1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

speaking to children

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by mawwhite, May 2, 2014.

1. mawwhite

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I was reading all the posts in the "letting yourself feel" thread until I realized it was from February. Sorry I missed participating and there were so many issues that can be discussed separately. But one responder mentioned Anita Bryant! I shivered and starting shaking. I checked the date when Anita Bryant, Jerry Falwell and their other minions staring their campaign and it was 1977. I was 13.

I can still recall sitting in front of the TV (perhaps watching 60-minutes or something) when they basically told me (just a 13 year old gay boy) that I would grow up to be a pedophile. I would hang around public bathrooms and snatch children away from their parents. I didn't get mad or sad. I remember just numbing out. I suppose that is part of the numbing process was all experienced as we grew up and that feeling of isolation.

For those of you that don't their campaign there is lots on-line but basically they worked to overturn gay rights in a Florida county and organized a group called "save the children” from us!

It amazes that today there are still hate mongers saying this horrible stuff. In my own state America’s Pastor Scott Lively is running for governor…good luck in the bluest state. Lively is one of the people that has orchestrated the anti-gay laws in some African nations and the Russia anti-propaganda laws. Human Rights Campaign called him “one of the most notorious exporters of hate". His statements are beyond discussion they so full of misrepresentations.

Any case, these people need to understand when they pontificate on TV or print, online or in public, not only are they speaking to the masses, they are talking directly to an individual child…starting of lifetime of shame that many of us are now struggling to unchain ourselves from. I would like to see one these hate mongers sit in a quiet room face to face with a little kid who has just realized they are going to part of the LGBT community. A kid trying to understand the what’s and why’s of who they are. Wonna bet the coward could not say to the kids face what he says publically. I wish some national LGBT group would call them out on this. They are speaking to children who require adults to protect and guide them.

At 50 I now am trying to undo all of their hurt. But I can't stand the idea of kids today going through what we went through. I know its not as bad...but still it goes on.

#1 mawwhite, May 2, 2014
    Last edited: May 2, 2014
  2. BookDragon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Wonna bet the coward could not say to the kids face what he says publically

I'm prepared to bet he would...plenty of people do.

3. Yossarian

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yes, I agree with you. These people are sociopaths with no regard for the collateral damage they casually cause to other people with their messages of hate. They are incapable of empathy for adults or children, which is why it is so dangerous for them to acquire a national platform. They have to be resisted in every active way possible. Other people will be picking up after the damage they do years after they are dead and gone.

4. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    This is an excellent twist on their own argument: think of our children and the damage you are doing to their sense of self, the shame and fear that you are inducing, the lives that you have ruined with your hypocritical misreading and cherry-picking of biblical passages!