1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Came out to my son and mom...........

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by FreeRico, Apr 26, 2014.

1. FreeRico

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    all in one day! How 'bout that! I was worried about telling my son. I didn't think he'd react negatively, but I wasn't quite sure how he'd take the new. Like the rest of my children, he said he's fine with it and that it isn't going to affect things between us in a negative way.

I'm very relieved. I have four children and thought for sure that at least one of them would have a major problem with this. That simply hasn't been the case. They've all been great and are supportive of their father.

My mom, however is upset. She's upset, according to her, because she can't believe that I would spend my life having children if I'm gay. She also thinks this is going to hurt my children, in spite of the fact that I told her the kids are fine with it and love their dad just the same. She tried to tell me that she's fine with me being gay, but I know my mom. Her tone of voice completely changed, and she got defensive when I told her if she ever wanted to talk about it all she has to do is call me. "Why would I need to call you? It's our life. Your 47 years old. What do you expect me to say?", is what she said, in a very agitated way. I calmly explained to her that it's okay if she has any negative feelings and that I'm here if she feels like she needs to tell me anything, good or bad. That's when she started in again with this business about why did I have children. I told her that I had children because my desire to be a father was stronger than my desire to be with a man, and that she knows as well as I do that 25...30 years ago there was no such thing as two men marrying and adopting children or one or both of them making babies with a surrogate mother.

However things turn out with her, I am at peace with it. I was hoping for a better reaction from her, mainly because I has already told her I was gay when I was 17. I moved out of state shortly thereafter, came back 5 years later with my wife in tow, and the subject of me being gay had never been brought back up. The assumption, apparently, was that it was just a phase I went through that was over with because I came back with a wife. I suppose I could have told her that I was still gay and that my wife knew about it, but it just seemed like it was too complicated a situation to talk with her about back then. Like now, she just wouldn't have been able to wrap her mind around the idea of a gay man getting married to a woman and having children.

So, that just leaves my sister. She and I have never really been close so part of me doesn't feel the need to tell her, but I did ask my mom not to tell her because I feel that I need to be the one to tell her. We shall see how it goes with her.

---------- Post added 26th Apr 2014 at 02:16 PM ----------

You know what? I've changed my mind. I'm not fine with how she took it. Now I'm getting pissed. She acted almost offended by the notion that I had children, knowing that I'm gay. As if gay people are now banned from having children. WTF? This shit's gonna get ugly. I will not let what she said stand!

2. TJ

TJ

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Very proud of you, mate. :grin: Congrats on coming out to them - really glad they took it okay, even if your mom is pretty incredulous.
    Hopefully your sister goes well - I think it's only fitting you tell her as well, just in case the topic comes up at a holiday meeting and she doesn't know.

Anyway - well done. :thumbsup: We're all proud of you.

3. KyleD

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Family only
    Congratulations!!! So happy that everything went so well!

You should give your mom some time to process everything.

4. Robin j

Robin j Guest

wow! congrats.. that went real well....
    i really liked the part that all your children are in your support... that's just great.....
    and lucky your wife was so understandin'....
    I agree with KyleD you should give your mom some time and space...
    she might be thinkin' what went wrong again... lol.. i guess she is mentionin' the kids over and over again just to make you feel guilty some way or the other..... i guess she feel some kind of pain not because you are gay but because she doesn't want her grandchildren to suffer in any kind......
    hope your sis take it well and be able to make your mom understand....
    all the very best....

5. Jason1998

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Congratulations! I am kind of confused as well. Wouldn't you be bisexual
    If you enjoyed having sex with women, got aroused by it and were able to have 4 kids?

6. FreeRico

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Not really. The only part about women that has ever turned me on are boobs, but even with that I have to be thinking of a man to get off. Now, when I was in my 20s I could get a stiff one if the wind blew just right, but things started to really change in my 30s to where I had to be thinking of a man in order to reach climax, and even with that, the sex with her wasn't very satisfying. I still love her though. Probly always will. After all, how many women do you know who would agree to marry a man who was honest about being gay from the start? I wanted children and our friendship was strong enough to agree to live together to create a family. She got what she needed, which is someone to take care of and watch out for her, and I got what I wanted, which was children. Along the way, we have shared many good memories and a lot of laughs. If it weren't for the fact that I am ready to find a man to spend my life with, I'd go ahead and stay living together with her because she knows me better than anyone I have ever known. She's my best friend. If only she had a dick..................:lol: I can laugh about that because I've always told her she'd be perfect if she had a dick.

7. Jason1998

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Did you know you were gay 100% before marriage ?

8. FreeRico

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Oh yeah. I had been sleeping with guys since around age 10. By the time I met my wife, there was no doubt in my mind that I was gay.

9. Jason1998

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Ok that just cleared a lot
    Of things for
    Me.
    Because I am bisexual and thought our stories are similar but they are not becAuse you know you are gay

10. Richie.

So brave! Moms are tricky. Mine is anyways.

11. Yossarian

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone

Maybe a word from an olde pharte like me will help. If you are 47, then your mom is likely as old as I am or older. She grew up like I did in a world where all things sexual were mostly repressed and not discussed, and marriage was always between a man and a stay-at-home woman. This has a permanent effect on you which you can intellectualize about and rationalize and reach some kind of understanding about, but it can never be completely overcome and seem "natural" about. She is probably doing the best she can within the limitations that have been built into her during her life. Don't stand for overtly negative behavior; she knows better than that; but do realize that she is incapable of being everything you want her to be at this late stage of her life; too much damage from her life context over too many decades. Just explain to your kids that Grandma is old and may say some things that seem awkward because she is a little out of touch with current times, but she loves them even if she is a little confused about "our family", because it is different from how hers was when she was a child.

