1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Taking the plunge!

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by Kreativ, Jun 13, 2014.

1. Kreativ

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Hello y'all:
    I am not straight. I know that now. OK, lol, breathe.
    Don't know if I'm gay or bi. I do suspect, once I become more active in the LGBT universe, I'll prob will discover I'm gay. We'll see. Right now, I'm just coming out to myself, and it is frightening and GREAT!
    I'm a 51 y/o man. I'm a single dad to a teenager. I became a Buddhist in 2009. Degree in Art- painter. My day job is a case manager for the developmentally disabled.
    I'm not sure what to do next..There is a gay bar in town, but I'm not into bar scenes, straight or gay. There aren't a lot of other choices to meet men in my area, except for the internet. And my preference is get to know people slowly, esp. a potential lover/partner. And I like doing so face-to-face.
    Its a little embarrassing to be going through all these baby steps, again, at my age. Dating, learning the 'rules,' etc.
    And to be really honest, the sex, as much as I want it, scares me, too. Another set of skills to learn, another opportunity to embarrass myself with my lack of homoerotic experience.
    I guess what I'd really love is to meet a bunch of you lovely people IRL, esp. with other newbies in the mix, get to know one another, get brave, hold our noses and jump in to the deep end of the pool.
    One last point- its all not just about fear. There are things about being gay/bi/queer that I'm excited about. The freedom, the honesty, and the beauty of it.
    Well, lol, that's enough bravery for one night. Thank you to any who read my post.
    I wish you the best!
    Kreativ

2. Sig

Sig

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Hiya Kreativ,
    Good for you, never to old to find yourself (so I'm told :icon_wink) By this time next year you'll be looking back at this post smiling, knowing how far you've come since.
    Enjoy being out there.
    :slight_smile:

3. PatrickUK

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    For someone who is just coming out this is a good site to make friends and get support while you are taking those "baby steps". Most of us only know each other through chatting on the forum or our walls, but there is the option to upgrade membership after a few weeks and some forum activity to full status, then you can message other members privately, if you wish.

4. biffle50

biffle50 Guest

Congrats. Thanks for sharing with us :slight_smile:

5. quietman702

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Proud of you Kreativ! sure there are challenges but know you can find your way.

6. Kreativ

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Thank you Linco, Quiet, Siv, and Biffle for your encouragement.
    Truly appreciated,
    Kreativ

---------- Post added 15th Jun 2014 at 12:20 AM ----------

Sorry, lol, SIG. Forgive typo.

7. Tracks

You have to take things moment by moment. But in the meantime congrats for the steps you have taken.

8. HTBO

Kreativ, I know exactly how you feel!! It's like being a teenage all over again. And the sex, yes, definitely scary. I had a girl smile at me once, and I panicked, lol. It's very different. We will get it, and hopefully in a year we can look back and think of how far we've come.
    You are right, there are many great things about it, especially the freedom and honesty.
    Congratulations!