1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What do you think?

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by Carm, Jun 23, 2014.

1. Carm

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Hi, all. I haven't posted for a while. I'm writing to ask your opinion. I have been out for 8 years, and am still married to a man. I attend a church here with a good mix of tolerant and not-as-tolerant people. A close friend of mine has been in this church since childhood, and let's just say that her family is not-as-tolerant. However, she is extremely open-minded to the point of being almost shockingly proactive. We became friends at a time of crisis for my marriage when sexuality issues were foremost in my mind. She has spoken with me at length about my M.O.M., and is so supportive of me and my sexuality (that sound strange, but you get the drift). Nowadays, I've come through a lot of healing, and don't feel the need to bring up my sexuality all the time. But she seems to want to speak to me about gay-relate issues every time we get together. I mean, every time. I basically get a run -down on everything gay-related in her life. I'm truly happy to do this; she seems to need this connection. But I think it's interesting that this always comes from her, and she seems to be working through her own frustrations and issues with people in her life who aren't as accepting as she. She gets really bent out of shape about it, and then gets embarrassed and either backs down of justifies but really seems to need to talk it out, even though there are several ppl in her life she could talk about it with, it's always me, and I wonder if that's by design. I've come to realize that his issue is huge for her and seems like a personal burden that won't give her any relief. It's starting to seem like its actually about her. She has always set off my gaydar, but she's married hetero and I wasn't sure how much weight to give my curiosity. She has often talked about her non-girly ways, and our similarities are striking. I am just not sure how to, or if I should, ask her if she is not straight, and offer a listening ear. Does this seem like normal behavior?

2. Melanie

Melanie Guest

Well for me I was a straight ally for a long time that later discovered I'm gay so it wouldn't surprise me at all if she is on a similar journey

3. Kreativ

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Carm:
    Sounds like it to me. Remember the line from Shakespeare...
    "She doth protest too much."