1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Words of Wisdom

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by greatwhale, May 6, 2014.

1. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The great Stephen Fry expounds on many things we could use...

Stephen Fry Wants You To Stop Setting Goals For Yourself. He's Got A Point, Though.

What he says about goals, is often what I say here: there are two things wrong with goal-setting: one is you fail to achieve them and then feel like a failure; the other is that you attain your goal, and suddenly you are without a "purpose".

There's so much more in this 30 minute video. Everything he says here, I agree with...

2. CyclingFan

I'll check that out. I've found that for myself personally.

Also, prevents one from 'living in the moment', or at least for me. I've been so focused on certain goals before that I ignore how I'm really feeling about what's going on around me and within me.

Makes it easy to mark off stuff as normal, expected difficulties that may actually be thibgs screaming at you, "why are you doing this? Seems like you hate it"

3. Melanie

Melanie Guest

"chasing an answer"

"being focused on self"

Its a constant battle to not focus on myself.

Very good, very timely. Thank you for posting.

---------- Post added 6th May 2014 at 06:01 PM ----------

What he says about travel.. so true. Life changing, horizon-broadening experiences.

4. Molly1977

Thank you for posting this clip. It was really interesting. I love stephen Fry.

5. Molly1977

Hello,

I hav ejust done exactly what the clip says you shouldn't do. I spent my lunchtime with my friend complaining about what a rubbish life I have and focusing completly on myself. she said "well at least you dont live in Nigeria and are one of the kidnapped girls". I must get over the past and focus on what is going on now and what I will achieve in the future not live in the past and always be complaining.

Molly x