1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

does this mean anything

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by stella99, Jun 21, 2014.

1. stella99

Hi guys, looking for some opinions....... I finally went out for the night with my 'trigger crush'. we had a really nice time but it was quite laid back as this is the first time we have been out together. Background - i,m married 20 years and now admiting to myself what i,ve suspected for years, shes a colleague i'm head over heels in love with but she doesnt know. I have been told she is a lesbian. We had a nice meal then went on for a few drinks. Walking home afterwards she linked arms with me and we were so close and comfortable with each other I dont know what to make of this. We were literaly glued to each other walking along. Is this normal? I never know if im reading things into nothing because I want to. Weve never discussed feelings. Is she holding back because im married? I can see Im going to gave to tell her eventually but I keep looking for clues and don,t know if im seeing what I want to see. what do you guys think? :confused:

2. HTBO

I think you may have to talk to her about it, let her know you think you may be gay. She probably thinks you're straight, especially if she knows you're married. My 'trigger crush' was surprised when I told her I was gay. But, I never had any intention of pursuing her, we are in different positions that make it inappropriate and she has a girlfriend, but she was someone I trusted, which is why i came out to her. I see her as someone I am grateful towards (even though she has no idea) because without her I may never have realized. I am ready for an actual relationship now, and trust me it was very, very difficult to get over her. I did the same as you, I analyzed every single action/word. Sometimes I even think she was interested but because of the context of our relationship and she thought I was straight and married, she resisted. I don't know for sure, but a lot of signs pointed that way. So, if you want to know, either talk to her about it, or find a way to tell her that you think you are gay. She will likely be very supportive, and who knows what will happen.

3. Sig

Sig

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I wish I could be of help, stella, but I would't have a clue if someone was interested or just being friendly; it's all too new and bewildering right now.
    If you're not keen on talking to her about it just yet, could you keep going out as friends, enjoying each other's company for a while, letting the friendship grow, and see how things unfold? Or maybe your need to be sure of her feelings for you is too overwhelming to wait.
    Whatever you decide to do, I hope it turns out happy for you.
    All the best.

4. Melanie

Melanie Guest

Some women are just like that. I don't think there is any way to know just based on that.

If it were me I would just continue to spend time with her and see if things develop over time.

5. stella99

Thanks for the replies guys.
    Sig, your description of 'overwhelming' is spot on. Due to work circumstances she may be leaving my life altogether. I can feel physically sick at the thought. I didn't want to say anything on our first night out, didn't seem right, but now i wish i had. But I so want to let her know I'm not straight and take it from there. But how on earth do you throw that into the conversation? Do I make a joke of it? Anyone previously been there who can give advice on how to approach it/how it went? Much as I would like to, I don't think we're going to have much chance of going out often, if at all.:icon_sad:

6. mnguy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Sounds like a wonderful evening :slight_smile: Since you're married she probably doesn't have much hope for being with you, but the holding arms and being so close sounds like she might feel what you're feeling. If that ever happened to me with one of my co-worker crushes I'd be in heaven. That would mean something for guys to do that in the US, but maybe it's common for women to walk arm in arm where you are. With my crushes I'm always the single one and they are always in a relationship so at least there's a better chance of her being into you. If she is the type of person who won't go blabbing your conversations maybe you could bring up something about feeling really close to her or thinking of getting out of your marriage due to long repressed feelings. I hope there is a happy ending for you on this.

7. stella99

Thanks mnguy. You're correct, it was heaven. We were togetherr for 6 hours and it flew in. Ive never walked so close to another colleague before in that way so I hope you are correct that she's feeling it too. I can see your point in that if, as far as shes concerned, im married and she has no hope, she wont respond. I really need to tell her something soon. Its almost as if the not knowing is worse than being rejected now. ill need to try and direct a coversation at work as I honestly don't know when we will be out next.k Not easy. How have others coped with a similar situation with a work colleague?

8. HTBO

Do you know for sure she's a lesbian? Because if she is, that's an excuse to talk to her about you questioning your orientation. You can say that you've been questioning, you need talk to somebody, something like that and since she's been through this is some way at some point, that maybe she will understand. You don't have to tell her how you feel about her, but it's a natural way to open that door.

