1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pilgrimage to San Francisco

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by Spaceman, Apr 8, 2014.

1. Spaceman

I recently had the opportunity to visit San Francisco with the guy I've been dating. After checking in to our hotel, we took the subway to the Castro District, the epicenter of the gay universe.

Stepping out of the station was like entering an alternate universe. The kind of place I'd often fantasized about, where being gay was the rule, not the exception. A place where we could walk down the street holding hands without fear or embarrassment. We explored the shops, had a great meal and soaked up the atmosphere.

After dinner, we found ourselves standing at the intersection of Castro and Market, the heart of the gayest neighborhood in the gayest city in the US. I turned to him and said, "There's only one thing to do." I put my hand behind his head, pulled him toward me and kissed him passionately as the world walked by…and no one gave us a second look. It's a moment I can't stop thinking about. And after 30 years of hiding, the closest thing to freedom I've ever known.

2. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    That is totally awesome, Spaceman!! Congratulations!

3. biAnnika

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Oooh, I am so jealous...would *love* to visit there! Hmmm, or live there.

But I am also thrilled for you that you got to experience it. If it's at all close to you, Provincetown, MA is nice in a similar way...and I hear Key West is as well, although I've never been.

4. BlueSky224

That's so sweet!
    I used to pass by Castro and Market all the time. I guess it never occurred to me that there is actually one important thing to do in that very place.

5. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Such a lovely story. I admit I'm quite numbed because public displays of affection among LGBT people are pretty common in most all of the parts of California where I've lived... and equally so in Oberlin (OH), where I spent some 10 years before moving out here.

But it is an incredible feeling when you first realize it's OK to be who you are, isn't it?

6. azure au

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I bet that was the best kiss ever! I am so glad you had that experience. I live in a city where 30% of people surveyed still think same sex couples are sinful.

7. Spaceman

Thanks everyone. One funny thing is that I was more comfortable with the public display of affection than the guy I was with...and he's been completely out for 30 years. Never thought I'd be pushing his boundaries.

8. Jim1454

Fantastic story! I'm so happy for you!!! I know exactly what you mean - that's why we love visiting our 'Gay Village' here in Toronto.

My husband and I will be visiting San Francisco this summer, and I want to visit the Castro area as well. Maybe that will be the 'trifecta' of gay US destinations for us - because we've been to Provincetown, Key West, and now San Francisco! Can't wait!

9. GayDadStr8Marig

Spaceman, this is definitely on my bucket list. Congrats to you!

10. biAnnika

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    LOL, I *love* the idea of an LGBT trifecta!! George Bush had his; we should definitely have ours!

11. Cool Bananas

Brisbane, but I seem to fly as much as superman
    That is a very nice story, thank you for posting.