1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best city to come out in?

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by foamfloater, Jul 4, 2014.

1. foamfloater

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    So...
    Im currently trying to come out (very late, in my 30s). Im on a year working holiday in Taiwan, saving some money to restart my life, and when I move back to the states I want to get serious about dating and my artwork..
    But I dont know where to go!
    I am trying to decide between moving back to NYC, trying out LA, or going to SF. Or eve somewhere else. Who knows.

Sad to say although I moved there from my tiny small town I managed to live in NYC for years in the closet, so I would have to re-make myself when I go back which might be very hard..Im a little ashamed of how repressed I have been. But NYC is still great (though pricy), and I am sure people will understand-its NYC after all..
    SF is newish but I still know a few people, and I am out to a few of them but not all by a long shot. The art scene in SF is not as good as NYC or LA but it IS ultra gay.
    In LA I know very few folks but it would be a pretty blank slate, which is sort of exciting (maybe harder to meet folks with all that driving though?).

My question is, do you think its easier to move somewhere new when trying to figure out your sexuality, or is it better to just tell everyone you already know and move forward? Or both? In the end I have to follow my gut but feedback would be fun. Any suggestions? Left field is fine too.
    :icon_bigg

2. Vampire

My goal is to move to SF when I decide to properly start my life. I know people who live there and I've seen the city and it seems like one of the most welcoming cities.

Also, ADVENTURE TIME FAN :OOOOO <3

lots of love,
    Andy

3. foamfloater

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Yeah!! Adventure time rocks my socks. : ) : )

4. ClosetedFather

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Isn't that the ultimate coming out dream. To move to a new city, anonymous and start your life new as a gay man or woman. Sounds great to me.

I wonder what you might be missing out on. I can't say for sure as I am only out to a handful of people myself but I think the coming out process has is important part of becoming a fully matured gay man or woman. There were several people in which my X outed me to (it was fine with me at the time... not malicious) and with each of those people I feel now as though I lost a conversation... a reaction good or bad.... and a chance for growth, and self acceptance on my way to being the confident gay man I want to be.

5. foamfloater

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Good points both.. Sometimes the harder path is the best.
    Choices are not easy! No not at all.
    Going back to NYC would probably be the hardest thing for me to do. Its not an easy place at all, and it would be very different from the 1st time (which was magical in many ways). But perhaps its more rewarding because its scarier? I dont know.

6. CyclingFan

SF is not cheap either. And the public transit is nowhere near as good as NYC, which will add to your costs.

It is the ultimate dream, right? To just remake yourself somewhere new? I'm planning on moving towards the city core here, which I wanted to do anyway. I'll be within walking distance of our little gay area. I wish we had high speed rail, cause then SF would be less than an hour away, but I'll still visit anyway. I mean, I go there a few times a year anyway, now I just have different reasons.

I do wonder if I could figure out a way to move to Berlin, cause I liked it traveling there and it's supposed to have quite a gay scene. Not sure about the winters though.

7. girlpower

Hi! i have not been to any of the mentioned cities/states but i'd say moving to a new place is always great. in your case, not only because its gay friendly but in every aspect. it gives your life a new meaning.. meeting to new people and staying out of your 'known' and comfort zone is always a great thing to do. You never know whats in store for you.. you must give it a chance and start all over:slight_smile: speaking from personal experiences:slight_smile:

8. Henry656

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    a two part answer.
    1. the best place is where you have accepting friends and a support group or network.
    2. The place of acceptance is not outside your head but within your head. You first have to accept yourself.
    my love and I live and love n Astoria, queens, just 30 minutes by subway to Greenwich village and Chelsea in Manhattan, where there are the Gay bars you want and close to the Center for LGBT people. 2,000 bucks a month for one bedroom penthouse. Everyone is accepting of LGBT people. Fantastic.

9. foamfloater

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Good points all. Its so hard to decide!! Oh and cycling fan- yes Berlin!! I spent a few weeks with friends there in 2000-2001.. SO FUN. SOOOOO FUN-- I have a feeling Barcelona would be really awesome too... Maybe you could go on a student exchange?
    But yeah friends! I think its true. Although when I moved to NYC the first time I did it cold and knew no-one, and it worked out fine. Im getting a bit tired of moving to new places and having to make all new friends though.
    It would be nice to deepen the friendships I have.
    --and henry, yes to self acceptance, but it can be the hardest thing.. Esp after years of deeply engrained self hatred! Its something to work on.

10. HuskyPup

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Baltimore is a very open/accepting city, and it's not nearly as expensive as NYC, and is also very close to DC. I like it because it's laid back, but has been building up quite an arts community, and seems to have a lot of energy at the moment. It's big enough to be a real city, but small enough to be friendly. There isn't that frantic pace of NYC/Boston; it's a lot more mellow. It may seem a bit 'gritty' at first, but all in all, I've found it a welcoming place. (I moved here from Michigan in the late 1990s; grew up in a rural area)

11. Really

Hi there,
    Of those 3 cities, I've only lived in NYC but I was only 9 then so don't really have anything useful to add on that front but wouldn't a new neighbourhood and new job associates be new enough while still having access to current friends , etc?
    (Did you draw your avatar? I really like it.)

12. BelleFromHell

I've lived in Atlanta for most of my life, and 99% of the people that I've come out to have been accepting (with the exception of a few church people and a lesbian family member who refuses to believe me). I'm proud to say that this is one of the few areas in the south where people are less likely to judge you based on your orientation.

I also lived in the Sarasota/Bradenton area of Florida for a few months. It was very accepting (probably due to the art culture there). The only person there who had a problem with it was my birth-father, but he's an asshat.

