1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Straight behavior out of necessity

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by Ifeelgreeaat, Jun 22, 2014.

1. Ifeelgreeaat

Would you place gay- friendly but poor job outlook mid-atlantic city over conservative career - advancing coastal town?

2. Molly1977

Gay friendly town and poor job prospects over the conservative town but good job. Id rather be happy and poor than rich and misrable.

3. Melanie

Melanie Guest

It depends on your personality. If you go to the "conservative" place you can be a groundbreaking influence as a gay man. I'm all for infiltrating and improving things (if possible) for those that come after me.

Good luck whatever you choose. :slight_smile:

4. jnr183

Also depends on whether you are single and if you want to meet someone or not!

5. Ifeelgreeaat

Thank you for the insightful replies. I neglected to mention that I am also 1 1/2 years in recovery and have a history of bipolar disorder; two other factors to consider.

6. jnr183

I will say that I am starting to come out and live in a university town in the middle of nowhere. I hope to have moved from here within the next 12 months. There are a few reasons for wanting to leave but certainly my sexuality is one of them. Because I feel impermanent here I am hesitant to come out and share this part of my life here.

Talking to others in more friendly areas, I realize that I may be better off in these types of places. And, relatively speaking, I am a fairly conservative traditional guy.

If you can't be happy where you live, no job is worth it. Some free unqualified advice for you on this Monday morning!

7. finebime

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Totally agree. Money isn't everything.

8. Linux Lenny

It depends on your definition of "conservative " and how much "conservative" the place is . Here where I live I see everywhere as gay-friendly environment :grin: . I don't know the case in US tho.