1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Went to my first Coming out group.

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by LostMyself, Apr 13, 2014.

1. LostMyself

LostMyself Guest

Lastweek I built up the courage to drive to a coming out group that was in a different city I had to travel just over an hour to get there as I'm not comfortable going to the one in my town for fear of seeing someone I know.As I'm driving along I'm feeling rather guilty I told my children's dad that I was meeting up with a friend to the movies.I wasn't sure where I was driving to exactly so I called the lady who runs the group and she gave me directions I also asked if others would be there and she said it's an open group anyone can turn up she doesn't know numbers.I got there and had to park my car in an open parking area looked a bit dodgy but parked and walked over to where the lady said she'd meet me by this point I felt silly and struck with fear she was an older lady In her 50's she told me she works as a pastor aswell and she's gay aswell which I felt ease about that part but not the pastor part anyway she walked me to the place where they have meetings but said tonight she changed it to meet at the coffee shop in a shopping centre I felt really sick now as I don't want to be out in the open like that.We arrived at the coffee shop and there were two older ladies sitting at a table and there's me standing awkwardly the coffee shop was full of business people who just stared at me so I sat down and clearly felt like I wasted my time there were no younger people and there was only us three as the lady I met up with had to go.So the two ladies and I started talking I pushed myself to make an effort as I had travelled all this distance I might aswell make an effort.I just started asking them questions and they were really nice I still felt silly about travelling the distance but that worry soon left my mind.They didn't ask me questions at all like I wanted them to I asked them questions and at first I felt yup I don't belong but I was suprised to learn that the oldest lady there had kids and was married to a man and now is with a woman.I felt really at ease she said she knows where I'm coming from :slight_smile: by that point I relaxed and I wasn't worried that a man and woman opposite of us was staring at me like they were intrigued to why I was there I felt relaxed and not worried anymore maybe because I was I new city.We spoke for two hours and they gave me some info on other groups which are quite a distance too but I was willing to travel if it's what I need to do.After I finished I headed back to my car where I saw a group of young people trying to look into cars as they had flashlights and were looking in them I ran as fast as I could jumped In my car which got in locked my car and sped off lol what a night for some inner peace.

2. Wolf123

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    HAHAH! I am happy it worked out for you. I am trying to do the same thing. I am going to talk to my counselor about possible places I can go to. She has mentioned a few where I can meet other folks, but want to know more areas so I have my options opened.