1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Officially divorced

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by greyskye, Apr 22, 2014.

1. greyskye

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Well it's done. I thought my now ex-husband might try to find an excuse to delay because he started acting increasingly petulant and short tempered as well as deliberately misunderstanding as it came time to sign the papers, but when the time actually came, he signed. The judge was a little intimidating, but my lawyer handled everything and I was out of court in about 15 minutes, with the fully signed and completed papers. Seems a little unreal.

On a different note, I've been able to attend a LGBT event in a nearby city last month and am planning on going to another this month. Unfortunately, there seems to be nothing similar available in my own city. It's nice though, to be around people who are so accepting. Oh, speaking of that, I've come out to several of my friends. They have all been great. My counselor thinks my mom is on the (very) slow path to acceptance while ignoring (I still haven't officially come out to her, though she has hinted in the past that she knows). She's very fundamentalist Christian religious and while visiting for Easter, she, my sister-in-law, and I had an intense conversation where we got nowhere, but did it without hurt feelings. So at least that's an improvement. And a short conversation with one of my aunts gave me hope that my extended family might not be as unaccepting as I feared.

I finally feel like I can maybe start breathing again. Does that make sense?

2. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Of course it makes sense, and congratulations on turning the page to a more authentic life!

3. azure au

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Congrats greyskye. I am glad this final part went smoothly. Time to start fresh.

4. greyskye

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Thanks. The past few years I've gone from days of feeling like there was no hope or even possibility of change to today where I can see so many different paths opening up. It's a bit scary but also exciting.

5. tscott

Congratulations on starting your new life.