1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Finally some good news...

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by BMC77, Apr 21, 2014.

1. BMC77

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    After all these posts bitching, er, whining, er talking about negative issues, it's nice to have some good news.

Tonight I went to a Top Secret LGBT event. Well, not really top secret...although I'm hesitant to share too many details. (I am paranoid about saying a little too much, and getting tossed off EC for a month due to that no-contact-info-on-public forums rule...) But in general, I went to a meeting of a recent start-up local social group for LGBT people at a nearby restaurant. Worst case scenario: even if you hate everyone else, at least you don't need to cook dinner. :lol:

It felt a bit strange at first. The meeting was at least 10 people-plus, and I don't deal well with big groups. (I'm very introverted.) And most members are lesbians. There was only one one other guy... But it went really well, and I did feel comfortable talking with the people at my end of the table. I was one of the last to leave, and really felt sad to see the evening end. And I think I was there for about 2.5 hours!

Of course...the big help was that there were people with interesting, intelligent things to say. But one other thing I really did enjoy: the chance to be openly gay in an environment where no one really cares or condemns me for the fact.

2. TJ

TJ

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    That sounds like an awesome experience. I've always sort of wanted to go to an LGBT or GSA-type meeting...
    Glad you went! :thumbsup:

And as far as off-site contact info - As long as you're not sharing the full names of the people there, the address of the place, or a way to contact you off-site, you're probably good. :wink:

3. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Fantastic news, BMC! I'm so happy for you!

4. BlueSky224

That really is heartwarming. It's nice to know that such people are "out there," so to speak.

5. bingostring

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    That's great isn't it! I once went in a group of 30 gay men on a small train in England's Lake District… For an hour or so it was a "gay train" … like nobody around to criticise or disapprove - very liberating.

6. GayDadStr8Marig

It is a great feeling to be part of a group of people who are supportive, where you can be yourself and not have to be on guard. It is so much easier to engage in conversation when you get to be unfiltered. Congrats on finding a place where you can be yourself!

7. KyleD

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Family only
    Awww, that's sounds awesome!

8. BMC77

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Yes, as several pointed out, it was a great experience. I'm really glad I went. I had been very undecided (although for reasons not connected to the group), and, as of late Sunday, thought: No, but I'll keep an eye on this group. But for some reason Monday I decided I might as well go. It would be a real world experience, which I need, and going would be a vote in favor of such groups. And perhaps being one more man in that group will encourage other men to join at some point.

What is interesting is that I realized today that this is not only the first LGBT social event I've been to, but it's also the first time I did not define myself in a real world setting as coming out later in life, or mention that I only came out to myself March 2013. (Of course, my real world experiences have been...limited.) I did mention years of denial last night, but no outright statements about when those years of denial ended. Perhaps I am moving to a new point on the path of this journey... Then, again, maybe the conversation last just wasn't right to mention that.

---------- Post added 22nd Apr 2014 at 03:43 PM ----------

Yes, it is nice to know! But it can be a nightmare trying to find those people...

9. StillAround

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    BMC,

I'm so glad you went! Is this a regular event that you can return to weekly or monthly?

Here's to turning over a new page!

/Ed.

10. BMC77

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Thanks!

This dinner was a unique event. It might happen again, but it might not. Still, I do hope and anticipate that there will be other events that I can go to.

11. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Well, the thing that stands out to me is that, as one who considers himself introverted, you stayed for quite a while and felt comfortable with the people there. I hope there is another meeting and that the group even expands some and/or stays afloat. Is the guy there someone you could see yourself befriending? (I'm talking a regular friendship, as in to socialize).

Good for you!

12. Corwin

Wow, that sounds really great! I'm glad you found it and enjoyed it enough to stay that long. I'd love to find something similar myself. Perhaps one day soon...

13. BMC77

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I did feel comfortable with the people there. I was quite comfortable, actually, with a woman at my end of the table--I probably spent more time talking to her than anyone else.

Right now it seems likely to survive...at least for the moment. Some expansion could be good. It would be nice if there were more than 2 men at future events!

That remains to be seen. He seemed quite quiet, so it was hard to get much sense of him.

---------- Post added 22nd Apr 2014 at 07:56 PM ----------

Well, keep looking! It took me FOREVER (it seemed) to find this group. It's a good thing I kept searching regularly.