1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Small steps to coming out ...

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by Jezza69, Apr 4, 2014.

1. Jezza69

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    A new thread as I start to take steps to getting in control of my life.

Things came to a head today and my wife knows things are not all well with me - I have agreed to see a counsellor to help me which I knew I needed - he can help me become strong enough to 1) be comfortable with myself and 2) prepare me with the strength to help myself and my wife through this change in our lives.

I feel a cheat that I know what may come but I want to be as strong as I can for my wife when we do talk - she wants me to be happy but I don't know if else will understand what it will take.

I feel slightly better that I have taken a step forward. In a few weeks I have accepted myself as gay, told a close friend and taken a small step to get help. It still terrifies me to think of the hurt I will cause but I think I am becoming more aware that it is something I have to do for all our sakes and I live in the hope that our love will enable us to be friends and support each other through the journey we will be on.

Tonight, I may sleep a LITTLE easier - I am exhausted which doesn't help either.

2. StillAround

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    (*hug*)You've taken a very big step forward! Accepting yourself as gay is a Very Big Deal (TM)!

And telling a close friend and thinking about seeing a counsellor are huge as well!

How did your friend react?

We're all here for you. Congratulations!

(*hug*)

3. thrnvlpidj

If your wife wants you to be happy that will make it easier.

If your wife wants to make you happy make sure you get enough sleep.