1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Lonely on Pride week

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by wanderinggirl, Jun 13, 2014.

1. wanderinggirl

Of the handful of LGBT ladies I know, 2 are exes and I'm not really on speaking terms with them. The rest are out of town or busy on Pride. I have nobody to go with. I feel totally disconnected. I've tried looking for volunteer positions in various LGBT things but nothing has come up yet, I feel like a broken queer, like online I can connect with other LGBT people but the in-person community doesn't want me. Maybe I should just go back to straight. Straight is great, right?

2. stocking

stocking Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Your not the only one only on pride week , I totally hear on that one wondering girl
    <-------:icon_sad:

3. wanderinggirl

Stocking: happy pride, here's to next year's being way better! Or to last-minute straight friends saving us from lameness!!

4. stocking

stocking Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Yeah I hope so and Happy pride to you too Wondering girl :slight_smile:

5. asdfghjk

asdfghjk Guest

nah straight sucks once you gone the other way c: are there any online regional forums or social media groups or anything? idk but i'm sure you're cool and the timing is just bad, you're not a "broken queer" I promise!

6. Really

Hey wanderinggirl,

I don't know about anyone else but I wouldn't mind reading about the experience of a "newbie" going for the first time. (Is this you're first time?)
    Maybe if you went as a "reporter" and then wrote out a bit of it for us, we could live vicariously through you. What kind if stuff goes on? Live music, food trucks, vendor booths, etc?
    Anyway, just thought if you had a reason to go, you might find some fun there.

7. Sig

Sig

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Thats a great idea, Really.
    Maybe both our intrepid friends could go, and report different things back. I love to read about it, and get different points of view.

8. wanderinggirl

Hahaha I know! I've tried to go back, but then I talk to a cute smart laid back spontaneous fun lady and get sucked back into the fray. Sigh, I just can't help it... :icon_wink

:stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:ride: :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:ride: :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:ride:

---------- Post added 13th Jun 2014 at 09:02 PM ----------

I actually went last year, with a girl I was dating at the time, but I was questioning and scared and dehydrated and didn't enjoy it at all. I didn't feel like I fit in, like I was really "proud", and the night ended with crying on my bed while breaking up with that girl because I was so confused with feelings. I aim for a drama-free pride this year.

OOoh I could do that! I have a sexy reporter outfit from last halloween just for this occasion! (jk i don't have one but that would be awesome)

I think I'll drag a few straight buddies with me, and if they don't come I'll shout "HOMOPHOBIA!" because that's how you guilt people into coming to the best festival ever. Right? :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Anyways thanks, you're right, I should really keep it in perspective: it's about celebrating what we have, not what we don't have.

---------- Post added 13th Jun 2014 at 09:06 PM ----------

I'll post a synopsis of what happened, complete with photos!

#8 wanderinggirl, Jun 13, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 13, 2014
  9. Really

Oh, no. Dehydrated is very bad, Lois Lane. Make sure Jimmy Olsen has extra thirst quenching supplies in his camera bag.

10. wanderinggirl

Thirst quenching supplies? Lol... you mean water?? :icon_wink

11. TheStormInside

Thanks for being our eyes and ears, wanderinggirl! I look forward to reading your report :slight_smile: . I don't do well with crowds and I'm still in that confused questioning mode, but I'd love to know what pride festivals are like, and maybe next time it comes around I'll be in a better position to join, myself.

12. LostMyself

LostMyself Guest

I went to my first pride this year I'm not out with my sexuality but I have always wanted to go to pride since I was 16.I asked my very straight friend if she would like to go she said sure when we got there I was so excited lol she didn't seem as happy as me infact she stood there quite emotionless through out it I felt guily about how I felt but then I thought stuff it she said yes to go it has the best time ever even went to my first gay bar she tagged along and sat in a corner while I just blossomed into this flower who had been dead for so long.So even though I was at this event with a friend I was alone in every aspect.Just enjoy it for you! Can't wait for the next one pretty sure I'll be alone for that one as I'm the only one out of anyone I know who loves it.Happy pride

13. Really

Whatever flows your boat. :wink:

14. Sig

Sig

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Rubs hands together. Oooh, I'm going to get to go to pride without actually being there! Thanks Wanderinggirl. Looking forward to hearing every detail. :slight_smile:

15. wanderinggirl

Wow! I can imagine she was overwhelmed, but I think there should be room for straight allies there, it shouldn't be that big a deal. I imagine you buzzing around telling every lady how beautiful she is and twirling around in a manic daze shooting rainbowglitter out of every pore.

Seriously pride is the best.

16. wanderinggirl

Update: staying in all night. Happy Pride!

Tomorrow I'll maybe go out for a bit but I've already committed to a sports team so I won't be making it out. It's funny how when I bring up pride my straight friends were like "ooh yea that sounds awesome!!" but in reality they have no interest in going. Sigh...

Sorry I couldn't spy for you guys and report back on the awesomeness.