1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I accept you, but not me.

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by Damien, Jul 11, 2014.

1. Damien

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I've changed over the last few months. Whereas even when I identified as straight, I had this kind of liking for the lgbt community - I was never a homophobe, if by homophobe we mean someone who is against or aversive to lgbt folk - well now, that has deepened into not just increased understanding and appreciation, but obviously a new sense of perhaps belonging as well. I hope so. I haven't ever fitted in anywhere else, so I do hope.

I accept all of you, but I still don't accept that this is ok for me. I apologize for this post, why I am feeling this way I don't know. But suddenly a part of me is arcing up a bit, saying what the hell is going on with me. I always liked women sexually before, and (apart from adolescence, where I did like guys also), I have mostly fantasized about women. Can someone really go as much to the other side as I have in just a few months? My perceptions of beauty are changing. I am finding the male form more alluring than ever before. It almost verges on obsession at the moment. I can accept that this is ok for all of you gay guys out there, but I'm not accepting this is ok for me. This is not one of my rational posts. I'm not even thinking clearly.

I never liked male genitalia before (apart from my own haha.) Now, well I've got no problem with them. In fact to be honest, I'm allured by that part of a guy's body right now. I can hardly wait to get out and meet a few people, and it is to be hoped, get to know a guy whom I can get sexually intimate with. As I've said elsewhere, for the first half of my life, I mostly explored relationships with women. Now, I feel like that 'other side' of my sexual nature has come down on me with a vengeance, impelling me to really want to get sexual with guys.

I keep telling myself, this must just be a phase, what are you doing? How can you like guys? They are the same sex as you. But that's the thing. That's what I like about them. I don't understand what is happening to me. I am conflicted. So much for me being free from confusion. I'm not. I'm almost a bit scared. Scared of becoming a homosexual. All my life I've been told by most of society not to be one. And although I've had empathy for lgbt folk and was never mean about them, I never thought I would become one myself. I thought I was straight! And for years I almost always just felt attracted to women. This feels like maybe I am just avoiding the complications of being with a woman, maybe I'm reacting to all the pain I've had in every sexual relationship I've had with a woman, by just running away. By just going to the other side, to being with guys. Some guys can be quite beautiful too. I think so, anyway. But they have the advantage of not being women, so all the emotional pain that has gone along with being with women might not arise, with a guy. I don't know for sure, of course, not even having had a boyfriend as yet. Although I can tell you that is going to change. Even against my own wishes, I am going to dive in to this. I feel impelled by a force of attraction that is not under my control. I do like guys damn it. Maybe I'm gay, or at least partly gay. Maybe I'm a 'fag' as they used to insultingly call gay guys. Maybe that's me!

Forgive me I'm being irrational. But I actually like guys because they are the same sex as me. That scares me a bit.

This is the most irrational post I've ever written so forgive anything in it that may cause offense.

thanks for reading.

---------- Post added 11th Jul 2014 at 09:20 PM ----------

Thousands of years of straight culture, neatly and effectively programmed in from a young age, telling me to be exclusively straight. A deep cultural conditioning that idealizes the notion of ending up with the 'other half' that 'completes' you, ie, a woman, complete with white picket fence, crushing mortgage and stress headaches. I was supposed to aspire for that glory. Maybe that's not my thing after all.

#1 Damien, Jul 11, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 11, 2014
  2. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It's not irrational at all...principally because I recognize that old struggle within myself. I was, after all, married and had kids. I had female relationships.

I found this to be the most interesting thing you wrote:

First of all, being with a guy may seem "uncomplicated", but I assure you that they are just as complicated (only differently so...but I like them anyway :grin:). Emotional pain is a guarantee, no matter what the gender!

What pain are you referring to? Failed relationships (been there)? Sexual frustration (check)? Something else (probably)? Relationships are complicated, mostly because each loves the other in ways that may be vastly different. Misunderstandings ensue because "love" is an intangible concept, it is in the symbolic realm where words like love can have so many different meanings.

So you like guys, but maybe you don't have to be so definite or desperate to reach for a label just yet...maybe all you need to do is keep yourself open to the possibility of liking some guys...or loving one guy.

