1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Almost There

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by palimpsest, Apr 13, 2014.

1. palimpsest

OK. This is it. This is the last and final hurdle and then I'll be all but Facebook Out, which isn't my style anyway.

This is the week that I tell my bishop that I'm gay, separated and mere months away from divorce (thanks Vermont for making us remain married and in residence here for 12 full months, nice, nice).

One of two things will happen. I will either be de-frocked or allowed to resign. In no case will my church body embrace me as an openly gay pastor. So where will I go from here? I'm not sure. First I will end this journey that began in June. Then, I will decide which church to go to.

I've already met with the bishop of the larger Lutheran church body where I can be an openly gay pastor.

The real question for me is wether I want to pastor. I want to do ministry, its kind of my calling. How I will do that as a gay man remains to be seen. I have ideas, plots and aspirations. I think much of my activity may be aimed at helping others like me in ministry who I expect will continue to surface. We face a lot of road blocks from a lot of sources.

A pastor's ability to make a living comes down to a list and a standing with a recognized religious body. When we are defrocked because we live as we have been made, we loose that standing and our ability to perform weddings, file our taxes, etc. And since being gay is the source of a lot of politicking right now, gay pastors are especially tantalizing targets.

Should be an interesting week, quite the way to end coming out, I'll keep you all posted.

2. biAnnika

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It's wonderful to see you here again. I'm impressed with the extent to which you seem at peace...concerned about the future, sure...absolutely uncertain, yes...but at peace. It shows, and it's inspiring.

There will be options for you. If you love what you do and do it well, somebody somewhere will be willing to pay you for it.

Very best wishes to you in your final stages of the beginning of this process!

3. palimpsest

Thank biAnnika,

I'm somewhere between peace and drained. It will all be well, it will get better because I have no where to go but up. Especially that I am finally able to seek out love as it is good and right for me.

4. WillowRose

I hope that you can be allowed to resign with dignity, since that will ease you path forward, whether or not you stay in pastoral ministry.

From what you have written here today, I find myself hoping that you do remain in the pastorate. The journey that you're in the middle of right now will strengthen your gifts for ministry I've watched it happen several times, and it is beautiful and humbling to see. And there certainly are Lutheran congregations who will welcome a pastor who lives authentically and honestly. (I belong to one, and I know of many others.)

Hold strong, and let us know how the week goes.

5. Corwin

Wishing you all the best. I hope it all turns out as well as possible for you. Please keep us posted.

As a former calligrapher, I love your username. :slight_smile:

6. BlueSky224

Wow! This is indeed a big week.

All I can say is that you'll be a better pastor having gone through the experience of coming out.

I wish you and those close to you all my best.

I hope that you will gain strength and inner peace from this experience, and I look forward to hearing how it goes.

7. RainbowMan

Good luck to you! I'm certain that there are many places where you can put your ministerial talents to good use.

Though I'm not that much of a religious man myself (though raised Catholic), I can say that I believe things happen for a reason, even though that reason might not be known to us right now. Therefore, even if you wind up defrocked, perhaps something better will come of it.

Hang in there!

8. GayDadStr8Marig

For your future in ministry, keep in mind there are gay ministers across all denominations that face varying levels of suppression. I would imagine these men and women would appreciate very much having a support network to lean on while the larger church body contorts itself into rationalizing doctrine with reality. It will happen eventually, but it will be painful in the process; just look at the upheaval caused in the church centuries ago by the scientific revolution, we are now on the cusp of a psychological revolution in the church.

9. Butterfly72

Wishing you well. XX

10. Lovetoski

Lovetoski Guest

There is one thing you should know, wherever this road leads-you need to know that you ARE doing God's work. I have felt His presence and love in my darkest days thru you. I am not Lutheran. I am Catholic. I was lost. You were the first person I came across handing out roadmaps. No matter what anyone tells you, no matter what decision is 'officially' made, know that you were meant to be a vehicle which God uses to help those who have lost their path. I have found mine again. I have reconnected with God. I know and feel the reality of something bigger in my life. I lost myself and have opened my eyes to a me who is better and more beautiful and good in God's eyes... And a HUGE part of that started right here- with you. My gratitude has no words. YOU did make a difference in my life via an anonymous website... I can only imagine the magnitude of lives you've touched by those far less verbose than I.