12. FreeRico

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay

I thought about that earlier today. It just seemed so strange to me for her biggest problem with me being gay is that I made children. I've had some training in social work, and have played the counselor role for many people. I've heard quite a few justifications for someone being upset that someone else is gay, but never the one she threw at me. I even asked a friend of mine, who is retired from counseling, if she has ever heard of that sort of reaction. She said it's rare to find someone who thinks gays shouldn't reproduce, but she has heard of it before.

Either way, I decided I am not going to spend my time trying to figure out why she thinks this way. It's her problem, not mine. As long as she doesn't try to undermine my relationship with my children, she can think whatever she wants. I told her what I needed to tell her.

---------- Post added 27th Apr 2014 at 05:52 PM ----------

I wrestled with myself for quite a long time, trying to figure out why things are the way they are for me. I mean, here I was knowing that I'm gay, but I'm banging away at the wife like there's no tomorrow during my twenties and early thirties. I finally realized that being gay or straight has little to do with behavior. Sex, in and of itself, is just sex, regardless of who I have it with. Our sexual organs are designed to respond to stimulation. My dick has no idea whether it's being stimulated by a man or a woman. It only knows that it's being asked to perform. I could blindfold myself, take off my clothes, and someone (without me knowing their sex) could start giving me head or manual stimulation, and I wouldn't know if that person was male or female. But I'd still get hard, and if the stimulation continued long enough, I'd climax.

Knowing this led me to the realization that hetero, homo, and bi-sexuality only exists in the mind. We like to tell ourselves that our behavior, sexually speaking, should match what out mind is telling us, but the truth of the matter is that what's going on in the mind can be completely disconnected from what we're acting out. In my case, I found that engaging in "straight" sex posed no threat to the reality that exists in my mind (that I'm gay).

You may be asking yourself, "Well, how does he know that he's gay then?" It's simple. It boils down to who I am attracted to. The attraction that we feel towards others is something that is hard wired into us. We have no control over it. I could no more stop myself from feeling attraction to men than I could to a nice set of boobs.

But wait a minute. I just said that I know I am gay, but I am also saying that I like boobs. That makes me bi, right? Not in my mind. I view liking boobs on women as an anomaly, when compared to the depth or breadth of my attraction to men. I am attracted to everything about men. I like their faces, their bodies, their genitals, their spirit, etc. I don't find a woman's vagina particularly attractive. I am not into their shape either. Naturally, I can look at a woman and decide if I think she's pretty, but I feel no attraction to a woman's face (as in to want to kiss it).

So, for me, the fact that it's men that I am attracted to defines me as gay. I am at the point with the boobs things that any attraction I feel towards them happens very infrequently. I hope I haven't confused you with my rambling. If you want to know the truth, I've always suspected that I'm a little nutty in the head. I have analyze things over and over until I get to the very core of them. It's just what I do, and I have been the primary subject I've analyzed over the course of my life! If I could write myself a prescription to stop doing it, I would! :lol:

13. piano71

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    This is why I won't come out to my mom. She is in her 70s and has that prudish, old-fashioned attitude about love, sex, and marriage. Coming out would only create negativity and drama. :frowning2:

Friends sometimes accuse me of being cowardly because I didn't come out to my mom. But their family dynamics are quite different...

14. Yossarian

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    This makes perfect sense to me. That we don't necessarily fit into a single "label". That we can feel differently (in a sexuality sense) to different people at different times. That we can love a person for who they are, even though we are not specifically intensely sexually attracted to them, and have sex with them, and even reproduce with them. This kind of thing has been going on for as long as people have been around; it is just being discussed differently here and now than it was in the 1950s.

15. Theron

I'm sorry your mom reacted badly--some parents are awesome, like my fiance's parents, and some parents can really suck, like mine who threw me out of the house at 16. I think looking back if I had been given a choice, I never would have come out to them until around now, since I'm living far away and happily engaged. But they're both dead so it doesn't matter anymore and my fiance's AWESOME parents have me call them Mom and Dad.

But I'm glad you have awesome kids who aren't going to let it affect your relationship with them! It sucks when people assume you have to be at least bi to have married a woman and have kids, but male anatomy doesn't always work like that. The most random things can make us get a stiffy. If I have to pee, that can do it all by itself. x.o

16. azure au

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Congratulations I am glad your son took it well. As to your mum I can understand your anger, as parents the worst thing anyone can do is question our decision to become a parent in the first place. I suspect your mother took your fathering children as a reassurance you had grown out of that 'phase'. I hope she comes around.
    I am really happy for you, I recently had the same positive reaction from my kids and it is wonderful to not have that worry in my heart any longer. I hope things go well with your sister.

17. Cool Bananas

Brisbane, but I seem to fly as much as superman
    Well done for having the courage to tell your mum, sounds like you are upset on the way she reacted but I guess its better in yourself that she knows and you have told her, I guess she has given a negative reaction you are best to give her time to take it all in, I guess you have had lots of time to think about it and be happy in yourself that your mum now knows even if she doesn't understand it.