As for being scared, well, fear is not intrinsically a bad thing. It exists primarily to protect you. It is only a problem when it paralyzes you and keeps you from becoming closer to who you are. Why not wake up each day without a label but also without any inhibitions as to what gender you prefer? Why not take each day, moment by moment, with an openness to your own desires and the possibilities these desires will lead you to?

3. Damien

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Hi greatwhale,

as has been the case before, your advice has been calming and wise. I agree with you, I'm reaching for some sense of certainty too soon again. I'm not ready to label myself at all. I'm going back to just saying, "I don't know". Thank you for all of your insights. I won't reply to each point you made, let my just say you have given me the food for thought I needed.

Regarding guys causing pain too, well then I'm just going to give up sex then lol. Ok just kidding. I wouldn't be able to do that. haha.

#3 Damien, Jul 11, 2014
  4. Nothing irrational about this at all - I can completely relate to what you're saying. I'm also still struggling to "let myself go" - like actually follow my feelings, let my guard down etc. One thing I do know, is overthinking things doesn't help. I gotta get out there & live my life. I can't say I've been hugely successful yet, but I'm trying. And it's getting easier.

I've lived at least half of my 29 years on this planet doing the opposite to what I wanted, so much so that doing what comes naturally to me feels uncomfortable. I know I've got to fight the discomfort & throw myself at life. One thing that works for me - when I start thinking too much about things, is to tell myself to leave the worrying for later. I'll write a book when I retire. I'm sure I'll have it figured out by then.

5. TheStormInside

Damien, I'm going through some similar feelings regarding self acceptance. I always have had no problem with the LGBT community, either, and have been totally fine with people of various sexual preferences. It just never mattered to me. I also realize now that for a long time I knew I liked women but I chose not to address it or label it because it seemed too frightening to unearth, and if I could just leave it there in the back of my mind why not do so? Obviously things have changed now and I'm not content in my life ignoring or suppressing those feelings anymore. But with them seems to come a lot of fear and shame. My therapist called it internalized homophobia. As you said, all our lives we've been told not to be gay. We've had that message of negativity drilled in. She made the point that when someone comes out to us we are the one in control of the judgements being made. We're not the one feeling so exposed. So it's understandable that when the position is reversed it's going to feel scary.

I was talking to my friend about this, and he started asking me a series of questions related to himself. Things like "If I told you I was gay, would you be ok with that?" "What if I told you I was bi, and had slept with a guy friend of mine?" "What if I told you I was bi but I only ever dated one sex?" and so on. And of course my answer to all of his questions was "That's fine." He then turned it around on me and told me he was trying to make me realize if it's ok for him, it's of course ok for me too. Going through that exercise helped a little. It also helps to know you have some support in your life, not just from people on this forum (though we are happy to help!) but from people who have known you personally and are more entrenched in your life. It just kind of reminds you that no, most people aren't going to judge you or abandon you because of your sexuality (at least, I hope your friends are open like mine). Do you have any friends you can talk to like that?

6. PatrickUK

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You are not being irrational at all. You are reacting to a period of major personal and emotional upheaval and you are trying to find a way of making sense of and ordering some of your thoughts. Vent away and let's see if we can help.

I snipped that part from your posting, because it seems most relevant to what I'm going to say, but I could of snipped a few other lines besides...

...during adolescence, you also liked guys. I think it's really good and important that you accept and acknowledged that point, rather than trying to erase it from your memory as a teenage phase. You see, what we experience early in life, has a significant bearing on our physical and emotional development years later... sometimes, many years later. We try (and to some extent, succeed) in putting these events aside for a few years and then we experience a level of shock when it all comes rushing to the surface again. We shouldn't be so shocked really, as we never dealt with the 'stuff' in the first place - we just tried to bury it. The attraction to the same sex in adolescence would seem to have been more than a teen phase.

The other point I picked up in that snipped quote Damien, was that you mostly fantasised about women. MOSTLY. Elsewhere, you said that you mostly explored relationships with women and almost always felt attracted to women. Whether you consciously wrote the words mostly and almost, I don't know, but can you see how you are acknowledging that deeper, doubting feeling within you whilst writing to us?