Wishing you the very best. Xxo

11. palimpsest

Lovetoski, thank you for returning God's grace. I needed to hear this. I cried all day yesterday, preparing myself. Letting go. Realizing that I have to take a break one way or another for a bit. To take care of myself and my family. Now I am ready, come what may, I am ready to finally let go and trust again. It scares me because I've already lost everything I ever knew. In its place, I hope to find again, faith, hope and love. Love being the greatest treasure I desire to posses.

Thank you one and all. I'll post once I push send. May wait out of kindness until after Easter, may not. We shall see.

12. palimpsest

I just sent the letter. The process of preparing it threw me through the ringer emotionally. Now I wait to see how my bombshell will be received. Thanks again for the comments and encouragement everyone. One way or another, this is the week I can finish coming into the light.

13. GayDadStr8Marig

Just know there are many religious men who have the same pressure you are dealing with. You are far from alone. The church communities who refuse to deal with this rationally to date will likely go through some significant difficulty when confronted with reality in the years to come. Not only the reality of what it is to be gay, but also the reality that being in denial of the worthwhile contribution of gays in the church and larger society will have larger repercussions on the church itself.

14. Corwin

You are in my thoughts and prayers, friend. I have to believe this is all part of God's plan, and that in the end, all will work out for the best.

Take care...

15. Choirboy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Pal, I don't have to tell you that God works in strange ways that we don't always understand. Or that change is hard and painful, but at the same time wonderful and uplifting. You have a great ability to reach people, and this may give you the opportunity to grow in ways you never expected, and touch people who desperately need it. It hasn't been easy for you, and it probably won't be for awhile, but you're moving in a positive direction and you're already a better person for it. And the people you come in contact with as a result of this will be better people too. Best of luck to you. You've certainly been in my prayers during last week's Holy Week marathon (parish musician and singer, remember--I basically lived at church last week!), and you will continue to be.

16. palimpsest

I have a phone call with my bishop this afternoon. And I'll let everyone know how that goes.

Thank you for your words of support. I am not worried about God's love for me. About redemption or forgiveness. I do not doubt, or at least I hold in faith, that this will resolve in some way that I could not have imagined and for the betterment of others. If I lost that I'd really be in a bad way.

The difficulty in this has been the letting go of the final element and piece of the picture I thought I was living, going to live and finish out my days doing. Call it the final death pangs of my old life and image. But what I also realize is how desperately I have clung to that same image. How insane I've allowed myself to be because of that image. How idolatrous that image became and the real pangs of confession in my heart is how I allowed all of that to bring ruin to those things that I love: family and ministry. There is no ministry without honesty. Such a simple thing, yet it was I who stayed hidden away not facing myself and my orientation.

So yes, God is with me still. I have no doubt. This does not ease the grief of letting go of old things. Time, encouragement and a few tears have got me this far. Doing this right, being honest with my church as I now have, that is the right way to do this that allows me to live in a new kind of integrity. To that end I will see this through, trusting to the mercy of God in all things.

17. BlueSky224

I'm thinking about you, palimpsest, and wishing you all the best this afternoon.

18. palimpsest

Well that conversation was awkward at best. I am in God's grace to the point to where I seem to be embracing this "lifestyle." Funny, I just submitted my resignation and instead of being sad I feel like a fight.

That's it folks, I am as of now technically speaking, not a pastor.

19. Corwin

Hi palimpsest,

Sorry to hear that it sounds like it was a bit rough. Still, it must be a relief to have that chapter behind you. And if I understand correctly, in being allowed to resign, that was the better of the two scenarios you envisioned? And means you didn't lose as much as you feared? I hope that is the case.

I hope you have at least a bit more peace at this point. God knows you've been down a rough road. It can only get better now, right?

Take care...

20. FreeRico

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    God showed me something about 6 weeks ago that has propelled me forward in my journey. It's not anything that's difficult to understand or profoundly deep. On the contrary, it's very simple but powerful. Here it is: We don't get a new life until we let the old one die. That's it, simple like I said. We struggle, reaching for the new life we know should be ours, but at the same time, we keep the old life on life support because of our fear of what letting go of it will cause. Whatever happens, just remember that no man can pluck you out of His hand.