1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to carry on...

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by Cigitab, Jul 9, 2014.

1. Cigitab

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I went through a pretty intense therapy session yesterday. I told my therapist "deep dark secrets" (at least they used to seem that way to me) about my orientation, being attracted to guys, etc that I never told anyone before. It's kind of a surreal experience for me..I have to leave work, go to therapy, say this stuff, and then when time is up somehow pick right back up and go back to work. I'm pretty sure I got almost nothing done yesterday after that, just sat in my cubicle and stared at the screen. Its like my world is inverted and I'm just supposed to keep walking around and do the same stuff; it seems kind of like that scene in the movie "Inception" (one of my favorite movies) when the world suddenly takes a 180 degree bend and they are able to just walk up the side and into the upside down world.

Is this a common experience?

I am feeling a lot of really intense emotion, I'm not sure if I've ever felt this way in 43 years, but somehow I have to keep doing the same stuff when all I want to do is curl up in a ball somewhere and cry my eyes out, but my life doesn't really allow for that right now.

Thanks for listening...

2. Greeley

I'm sorry you feel that way, i wish i could help you but im afraid you can only help yourself.

You sound like how i was before i came out, you just want to shrivel up and stop being hurt by fear. It is horrible and more painful than anything physical.

Obviously i don't know your full story or anything but i'm afraid that you will be feeling that pain until you finally let go and give up and just say to yourself and everybody else "I'm gay".

The first one is the hardest, telling the first family member, friend ect... But trust me, after saying it, everything is blissful, its like everything goes silent and the air suddenly just got cleaner and you feel heat rush out of your body that its basically like opening that door that you've piled too much stuff in and it all just bursts out. It's truly a relief!

3. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hey Cigitab, welcome to EC!

What you are experiencing is quite common, it is as you say a total inversion of what you have believed about yourself for years.

It appears that you need to grieve the loss of that "self" you once held so dear...it is important to find the time and place to do this, if you can. Above all else, it is important for your own mental health to truly feel what you are going through.

Do you have any glimpse of that light at the end of the tunnel? When you told your therapist, did you feel any sense of relief? Perhaps the feeling that a large burden has been taken away? Is there any happiness among the intense emotions you are feeling?

If you have already experienced that silver lining, try to remember that feeling. It is just as important to experience that feeling and honor it.

There is absolutely no shame in being who you are, take pride in what you have done, and will continue to do: becoming yourself.

4. Jim1454

Hi there, and welcome to EC!

Yes - it's totally normal for you to feel pretty overwhelmed right now. There are going to be a lot of emotions that come gushing out - because you've kept them bottled up for such a long time.

It passes, and eventually it becomes a non issue.

Again - welcome!

5. Cigitab

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Thanks for the kind responses. Fortunately I am at home today so nobody has to watch me cry on the keyboard.

It feels like I alternate really quickly between denial, sadness, anger, etc. Like all the stages of acceptance are sort of scrunched together in a ball. There is some happiness in there too.

I guess I spent a lot of years hiding myself...all that stuff needs to come out somehow.

6. ThomasG1234

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    It's normal to feel overwhelmed by the emotions. Your world is turning upside down. But don't despair, it gets better. Think of it like a snow globe. You just shook it up and everything is swirling around you making you question which way is up. Give it a little time and things will start to settle into place, one by one. Do you have a strong support network? I found that having just a couple of supportive close friends whom I could talk with went a long way in helping me through the initial stages of the coming out process.

7. CyclingFan

Hi citigab,

Yep, this all sounds pretty normal to me too. There's a lot of people working their way through it here, at various places. Your feelings are pretty inline with what I've gone through recently, as well as several others.

It gets better. :slight_smile:

8. Richie.

Yep being overwhelmed in therapy is what it's all about. It gets easier. Well done for opening up! Brave

9. CyclingFan

I've had aspects of all of those stages of grieving and acceptance too, simultaneously. I'll start feeling real accepting then cycle back a little bit. But it gets better each time, and I'm more accepting each time. So, hang on, it might get bumpy, but you can get through it. :slight_smile:

Sometimes it feels so much sometimes, especially since it's all that stuff like for you that was really suppressed. It makes me a little nervous, cause I've had anxiety issues before that were harmful. And the intensity of the emotions can be something else...like a life time of emotions pouring out at once. Which is exactly what it is.

But I've found some happiness there too, glad you have as well. Finally embracing who you are is terrifying but so rewarding when you can do it. I feel like I've just scratched the surface.

So again, welcome aboard! I've found it helpful to get through some tough work days when I felt like I just couldn't deal.

10. HTBO

Emotional roller coaster is how I describe it. Some days will be wonderful and then the next day you wish you can go back to being oblivious. Once you realize and begin to accept, there is no going back, it changes who you are. This is a good thing because you will become the person you were meant to be. The journey is a little bumpy, but at the same time exhilarating. You came to a good place

11. BeingEarnest

I started coming out three months ago, and I still feel like the world is inverted and every time I think I have a handle on it, there is a new turn. I can say that in the three months since coming out, i have cried more than I ever could imagine. I held my emotions so tightly for so long,that when they started to unravel, it has been incredibly intense. But it has been healing, and slowly, I feel more and more relief, and acceptance of myself.

It can be hard to go back to life and work in the midst of such change, but work, and life can be a blessing- as this process is ongoing. It helps to remember to breath, and take it one day at a time.

12. Cigitab

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Thanks so much again for the support everyone!

If I take a couple steps back from my situation, it is actually kind of cool. It's like I'm writing my own story for once, instead of just letting stuff happen to me. In a weird way I'm glad I'm going through this in my 40's...I don't know if the 20 year old me could have handled this. I don't regret any of my "straight" life, but I couldn't keep going without acknowledging this part of me.

---------- Post added 9th Jul 2014 at 07:52 PM ----------

Well, I do kinda regret all the cute guys I missed out on :slight_smile:..but maybe it had to happen this way, I wasn't ready yet before.