So in one snipped quote I saw you acknowledge your adolescent feelings of same sex attraction and question your commitment to the opposite sex. Easy for me, as I'm not living it out in your shoes... not so easy when you are dealing with it though, is it?

I believe you are genuine when you say you are not homophobic towards the LGB community, but I think there is a level of internalised homophobia that you have and still are struggling with. Again, it may not be something you have been conscious of, but perhaps you are now realising it and struggling with it.

You are on a journey my friend. Some of us experience this journey early in life, others put the brakes on and try to live a so called normal life until it catches up with them years later.

Stick with us and let us help you on that journey, knowing that your feelings and emotions are both natural and normal.

:slight_smile:

7. Damien

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    That's good advice for me also, I tend to feel deeply yes, but then overanalyze those feelings to death. I ought to think less, and live more.

8. HTBO

It takes some time. I know even though I accepted other LGBT, as you, I did not accept myself. I think that's because when I thought about others, it wasn't as real, but more of an abstract concept. I didn't imagine what they did behind closed doors, etc. and therefore it was easy. yet, when it came to me, it was still ok when I thought about it in an abstract way, but then to think of the possibility of being in a relationship scared me. I thought how strange it would be to hold hands, or kiss or sex with someone of the same sex, yet it's exactly what I want. It was a definite conflict I had with myself, and so I decided to overcome it I had to be desensitized. I would go to the area in my city and walk around and watch people. And I did feel uncomfortable watching people of same-sex holding hands and acting like a couple. it was so strange because on the one hand I want that, but on the other, it seemed wrong some how. I have overcome that and now not only to I look forward to all those things, but I am comfortable with the idea. If I fantasize, nothing in me now thinks it's wrong, only natural. And I realized this the other day. I was on the metro and a lesbian couple got on. They were showing some affection, not overly just touching each other, etc like heterosexual couples often do. I looked around and everyone seemed very uncomfortable and looked away, and I was looking at them smiling thinking what a sweet couple. I hope I can have that some day. I used to be like the others, but I have no need to turn away now. This internal homophobia is a result of years of being socialized to be heterosexual and to have feelings shame for anything not conforming to that. It will take time to shed that shame.

9. Damien

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    You are right, if someone else was going through this, I would counsel them that it was ok. Regarding whether I know many folks irl I can talk to about it, well not really. I told my family (mother, brother and sister) and my two kids (who are of an age where it is appropriate for them to know, and are totally fine with that sort of thing, as most of their peers are interestingly). But I have gotten a bit isolated since not having any work as such, for a while...but thanks for the suggestion I will think about who else might be good to tell. I agree that it could help ground all of this in reality a bit more, rather than it being too much just an online thing.

---------- Post added 11th Jul 2014 at 10:07 PM ----------

I've had a few issues in my life, totally apart from all this stuff. I said fantasized because for me, that is the indicator of one's inclination, ie, what does one habitually long for? I also used that term because I have not had that many girlfriends or relationships at all in any case. Most folks I know my age have had heaps more than me. I've been a bit of a loner most of even my adult life. So 'fantasy' has been predominant, and 'actual experience' has been somewhat more rare, over the years.

---------- Post added 11th Jul 2014 at 10:27 PM ----------

My feeling exactly, I want it but 'it seems wrong somehow'. Regarding watching lgbt couples, well yes that's a good idea, would help to normalize it a bit for me.

10. Damien

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    To all of you who have replied and kindly helped me: I'm actually moved, I mean yes this is just an online forum, I have not met you in real life, but nevertheless, I know that you are real people, ultimately, sitting at your respective computers, from all around the globe, helping out someone in need, ie myself. That much I know about you for sure, that you care enough to do that; which is a beautiful thing. Thank you

#10 Damien, Jul 11, 2014
  11. Calamus1960

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    It seems self acceptance is such a common element in our struggle. If we can't accept ourselves, how can we expect others to accept us? I find that the more I read EC, the more strength I get in self acceptance. When I read Linco's comments, the hairs on the back of my neck stood up, my heart raced, my hands shook...his comment about passing off teen attractions as a phase really jumped me..hard...As I look back at my teen years and all the "playing around" I did, I really felt alive, excited, complete..Only later to hide and self loathe because it was "wrong". Im 54. I hesitate jumping into gay culture because of fear that entrenched into my being as such an early age. It is powerful..and hard to overcome...Yet the more I read here, the more excited I get...It has been a year since I came out to myself and a few others...alas, for a spell I had doubts and told a few friends I was not sure..but no longer...To quote Popeye (for those who remember him) " I am, what I am"...

