1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I'm really struggling with online dating.

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by britishlesbow, May 27, 2014.

1. britishlesbow

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    So I've recently joined a couple of online dating sites, I live in a small town in England and want to get to know girls within my area, in the surrounding cities.

Just not many people seem to be interested. I'm not that ugly am I?

When I send them messages I'm polite, not creepy and try to be as charming as I can. I honestly don't know what I'm doing wrong?

Any tips? :slight_smile:

2. wanderinggirl

Tips: be genuine. (looks like you got that covered).

Take flattering pictures (I'm sure you're not ugly! It just makes a huge difference to take a photo outdoors and/or when you're doing something you enjoy instead of selfies in fluorescent light when you're tired and alone in your room.) Make sure you can see your face but that they're not too close up: these both indicate that you are self-conscious about your appearance, which for many is a turnoff. Just be natural.

Don't read too much into things: some people are taken, are looking for a hookup and see that your profile specifies you're looking for a relationship, etc.

When you send a message, be sure to put in some conversation starters in there to show you've read their profile and are interested in getting to know them. Ask a couple questions about themselves that are specific at first.

I don't always have the best luck with online dating, so maybe I'm just as bad at it, but these tips really helped get things rolling for me. Hope they help!

3. Molly1977

Hello, I can understand why you are struggling. I live in Cambridge and it is basically shit for any lgbt community. I have been here for years and haven't managed to meet anyone and I know im nice and a good looking person.

Are you involved with the university? There is a lgbt group that meets once a month but again it is very small and has only a few women. Also sisteract is a group of women who meet but I have also been to that and there are a lot of older women and I didn't get on very well with the group. The people were nice just not for me.

The biggest problem you will have living in Cambridge is that it is very small, very middle class, very cliquey and has a tiny lgbt community. When I say tiny I mean only a handful of people. A lot of people leave Cambridge due to the non existant lgbt scene. Have you been to dot cotton yet? It's crap but the only gay club we have.

Sorry if I am not giving you some more positive news but please know that it isn't you its the fact that there is just noone here to date. I'm hopefully moving out of the town in the next few months because I want to meet someone and there are basicaly very few lesbians in this town. A friend of mine is doing the same, moving up north to a more gay friendly city.