1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Self worth and being gay

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by Richie., May 7, 2014.

1. Richie.

So yesterday in therapy we hit on something really profound, my self worth and what that means in relation to my sexuality. It was so profound I couldn't go there for very long it was too much too fast.. It's crazy my excessive need to feel wanted and approved is the reason I likely stayed hidden in my closet..
    I feel this will be a hot topic for me in my future therapy sessions and hopefully I'll work towards self approval.

Peace

2. mangotree

That's great Richie!
    Congratulations on your discovery :slight_smile:
    And good luck with all of the epiphanies that follow.

Peace be with you mate.

3. Molly1977

I can completly relate to what you are saying Richie. Hope you find more understanding of this through future therapy sessions.

Hope all is good with you. Molly xx

4. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi, Richie.

I'm really happy to hear you've made this connection. It is indeed powerful and difficult to plunge right into that material. I commend you for giving yourself permission to take it slow and work through it over time.

The shame (which, at its core, is a deeply held belief that we're not worthy of love and belonging) and the fear that by acknowledging that we're gay, we'll lose connection and love from those who care about us is pretty much what keeps everyone in the closet.

Please take 40 minutes and watch these two videos from Brené Brown. Her work is squarely in the shame/self-worth realm and while she doesn't directly address LGBT issues here, you can connect the dots pretty easily:

[YOUTUBE]iCvmsMzlF7o[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]_UoMXF73j0c[/YOUTUBE]

If you connect with what she says, I recommend getting a copy of "The Gifts of Imperfection" which goes more deeply into these issues.

In any case... you're on the right path, and I think you'll be surprised with yourself at how quickly you can move forward having made this breakthrough.

5. jnr183

I started reading Brene Brown's Daring Greatly at the suggestion of another EC member. I have put it down for a while, only because reading 60 pages or so really moved me into the direction of feeling OK with being gay.

6. StillAround

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Oh, Richie...

You've just taken a huge step in understanding yourself. I've been through this myself, and it takes a while to come out the other side, but it's so worth it!

I can only echo Chip's recommendation...

/Ed. (*hug*)

7. Highlander2

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Wow, Chip. Watched both of these clips and I can relate to everything she says both in terms of myself, but also the guy in my life just now and how he holds back. So much of this seems to relate to walls he has built up in his life - understanding where these have come from, watching these clips, helps me better understand him. Thanks.