceman

I told my parents a week after telling my wife and they've been nothing but supportive. I drove 5 hours to tell them face to face. I sat them down and prefaced it by explaining that I'd been depressed for a long time and finally admitted to myself the reason why. They knew I had something big to tell them and I think they were relived that it wasn't something more serious. They're liberal and not at all homophobic so I was fairly certain of a positive reaction, so your mileage may vary. Wishing you the best.

7. Wolf123

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Wow! I am very happy for you (!)That is awesome :thumbsup::thumbsup::eusa_danc

8. azure au

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I can only imagine the relief you must be feeling. Congratulations

9. Yossarian

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Bigeagle, you have been told all your life that there is something wrong about being gay; no wonder that this message has become internalized. Let the intellectual part of your brain tell the emotional part of your brain, that this is false, that there is nothing wrong about being gay or short or black or red-headed, or anything else in the palette of differences that nature created. It is just another difference and variation in the human composition, and it has fallen on you to carry this particular difference. You did not choose it and you don't have to be embarrassed that other people have trouble dealing with it. You are getting your life in order to become your authentic self, and "gay" is just the term used to describe your sexuality, not a put down, unless you choose to let it be. Don't.

10. bigeagle

Thanks everyone! These are pretty strange times for me but what I can confirm, and hopefully this will help others, my long lasting depression has gone. Admittedly, I have dips in my mood but I am generally positive about the future. The dark, painful feelings of desperation no longer haunt me. I am now on the right path. The path is unclear and uncertain, but it is definitely the right one for me.