12. Ha, yeah. I think everone on here is probably going through something similar. We all get hung up on *what is my sexuality?* at some point. I'm not sure I'm ever going to fully resolve mine, but *gay* is the best fit for me where I am right now.

One thing that makes sense to me, when I get stuck in the sexuality overthinking loop is (to paraphrase, and plagiarise someone on reddit) to remember that sexuality is 3 things;

1.What you actually do

2.What you want to do

3.What you tell people you do

In reality, I'm not sure there's a single adult on the planet who manages to fully and permanently reconcile those three! It's a thinking tool to remind me i'm not alone - and that seems to bring me some temporary relief from the anxiety.

Just my 2p worth!

13. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I love these! Ain't that the truth! :thumbsup:

14. Choirboy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    So many great comments and thoughts here....I think one of the hardest things for me to let go of has been the notion of the wife and kids in the suburban house with the crushing mortgage--the "normal" life that I was programmed for practically since birth. So programmed, in fact, that while I was quite aware of my fascination with guys and my complete lack of sexual interest in girls, I could never bring myself to consider the possibility of being more than, perhaps, very slightly bisexual. But here I am, two kids, wife who was a stay-at-home mom long enough that she is no longer qualified for much of anything in the job market, house that's worth less than what we owe, and the sinking realization that if I had been more open to (and aware of) my own reality, I would not have done any of it the way I did.

My boss for most of the last 15 years was a very stable and partnered gay man whom I respected and felt completely comfortable with, even as his close (female) friend and our co-worker would ask him curious questions about gay slang and bedroom activities. (When she went on one time about how bad cum tasted, I nearly blurted out "Oh, for heaven's sake, I've tried mine and there's nothing wrong with it!") I was totally comfortable with it and actually managed to live vicariously through him now and then. But despite that, I was never able to make that leap and say that I was actually gay, until nearly 2 years ago.

Absolutely, don't label yourself. Think about who you like and who you're interested in. I stumbled over the word "gay" because of the implications that I saw in it, but the fact remained that women never turned me on, guys did, and the emotional turmoil that I felt in every straight relationship I was in had less to do with knowing the person than it did with trying to make myself feel something when I just couldn't. Go with it, allow yourself to feel what seems natural to you, and it's much easier. As you said, I like guys because they're guys. And when you find someone you're comfortable holding hands with, kissing or more, and by chance it happens to be a guy, it makes even more sense.

15. Louie1

So True! Thank you for those wise words! :thumbsup:

16. Damien

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I want to say a big thank you to everyone who has offered their insights here and replied. Sorry if I've not replied to you personally, I have been preparing for a gig (it's today, and I have to start getting ready, not to mention warming up the pieces I am to play). Plus, even in the relative anonymity of an Internet Forum, I can find revealing personal information kind of gut-wrenching, despite the fact that everyone has been so supportive. Then I feel emotional that folks have been caring etc. I've isolated myself too much in life, have not really made enough of an effort to reach out to others, to be more brave and cultivate friendships in general. This is a good 'testing ground' in any case, although in time I hope that even some actual friendships come about from my travels in ec, although I'm aware that more personal communications can only take place between full members, so that's all in the future.

Thanks again for all of your help. It has made a difference. I actually found that, after the difficult day I had when I wrote that original post, that your support, and a good night's rest, had me awaken the next day more at peace again. It's a tumultuous journey for me, one day stormy and rough, another day more serene and sometimes, even joyful. Well, I drew out of the Cosmic Hat a challenging life, but at least it's not dull.
    Damien :slight_smile:

17. BlueSky224

Damien,
    I think you're extraordinarily rational. You've recognized that sexual orientation is not necessarily absolute, and it can change over time.

