1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coming out to others when I am still figuring out my hetero marriage. Experiences?

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by valerie247, Apr 21, 2014.

1. valerie247

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I'm assuming that my husband and I will be married for a few years yet. We are trying to make it work, but I have steadily been losing the desire to make it work. I guess I'm leaving the "bargaining" period. I am more desiring a couple more years to smooth the transition so that we can remain good friends and our children will have an easier adjustment. My husband has been very supportive and amicable about everything. He still wants to be with me, but accepts that it will likely not happen. At least not long term. He loves me and wants me to be happy. I keep waiting for the anger to come, but I don't see it anywhere.

Anyway, I'd love to hear others' experience on the timing of coming out to others. I've told 5 of my friends so far, but I'm wondering when I should come out to everyone. Should I come out now, with my husband, and we can tell people that we are trying to work on it, but I felt that people should know (I like this idea for 3 reasons: 1. My husband will be able to find support for what he's going through. 2. I will have my husband's support when it's difficult. I know he will be there for me. 3. Our families will see that we are trying, and that we still love each other, and that he is accepting of me. I think that will go a long way with his family in future interactions with me and the kids.) Or should we wait for the time to come for a divorce and announce it at the same time as the reason. (This seems more natural, and what most people do, but it makes me the most uncomfortable for some reason. I feel I will be shamed much more this way. I also think it will evoke judgement on our whole family in a time that is more tumultuous and it will be harder for us to support each other.) Or should we just announce a divorce and have my coming out be entirely separate and much later because it's not his "battle" to deal with? (The only problem I have with this is waiting so long. I don't know if I can do it.)

I'm especially concerned with his parents. I believe the best way to handle it would be for both of us to go together to tell them. My husband is not particularly happy about coming out, but again, he supports whatever I need to do. He doesn't have a preference on these options. I do need to come out for my own mental health, but the timing isn't so important. I want to do whatever will be best for everyone involved.

#1 valerie247, Apr 21, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 21, 2014
  2. Choirboy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Re: Coming out to others when I am still figuring out my hetero marriage. Experiences

My wife and I are still somewhat in transition. I accepted being gay and told a few co-workers about a year and a half ago, not knowing what the next step might be. Told my wife last September, as well as my older daughter, and have ticked off a few more people along the way since, including both of my sisters and my other daughter.

My original plan was just to divorce her and save the big reveal for some time in the future, but that seemed dishonest. Besides that, we have had many difficulties in the past, largely caused by her emotional issues, and it didn't seem right to not tell her why I was leaving, because her immediate assumption would have been that she was a bad person, it was all her fault, etc. etc. My hope was that by telling her and STAYING, with the understanding that it was not a permanent thing, she would start to get her act together and build some kind of support network before I came out more completely. It also would give me time to do what was best for our children and for her, since I'm the only one with a real paycheck, and our financial situation is pretty bleak.

It hasn't exactly worked that way. She was largely in denial for months and only recently has started asking questions and thinking (well, panicking, really). In the meantime, I have found myself coming out to more people, becoming very comfortable with saying I'm gay, and have stumbled into a wonderful relationship with someone I could see myself spending my life with. Our paths are not particularly well synced up at this point!

The positive thing is that my work life is very much separate from my home and hometown life, so I can be much more "out" at work than I am in my hometown. It's been very helpful, and I find it's given me a lot of strength to be able to be more honest about my orientation, even if it's only in a portion of my life. Most of our friends at home are her friends, so I'm leaving the timing of the reveal to her, although frankly, I'm getting very tired of hiding. That, more than anything else, is something you might want to think about. After spending my entire adult life burying the fact that I was gay, telling a few people has really set me down a slippery slope. In a very, very positive way, to be sure! I am unbelievably happy that I finally did this. But the more people who know, the less inclined I am to NOT tell people, particularly since getting into the relationship. (I defy you to be in love with someone and not tell anyone!)

My hope is that for my wife's sake, having the news gradually leak out here and there may soften the blow for her a bit. Having the town buzz for weeks because I left her, presumably "for another guy", even though it would have happened with or without the other guy, might be less painful than having people know that we're working things through in the interests of family and friendship, but that the end will come when we're ready for it.

