1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Divorced your straight spouse...regrets?

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by biAnnika, May 5, 2014.

?

Answer only if you're gay&you've divorced a straight spouse. Do you regret doing so?

1. Overall, no, no real regrets.

6 vote(s)
    85.7%
  2. I've had at least some substantial regrets.

1 vote(s)
    14.3%
  1. biAnnika

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Please answer *only* if you've divorced a straight spouse. This poll is to get both positive and negative answers to Valerie's thread that gets at the same question.

2. Double Eagle

Double Eagle Guest

I'm gay/lesbian and have divorced my straight spouse for his expressions of not being able to take my medical/financial/physical/mental needs and his lack of intentions and/or abilities to ever fulfill any of those needs. I never thought of the partner prospect really...I have four kids, I have grand kids, I'm disabled...etc., no pension..notttaaa....and I'm pit-a-fool.. I'm still a room mate with him for a year now because homelessness and a cardboard sign just isn't my thing...But if I end-up on the street, I'm going to be with a woman...--and if I ever live with someone again, it's going to be a woman.

3. valerie247

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Thanks for the poll. I didn't even think of trying that. Good idea.

4. Rose27

Rose27 Guest

No regrets. The more time passes the more I see how unhealthy my marriage was in so many ways. My EX was very passively controlling and emotionally abusive. From a young age being gay in a very homophobic family I learned to create illusions about myself. This carried over to my marriage and how I created the illusion to the outside world that my ex was a good husband and father. The reality was he was neither.

5. Jim1454

No. I've said here several times that it was really the best thing for both of us. Thankfully we've remained on fairly good terms and are co-parenting fairly effectively.

We have both remarried and I know I'm happier and feeling more whole with my husband than I did with her.

6. biAnnika

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Come on, those of you who have regrets...Valerie and others want to hear from you!

7. CyclingFan

Don't we maybe have a "survivorship bias" problem though?

People who got divorced and regretted it seem likely to include some people who are not identifying as LGBT. I can't see those people staying here.