13. OGS

OGS

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I live in Chicago and have never encountered any issues--plus the city's whole city of neighborhoods approach can be wonderful if you want to sort of immerse yourself in the life. For most of my twenties here I hardly even knew any straight people.:lol:

I don't think it's necessary to move somewhere new but I think it really helps. I came to Chicago for grad school and just sort of hit the ground running--you're not countering anyone's expectations, you're just setting them correctly from the get go. Other than coming out to my parents I've never really come out to anyone. I just showed up gay and by the time I went back (I grew up in Utah) it was already pretty well established that I was gay--no difficult conversations, just being me.

14. tscott

I love it here in Rochester, NY...except for the winters...I've lived in DC, London, Boston, Pittsburgh and Winston-Salem, NC...Not a lot of night life...but I'm middle-aged, came out in January...Very supportive community...oldest continuous gay newspaper in the country...very progressive...great arts, especially music and very diverse. It's a place that's welcoming and it's home...also a reasonable cost of living...near the Finger Lakes wine country...lot's of sailing, fairly horsey too.

Depends on what's important to you

15. foamfloater

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I did not draw my avatar, but thanks! Its Marceline the vampire queen from Adventure Time. She is rad. Thanks for all the advice. WHo know what i will do! I have a hard time with big choices like this. Im sure it will make more sense closer to the day of the move though. Nice to hear about all those small town jems. Good to know there are great communities all over the place. : )

16. PlantSoul

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Speaking mainly from personal experiences, NYC seems to be a gay mecca. I used to know someone who originally came from there and she said it was the gay capital of the world. It has always struck me as a very open-minded, anything goes sort of place. It does have a strong art movement, but it can be extremely pricey over there.

---------- Post added 6th Jul 2014 at 10:27 AM ----------

Is it, really? I know that may sound a little strange since I am from B-More, but I've never really associated it with openness or having a particularly large LGBT community. Then again, I've never really taken the time to embrace the city.

17. HuskyPup

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yeah, I's say so, though it depends on where you are in it, to a degree. I'd say the core of the city that basically runs north along Charles street is the most interesting; I love the Station North Arts district a good deal, as well as Mount Vernon, Bolton Hill, Charles Village, Remmington, Hamden. There's a lot to do, a vibrant night life, a nice counter-cultural feel about it. I'm not as familiar with the burbs, or neighborhoods farther out, but the part I've lived in seems open, and with a good deal of LGBT people about.

18. foamfloater

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I think many cities have a gay scene. Even my rural hometown has one. It was a bit more besieged then the scene in say, SF or NYC though. : ) But it is a fun and tight knit group of people.

I know what you are saying about NYC and price.. Boy do I ever.Its so much more gentrified now then it was too. Although it is a gay mecca I lived there for years in the closet, so it will be a bit awkward/embarrassing to come out to my gay friends. If that makes sense!
    I dont know why its so hard for me to make choices, I want something to come along from outside and do it for me- like, even silly tarot cards are appealing. Im so scared of making the wrong decision! But i guess no matter what I will make the best of it.
    Thanks all!

19. NickD

So Denver, Colorado would be a good choice. A lot of people don't realize it, but we have the biggest Pride Parade in the nation, even bigger than SF. The center for performing arts is phenomenal and the LoDo (lower downtown area) is beautiful and artsy and so welcoming of all different types.

I've visited other places (NY, DC) but Denver just feels like a closer community and has a more intimate setting for the arts scene.

Of course I'm a native, so I'm a bit biased, but I love it here. And we were rated 12th best gay-friendly city in the nation, above NYC and LA if that makes the case. Here's an article too;
    Denver ranks among most LGBT-friendly cities in America - The Denver Post

At least visit, we'd love to have you!

20. offmychest

offmychest Guest

my view is that a new city offers a clean slate for you to mentally start fresh and be who you want to be without being encumbered by the "what is this person going to think" or will so-and-so see me in my new "gayness" and i knew them from my "straight closet world".

with that said, there is also something to be said for standing tall in your truth and taking a stand where you are. sometimes problems and "closets" tend to "move" with us. it would be sad to move all the way to a new city and start all over again as a closeted person.

my advice would be to sit down and really think where you would like to live in terms of finances, job, culture, and where you find the most happiness. even travel to the other potential cities to see if they feel like "home" to you. then make your decision on that. then wherever that location is start to come out in your own truth in your own time. for instance, if you really like NYC but only do not want to move back there because it would be harder for you to come out of your closet there, then i say force yourself to come out in NYC.

every city is going to have its pluses and negatives.

i'll leave you with a short story....there was a once a beautiful girl that lived in NYC and thought she was ugly. she was embarrassed by unconventional "strange" looks so she covered herself up, wore homely clothes, and did everything she could to hide herself. always looked down, didn't go to parties, and avoided eye contact with people. a job opening came up in San Fran so she decided to take it and be a computer geek in Silicon Valley. She felt it fit her personality more than NYC and nobody would care about looks or fashion in the land of the computer programmers. She moved. She thought the city was ok. One day when she was at the mall a modeling scout saw her and said she was beautiful and he wanted her to come to an open call he was doing. She took his card and researched him. He seemed legit. She thought, hey this would be a big laugh so why not call his bluff. She called him and attended the open call. They loved her unconventional look. Guess what, she got booked to a top agency in NYC of all places and eventually had to move back there anyway. Her unconventional look ended up selling tons of magazine covers. My point is, you do not have to run to another place to be who you are. who you are right now is amazing, and if you start to show yourself for who you really are, you do not need to start all over to do that.