I have some hopes for the friendship part. My wife is a difficult person but she is much easier on her friends than on her family members, who always seem to be expected to live up to impossible standards. And while she knows a lot of people, she doesn't have many very close friends, so it's my hope that we might end up with some semblance of a friendship in the end. We have a 20-year marriage and a 25-year relationship between us, and two children. I don't think you can go wrong trying to be fair and considerate, assuming your husband is willing to reciprocate (many spouses are definitely NOT). And everyone's experience is different, so listen to him and listen to your heart. You can figure out the right thing to do.

3. valerie247

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Re: Coming out to others when I am still figuring out my hetero marriage. Experiences

Thank you for sharing. That does seem to be how I envision it playing out. I can see that waiting so long will be very difficult for me. I've only told these 6 people (5 friends plus spouse), but I can already see the difference it's made in my attitude in life and I am not too keen on the idea of a closet at this point. With each person I tell, I get braver. I was also very afraid of the reaction we would get to our staying together at this point. But it seems that most people are pretty understanding of it. They have questions, but they "get it". So that fear is fading more and more.

I know that my husband needs much more time to heal before stepping forward in this, but I can foresee the waiting being very difficult for me, so I am thinking ahead a bit.

4. Lindsey23

It's so nice to hear that you and your husband are getting along so well. I am married also. My husband has been incredibly supportive in spite of all the hurt. We are trying to make it work but I don't know what the future holds. At the very least we will be together for a few years longer. No matter what we want to remain friends. At the moment I am only out to him and my therapist. He has said that we can tell our close friends that we are in a mixed orientation marriage. I'm not ready for that though, not yet anyway. I don't have any advice on when/how you should come out because I struggle with that as well. I just want you to know you're not alone and your husband sounds a lot like mine. Has he heard of the straight spouse network? That has been really helpful for my husband. He's found a lot of support there.

5. Runnerrunner

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay

Hi Valerie, my experience my help. I'll jump to the end first. My ex and I are great friends. The divorce was final almost a year ago.

I came out first to her, then two days later we dropped this evil bomb on the kids. We proceeded then to make a series of visits to friends and family wherein we explained that we were getting a divorce and that I was gay. It was a rip-the-band-aid strategy. In hind sight it worked very well. No rumors, no secrets, just put it out there. I'll say that those meetings, that month, were horrendously gut wrenching, but it got done. It was definitely harder on her than me. She endured shame and deep sadness very publicly. I was mostly ok with being the evil bastard because I was just trying to survive. After that there were some very, very difficult times between us, but we got through it. Overall, she understood that our situation was unfixable. We're in a much better place now; we're both committed to the wellbeing of the kids. I'm a long way from moved on, but each day is a little better and I think this nightmare played out as well as it could have.

I wish you well. This stuff is hard.

6. valerie247

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian

Thank you for sharing. I did find the straight spouse network and encouraged him to check it out, but I think he said it's a forum and he's not a fan of forums, especially for sharing very deep emotions. So instead, I've sent him the occasional article that goes through this from his side. I also pushed him a bit to tell me who out of his friends he would feel comfortable sharing with, and although he told me who it was, he understandably didn't want to have that coming-out conversation with him. So I went ahead and came out to his friend on my own (with my husband's blessing) so that he would have someone who knew everything. That has seemed to help. If you know of any books that really help to process the experience, I think he'd be open to reading a book.

Thank you so much for sharing. It is hard. We had a gut-wrenching conversation last night that your post reminds me of......the ripping the band-aid off. He actually used that phrase. He is at the point where he just needs me to rip the band-aid off, but I'm finding that very difficult. I'd really like to have a marriage counselor to work with us to make sure that our communication is optimal once we hit the rocky road that comes after that announcement. We won't be able to afford that counseling until at least the fall.

It's really encouraging to hear that other spouses who have been through this have remained close. I've come to the conclusion that if we can accomplish that, we're not really losing as much as we've grieved over. We will still be family for the rest of our lives. We will still be hand in hand in the support and love of our children. My husband is wrestling with the thought and trying to picture it, but I know that it's something he has hope for....I really wish he would read the hopeful stories like this.