Your comment about anatomy is really quite normal in my opinion. Yes, male anatomy can be quite disgusting (but less disgusting than the female version, in my experience.) So it can give one pause, "why would ever find this at all appealing?" In my experience, straight people have the same thoughts. "Why do I even like this?"

Incidentally, I am a former Melbournian. It is fortunately a place with many bright, respectful, insightful guys. I attended a school with a reputation for producing gay guys (our uniform appeared on the cover of a gay magazine.) In reality, my Melbourne classmates were far more open to talking about sexuality than when I moved to America. Bottom line: you're welcome to talk with us, but you're also in a good place to connect with others.

Although Cynthia Nixon's quote rings true for many of us; I hope that you will find open-minded respect and dialogue amid your friends and neighbours.

18. Damien

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    My confusion at present does not result so much from the fact that for the last few months I have increasingly fantasized about guys, and hardly at all about women. It arises from the fact that for about 20 years before then, I really was allured by and got off on women. This is why, despite at present only really wanting some kind of emotional closeness with a woman, as an affectionate friend, and not to have anything sexual with her, nevertheless I have to assume I must be bi rather than gay. If I were really gay, I would have been more like the other guys here, who always felt attracted to guys, and were never that interested in girls, as I was for about 20 years, up until a few months ago...right?

I have indeed stopped trying to label myself too soon, on the good advice of a few folks here. I am learning to accept this period of change and transition, to surrender more to it, and as you say, to just allow my inclinations free rein to go where they will. It is uncomfortable but I agree it's necessary. I saw a few women I felt drawn to while in the city today, but who I really remember was this guy, I could just tell something about him, the way he was dressed, his hairstyle, the tight black jeans that showed his shapely legs and I must admit his butt, man he looked good. I sort of turned back to have another look, I just thought wow what an attractive guy. If it was just images of guys online that had drawn me into a spiral of obsession with guys, I would doubt that something is happening to me, but I now check out guys in the real world too, and when they sometimes check me out as well, it gets me going, I must say.

---------- Post added 13th Jul 2014 at 04:33 PM ----------

Since we don't really know who we all are in the real world here, I'm going to speak freely here...when I first began allowing myself to fantasize about guys I loved their beautiful faces, their flat chests, and their shapely butts shall we say *embarrassed*, but the sexual organs were not that interesting to me. But as I 'allowed' myself more and more, I kind of got used to some of the different shapes and sizes of the equipment of the guys I was looking at online, and now I have no problem with virtually any of them. I think that if I made a real life connection with a guy, if his organ didn't look as lovely and perfect as some others do, it would not matter now because we fall for a person, not just for their sexual organs.

#18 Damien, Jul 12, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 12, 2014
  19. Radioactive Bi

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think from all the answers so far, it's clearly demonstrated that many people have had similar experiences. I myself had a period of denial and almost fear when I started exploring more openly my sexuality and realised I may be a member of the LGBT community.

For me, I was in a long term relationship between 20 - 32 and even had kids. During that time, although I had certain feelings regarding the same gender, I never really addressed it and went no the assumption I was straight. It was only when my wife and I separated and there was the possibility I'd seek out a new partner that I really had to confront and explore my feelings honestly and openly. When I did that, it was pretty nerve wracking At the prospect of being LGBT, even though I had nothing against LGBT, but I accepted it soon enough and had never been happier that I could be honest and true to myself.

I'm sure the same will be true for you. There is nothing more liberating than being able to express yourself honestly and it takes real courage to do so.

Happy days :slight_smile:

20. Damien

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Part of me still believes I'm actually straight and and that 'this is all just a phase'. I will let everyone know if it was, but I really need to fully experience being with a guy first, preferably quite a few times so I can be totally sure. And we have to do absolutely everything too, just to make sure. As you can see, I'm as straight as a die. :grin:

---------- Post added 13th Jul 2014 at 06:34 PM ----------

For every indicator that this is more than merely a phase of experimentation and novelty, my mind comes up with a reason or excuse as to why it is all probably just a phase of experimentation and novelty.