1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hello, first post and a bit lost

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by cathycakes, Jun 8, 2014.

1. cathycakes

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Hello everyone,
    I split up with my long term (male) partner two years ago as I knew I was lesbian and was sick of fighting it. We had been together for 15 years.
    I'm half wishing I had't left. I don't know any gay women and while some friends have been supportive, some haven't and my family have cut me off.
    I never thought it would be a walk in the park but I honestly feel like I am too old to meet someone now (45). I don't look that or feel that great.
    There's lots of social things for gay women where I live but they are all much younger and seem so sure of themselves.
    Anyone else been through this?
    many thanks
    Cathycakes

2. Penpal

Hi Cathy, welcome to the EC. I have just split from my husband and I am turning 40 this month. I have joined a group to find friends but not to find a partner. I'm not ready for that yet. I think I am one of the youngest in the group. I met a couple of them yesterday and they said most of them have been married before and have all come out late. The couple yesterday came out at 49 and have found each other on the Internet. They are now happy together. I don't think it's too late you just need to find the right place to meet people. I said I thought I had left it too late and they told me about a 90 year old who has recently come out. Good luck with your search. X

3. Sig

Sig

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Hi Cathy. Welcome to EC :slight_smile:
    I have been married twice, both long term, both "happy". I left one, the other left me. Either way I never really knew what was wrong, but it was always all wrong.
    This year I realised what it was, I think (and I'm still saying think) I'm gay (don't enjoy the word lesbian). I can't believe I didn't know it before; I didn't see the signs at all, just thought everyone felt the way I did.
    Anyway, I'm now wherever I am, and . . . I'm 60. So if you're too old, my lovely, I'm doomed. :slight_smile:
    Go for it; celebrate that you're still young, get yourself a new look, and go out there and live a good new life.
    Very best of luck to you.
    Hugs