1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Do I have the right to celebrate pride?

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by Vivi3, Jun 5, 2014.

1. Vivi3

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I've been to many gay prides over the years. But, tonight will be the first time I go to a gay pride event as an out lesbian. I am so nervous/excited.

I know this is silly, but do I wonder if I have the right to be there... I chose to stay in the closet, in my comfortable hetero marriage, while others fought the battles that have gotten us where we are today.

I really struggle with this. Do some of you as well? And, how do you deal with it?

2. Andrew99

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Well ya of course u do it's taking pride in who u r now go there have fun laugh but some things march and laugh some more and get some cute girls phone numbers ok? Alright take it easy honey (*hug*)

3. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Not only do you have the right, I would argue that going to pride means repaying a debt of gratitude to those who fought for our right to come out and be proud.

Go to pride, show the world you are no longer ashamed of being who you are! Be sure to thank those that have been going for years, and BE there!

4. link4816

I am just realizing that this weekend the Pride festivities are taking place. I almost feel a kind is responsibility to attend. I have never been to one of these events, but I think it is important that the events receive as much support as possible. I went to my first all gay party as an out gay man a few weeks ago. It was a great experience and I am sure the Pride events will be too. I have made some new gay friends lately and I am sure all I have to do is text one of them that I am interested and they will pull me right in to whatever they have planned. I have not done this yet though. A part of me is nervous to do so. I won't know what I am doing at these events. But honestly, screw that! There is no Pride scenario I can imagine that wouldn't be a ton of fun, right? I do feel like I need to pick out a good outfit ahead of time though. How gay is that!

5. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    That's pretty gay! :grin: HAPPY PRIDE!

6. BookDragon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Here's a question for you.

What do you think most people who attend pride actually DO to fight these battles, other than just living their lives?

Obviously there are people who do a lot of good work to fight for equality, and that's wonderful, but do you think the majority do? No. We live our lives and we fight little battles when they come up. Little seemingly insignificant battles. And so do you.

7. Melanie

Melanie Guest

Yes !! I also view pride as a way of expressing solidarity with those that are still not as free as lgbt in the us. Much ground has been won but there is so much still lacking particularly for many outside the us

8. Vivi3

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Thanks for the messages of support! I just finished getting ready. I look great. :eusa_danc And more importantly, I feel great! This is the first time I can tell people honestly why I am at a gay pride!!!

If I knew being true to myself would feel like this, I would have it done it so long ago.

9. Dinah

Third star to the right & straight on til morning.
    Consider all the straight folks who attend those events. Do they need to be gay/lesbian/non-hetero in order to be allowed to participate?

10. valerie247

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Hell yes you have the right! The battle that you fought within yourself to get you to this point IS fighting for LGBT rights. You came out! That's not a small feat for most people....but it's the starting point for all of it!

I'm going for my first time this year. :slight_smile:

11. White Knight

Sorry but that is BS. We all live our lives. No one can pass judgement on your life and choices. I guess you did what you thought you had to do.

Yes there will be people who will think ill of you but who cares about them? You still do good to LGBT people, by preventing young people doing same mistakes as yours, showing them understanding and compassion.

It is never too late to turn wrongs into rights. (*hug*)

12. mawwhite

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Are you proud to be part of the LGBT community? Sounds like yes so have a good time!

13. tscott

Go out and be proud. Proud, because you've fought hard to get were you are today. Sister, I've had a panic room for a closet and bring down those walls has been every bit as painful as protesting on the Hill or being called faggot in the classroom. You've earned that right by dint of having served your time in a prison you created for yourself by trying to do what most of thought was the right and proper thing to do. Our Pride is not until July, but I'll be there in the parade and why not? We've all earned our place in the sun.

14. SimplyJay

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Yep, as others have said...you deff have the right to be there! Go! Enjoy pride!

I've been multiple times even not being out & always enjoyed it...and pretty much see it as any person who falls under GLBT has the right to attend

15. Gaysibling

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Congratulations! Everyone has their own journey, no one has more right or less right to be proud of who they are... Now get out there and enjoy your right to be proud :slight_smile:

16. link4816

So I went for it and walked in the parade with an organization for which I do volunteer work. I called up a friend of mine the day before, told him I am gay (much to his surprise), and asked him to join me. He agreed to walk with me! The day of, we accidentally dressed nearly identical - reddish shorts, blue shirt. I was planning to swap out my tshirt with one from the organization so my friend and I would not be total twinsies, but all the mediums and larges had been taken. I ended up cutting up a 3XL shirt and made a kind of bib out of it. :slight_smile: my friend and I didn't really know anybody there, so while we were waiting for the parade to start, we snuck off to a nearby bar and each had a whiskey sour and a shot if bourbon - to take the edge off. We rejoined the group, received a handful of beads to toss out to the crowd, and began the walk. It was a lot of fun tossing beads into the cheering crowd. There were SO many people. When I ran out if beads, all I had left to offer was my smile, so I let them have it! A guy I know, who I haven't told, texted me and said he saw me but I didn't say hello. I didn't see him! I saw another guy, a colleague of mine, standing out front with his girlfriend. I also have not told him, and honestly, I was not planning to tell him anytime soon. When he saw me, he ran up to me and have me a big hug. I had a very good time at the parade, and so did my friend.

Moral of the story, at least for me: find opportunities to put yourself out there when you can. Life is too short to dream all the time instead of actually living life.

17. SimplyJay

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Congrats link4816! Glad to hear all went well & you enjoyed it :slight_smile:

18. looking for me

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yes you do. enjoy, that is all......:thewave::stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:ride::newcolor:

19. HTBO

Of course you do! Be proud of who you are. I'lll be attending my first pride this summer, and I am very excited!!

20. biffle50

biffle50 Guest

Of course you have a right. Remember your celebrating your pride too.