1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to deal with change after college :(

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by Noir, May 9, 2014.

1. Noir

I'm so scared and worried about everything changing so soon and so suddenly! I can hardly think of anything constant that won't change within the next year! My sister, friends, and I will all be traveling abroad at different times next year, and soon we'll be graduating! It's especially hard because the girl I like is a year older than me and will graduate next spring the same time that my sister goes away abroad for the whole summer :icon_sad:

If any of you EC'ers have graduated college and know the kind of loneliness I'm talking about, any comforting words would be highly appreciated! ><

2. biAnnika

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well, I'm a bad test case, I fear. One way I dealt with the post-college changes was by making damned sure I went straight into graduate school, lol.

But in terms of loneliness...that first semester of grad school, my partner (still my partner...I guess then, gf might have been a better word) was abroad. Looking back, it seems silly to have been so upset over 3 months away, but at the time it seemed like a promise of forever. I also didn't know anyone at the new school...so really was quite alone and lonely for a while.

I did what I generally do in such situations. I embrace the loneliness and the aloneness. I can view solitude as an opportunity to find me. I lived life...did my own thing...meditated...read for pleasure before bed (sometimes after a glass of wine or two)...went for walks, exploring the new town/neighborhood...met people...even formed some friendships...and absolutely threw myself into my studies. But the key was viewing the time alone as an opportunity to reconnect with myself.

It was a wonderful terrible time. I truly look back on it with a mixture of dread and delight.

Don't know if that helps at all...but it's what I've got for ya. Good luck.

3. Tetra

Everything's gotta change sometime. I have 2 years left before I move across the country, and I'm leaving all of my family behind. Think about how your parents did it, leaving their siblings, family, everything, and starting fresh. You can do it as well! Once you're settled in, it'll become the norm for you. It's really pretty exciting when you think about it. That being said, you'll still have lots of contact with your family. There's always skype, vacations, and phone-calls.

4. Wolf123

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Same boat. Graduating college and I am nervous. I am going to miss the busy work (I know sounds crazy) however, I have already thought of things I can do: apply for a job in my field, volunteer work, hang with college friends who are still here :slight_smile: Try and figure out myself as a whole...work on things in regards to me being more open to a relationship etc. You should talk to your college friends, I am sure they feel the same.

5. AAASAS

I haven't graduated college, but I still miss my friends that have all moved away.

I've been working 5 years after highschool, and regret not going to uni or college a shit load. I basically gave up 5 of my young happy years, and turned them into a depressive shit pay shit job years. I went from highschool straight to reality, and it was garbage. So I did experience that depression.

But honestly, after you get a job, and start working, you become so busy during the day, that there isn't a lot of time for loneliness.

You will be socializing, and having fun at work sometimes; hopefully I really think everyone should have this at work, and you will be generally happy and more fulfilled with your life.

Sure it's normal to miss and old routine, and friends, but you will be busy enough that it will help with that. Also the new opportunity to meet new people and have new experiences should be exciting to you.

You will find comrades at work. I can guarantee that, and some day if you find a new job, you will find yourself in the same situation, a little down about moving on.

It's normal, just don't let it consume you, and try to be EXCITED for change, happy about it. You have no idea what is going to happen, and it most likely will be positive, so just focus on that.

Congrats on graduating by the way.