1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My coming out story "My Secret Pain"

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by quietman702, Jun 14, 2014.

1. quietman702

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I wanted to share my coming out story in the hope that it might help others in their journey.

#1 quietman702, Jun 14, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 4, 2014
  2. quietman702

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Should I include the text here... was't thinking as just realized some may not be able to open .docx

3. LostMyself

LostMyself Guest

It wouldn't let me read it said there was an error with opening it.

4. quietman702

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Coming out... finally!
    In the fall of 2011 I was at a crisis point in my life, being gay but hiding for a very long time. The following was from my heart at that time and I called it…
    “My Secret Pain”
    Right now, this very second I'm in so much pain that I want to die. Fifty one years of keeping secrets is eating me alive, I feel as though I'm losing my mind. Most of my memories of childhood are non-existent as the secret had to be kept at all costs. The way for me to do this was to forget everything.
    As far back as I can remember at age four I had a type if sexual awareness for other boys. How or why I had this awareness is a mystery. As a ward of the state anything could have happened. It could have been in my home before removal by children's services at age three, at a foster home, or the children's home before being adopted.
    Now at fifty-five, I'm dealing with being gay and married and what am I going to do about it. I know the fashion is to come out, but my heart tells me no. How selfish would it be of me to come out now and devastate my elderly parents? And hurt my loving wife of thirty-three years. She has been at my side all the way through hell and back, including the loss of our daughter at age twenty by suicide. My other daughter would probably never let me see my grand kids again. I know the pain I feel is unbearable; how could I inflict that on a loved one?
    Maybe with my constant flight schedule a plane will go down and I'll be the one killed. That way my secret pain will remain with me to the grave. I'm such a coward, my daughter had the guts to do it, why don’t I.
    I've prayed so many times to be "normal" yet this issue remains the same. The Bible teaches that He knew us in our mother’s womb and we are fearfully and wonderfully made. So with that, was I born this way and if so do I really need to ask for forgiveness or changing? Round and round I go, slowly going down the drain with each time around with my secret pain. Will it ever stop, ever change, will I ever be accepted for who I am? So I finally can be released from… my secret pain?
    ……………………………….
    A few months after I wrote that letter to myself I somehow summoned the courage to come out to my wife and the world. It was a very rough time since then, but it's getting better. She blamed herself for quite a while, but over time she is realizing that it’s no one’s fault. Some may say that I was just trying to join in the “trend of coming out”. This was the hardest decision that I've ever made in my life so trust me when I say I wasn’t trying to be trendy. I just couldn't live with "the secret" any more... it was literally killing me (mentally, physically and spiritually).
    Some of you may be wondering what took me so long to come out. I've wondered that many times myself. There were many hindrances, growing up in an ultra conservative farming community where it was better to be a serial killer than being gay. Religion, family and the like also made it abundantly clear that I wouldn’t be welcome anymore. So block by block I walled myself off, trying to hide even from myself. Mainly I hid due to FEAR, of being alone, unloved and even being dead.
    Post script:
    Now that it’s been almost a year later I made this post to my time line on Facebook a month or so ago.
    “I’m not so naïve to think that all who I come in contact will be happy for me. Some may be hateful and despise me for what and who I am, and if that’s the case just save your hate and un-friend me. Others I hope will be supportive and help me along my journey. Some of the days ahead are going to be rough, yet I hope there are also days of self acceptance and awe and wonder. There might be some that think that how can I be a man of faith and be gay… you should know one thing… nothing can separate me from the love of God, not you, not myself or my being gay.”

5. Richie.

I'm so glad you posted this, one thing that made my mind up to come out to my wife was what my life was gonna be like it 12 months time, and well it seems you have fully embraced and accepted being gay and self acceptance is the name of the game... I hope I'm there in six months time that's when I've caught up with your current statement.

Maybe we should have a 12 months and beyond thread.. Yup I'm gonna start one

I hope your life is bright and colourful for all eternity!!

Peace!!

6. quietman702

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    thanks Richie... hoping the best for you. My next big hurdle is how do I date guys yet still married... can't afford to move out etc.

7. Richie.

I'm a great believer in fate :slight_smile::thumbsup:

8. LostMyself

LostMyself Guest

Thank you for sharing I wish you all the happiness and love on your new journey in life.Massive hugs x

9. quietman702

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Love hugs, thanks

10. KyleD

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Family only
    So beautiful, made me tear up!

11. marriedover50

Thank you for sharing and for your bravery to post on your timeline. I understand some your tensions. I am glad you can claim your God given birthright that nothing can separate you from. amen.

12. Kreativ

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Thanks, Quiet, for sharing those thoughts, your feelings- your self with us!

13. PatrickUK

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    An incredibly moving post that will resonate with so many who read and post on this forum.

You have confronted some huge fears, crossed major hurdles and finally embraced a part of you that has been hidden away for so many years. Yes, there is still a way to go and I know you are not always finding it easy, but you can use EC to chat and communicate with like minded people in a safe way, free from the fear of hate and resentment. Hopefully, this will help you to find a way of crossing the remaining hurdles.

Thank you for sharing your story with us.

14. quietman702

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Thanks to all for your kindness and acceptance, it really means a lot.

15. Yossarian

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    A worldly older lady once told me, "Some people are just no damn good". They will judge you against their own prejudices and find you lacking. This does not mean anything about you, it is only a fault in them. As long you ignore the ones that are no good and enjoy the ones trying to help you, and keep faith in yourself, you will be fine.

16. quietman702

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    thanks Yosarian so true... was raised to find the best in others... but sometimes it's mystery as where's it at

17. oneday004

The key words for me were shame, guilt, fear and self hatred. Those words a no longer in my vocabulary. I now have self worth,
    am happy and dont carry around this big block of fear around. The journey still continues as I have come out to some family members and friends,but im doing that in baby steps. For me the biggest hurdle is my wife I have told her a couple of time that I am gay( not easy the first let alone 2 or 3 times) but she chooses to be in denial. Self acceptance is a major mountain i think we all cross, when others cant accept us It is hurtful but it is their problem and I try not to surround my self with those people. I know I have al;ot more gay friends now than I did 2 years ago . Keep on keepin on This forum was a great help also in so may ways

18. quietman702

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    oneday thanks for sharing, my wife is doing something similar