9. stella99

Thanks HTBO, that would have been a good idea but I have only been told on good authority that she is a lesbian although she has never hinted/mentioned anything herself. I wouldn't be able to mention her experience as she doesn't think anyone knows, but she should be sympathetic. I had decided I would try to say to her tomorrow how I feel about her, now I'm not sure. It may be best to focus on my confusion within so she would be under no pressure. Whenever I think of speaking to her I can feel myself getting teary. I think I'll end up just breaking down when I start and that will dictate how things go. Oh I wish it was over......

10. HTBO

I understand how you feel. My crush was a professor and I was her teacher assistant. I knew it was an inappropriate crush, and she will never know about it...It was really difficult because my crush began beginning of the school year, the reason I began to reflect my sexual orientation and realized I was gay. I was also her TA the second semester, so eight months of torture! When I thought of the semester ending, I would be like you, and be very upset at the idea of not seeing her again. We did get closer as the months went on, but I also knew what the boundaries were, and I respected them (but I didn't want to). She did eventually come out to me (but everyone suspected she was, she just didn't talk about that part of her) when she told me about her gf. Which actually made it easier for me knowing she had a gf. Anyways, because I did feel close to her, and I respect and admired her, she was the first person I came out to. And I have no doubt she was the right person to do it because her reaction was wonderful!! The kind of reaction we should all have when we tell that first person. Anyways semester is over, and I haven't seen or spoken to her since beginning of May. Difficult at first, but I've tried to stop thinking about her. I've been looking forward/dreading the new school year because I'm sure I'll see her since I'm a grad student. Even when I go to see my supervisor, it's my instinct to check to see if she's there. However, I've recently met someone else (not in person yet) who I'm interested in (my first non-trigger crush) and my prof occupies much less of my time these days. I know this probably won't help you, I just wanted to share my experience with you and to let you know I understand your pain, and the overwhelming emotion you are feeling for this woman. But if you think she may be leaving, protect yourself and mentally prepare. I didn't want to do that, I didn't want to accept that it may not happen (the hope is always there, I know), but I knew when the time came that it would be really difficult. I suggest is you try to win her friendship so she if she does leave your workplace, she won't leave your life, and that possibility will be there once you have your mind in the right place.
    I was also married, and I never even considered that a problem. I'm glad I kept my feelings about her to myself and couldn't pursue anything, because I probably wouldn't have considered the fact I was married. I know your feelings are overwhelming, but if you really care about this woman, do it right. Take care of your immediate situation, keep her in your life as a friend, and once you are single and have your mind in the place it needs to be (trust me as you come to accept yourself and tell others you will go through an emotional roller coaster), go for it if you still feel the same. You don't want to begin a relationship with someone you care about when you are still married, which will only hurt your husband further. I do say this in a very supporting way. It's just I know what and how you are feeling and that you may not see all the angles at the moment because I've been there.

11. stella99

Wow HTBO. Thank you so much for that. Your situation sounds so similar to mine and my stomach turned when you said you hadn't seen her since may - transferring that state of affairs to me. I know exactly what you mean when you say being married is not a problem (in my head). I can honestly say I have never been tempted to cheat on my husband before but I would struggle not to now. I hope to keep in touch with her when she goes but it won't be the same as seeing her everyday. I don't know how close I am to dealing with things at home, I'm terrified at the thought of rocking the boat. All I can think about just now is when I see her next. Weekends at home without her are torture, its so wrong.
    You give such good advice having come through the other end. Yes my feelings are overwhelming everything just now and it does actually physically hurt and I know I'm not thinking straight. I just feel I want her to know how I feel to give us a chance but, as you've pointed out so well, that's the heart ruling the head. I think I will try to come out to her and see what happens. No pressure on her. I have tried to mentally imagine her leaving for the last time and I just burst into tears. I do that a lot just now, just thinking about everything and then there are tears rolling down my cheeks. Luckily no one at home has caught me yet.:confused:

12. HTBO

Yes, are situations are very similar. I remember when I first realized I had a crush on her. Class was on Friday, and I had to work the week-end, and all that kept going through my head was her smile, and it's gorgeous. I remember by the week-end I had asked myself multiple times why I kept thinking about her, over and over. I also remember thinking, 'because I liked it!' Then my process began, and I call her my trigger crush because it couldn't have been more obvious than if a plane crashed on top of me. I remember the long week-ends at home, I didn't want to be there. And because I was her TA, I would receive emails from her, which made me very excited. I would make excuses to go see her, sometimes really bad ones, but it was easy to find a reason because it's a school environment. I also remember the thoughts of not seeing her anymore, it was painful. I do hope that her and I can be friends some day. I've come to accept that it will never be anything more, and I'm ok with that now. I know I met her for a reason, and I will always be grateful that I did. She was kind of my rock for those 8 months, she just didn't know it. She influenced me in many ways, and I kind of 'found' myself because of her. Once the winter semester ended I wrote her an email telling her the positive impact she had on my life and that I will always be grateful (of course I left out the crush part of it). It was kind of my way of letting her go, but also telling her that she's special (yes, I was able to find a way to sneak that in:slight_smile:) She will always have a special place with me, and I will be there for her if she ever needs anything.
    I think for you coming out to her will be a great way to begin. And, from the looks of it, the first person other than here that you will tell. I hope her reaction is as wonderful as my crush's was because it was important to me how she reacted. The first time you say those words I'm gay or I'm a lesbian, however you do it, is empowering and liberating. It gives you strength and courage you never knew you had, and help prepares for what is to follow.
    As for telling your husband, you'll know when the time is right, and I'll be here for you for that. I have a good experience in that department as well.

13. stella99

You are spot on with the plane crash scenario HTBO. This has hit like a thunderbolt. I have managed to tell her she has taught me more than she will ever know....in the guise I of talking about work. She will probably be working with me for a few weeks yet so I didn't say anything today. I'll try to find a good time,
    But I feel I've got a bit more time so I'm not panicking as much. She will always be a special person to me. I like the thought of an email......will keep you posted.

14. stella99

Just to update you guys, I am trying really hard to back off from my trigger crush and focus on keeping her as a freind, she made a comment a few days ago about not being interested in the past in someone who was married with 2 kids (same as me), dont know if im imagining things cos im so tuned in to every nuance. So,. Im concentrating on having fun together at work and enjoying our freindship. It can be difficult to back off as she takes every opportunity to lean against me when we,re looking at the same computer etc and I take great pleasure in leaning right back. I'm coming to the conclusion that she is interested but is being sensible as I am married. Its so right that nothing should happen while I am married.. I dont know if or when that will change. I dont know if I have the courage to change anything in that department. Im coming to the conclusion if I can keep her as a freind I will be lucky. I know how special she is to me and for the moment that is my secret. Who knows what will happen in the future, im just focusing on not losing her completely. Do you guys think that is a good move? Thanks HTBO for your words of wisdom. You really helped me see sense and I feel a lot calmer now although I still miss her like crazy when we are apart. I feel as if she is more relaxed already so maybe I was coming on too strong.

15. azure au

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It sounds like you have made a decision that is resting well with you. For what it's worth it sounds like a good decision to me too.
    I made a similar decision with the woman I fell for. Our friendship became more two years down the track. I believe if I had spoken to her too early we would not be together now because I did not know what it was that I wanted. We have such a very strong bond that grew from our friendship. If it is never more than a close friendship that is great too, real friends are hard to find.

16. stella99

Thanks azure au. Im glad things worked out for you. I'm really trying to be sensible here but it is so hard. I have never missed someone so much in my whole life when we are not together. I know I should deal with my marriage first. I just so dont want to lose touch with her. I'm trying so hard to convince myself having her as a fiend will be better than nothing. Who knows what will happen down the line. I have good days and bad days but at least I feel in control some of the time instead of being a constant wreck. I guess I will still be looking for signs from her that she is interested, I cant help it. Have others took a step back and had the ending they hoped for?