1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

for those who are Questioning things

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by JSway, May 23, 2014.

1. JSway

JSway Guest

I am right there with you!

But I did this kinda simple thing today and I found it helped a lot. Recently I have been wrestling with who I am. Until about 6 months ago I had been denying a part of myself, I was lying to myself about my true sexuality and gender identity. Now because of 15 to 16 years of self denial I am so completely muted to my feels that I don't even know what I like or who I want to be. So with some hep from my therapist I made a list.

I know sounds to simple but heres what I did. First I just listed things that I need. Very basic stuff

I need Air, water, and a roof over my head (most nights)
    I need atleast one family member to love me

stuff like that. Then I moved onto Things I want.

I want an electric car
    ect...

then Things I like

I like 3 chocolate chip cookies before bedtime
    ect...

Lastly things I dislike.

I dislike Metal music
    ect...

It was helpful because by getting the basic stuff out of the way it allowed me to really thing about what I want and like while at the same time realizing that those are not necessarily things I need.

I have a much better idea about who I am now and I have a list that I can always update and change as I change and grow.

2. Jeff

I agree that writing things out, and making lists is helpful with making things happen that you want to happen.

"To do" lists and "goals" lists are two important one for me right now.