1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Nobody ever asks me about it

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by jnr183, Jul 15, 2014.

1. jnr183

I haven't posted much recently and that's because there isn't a ton to update on in my life. Things aren't great but they definitely aren't bad.

I have come out to my closest of close friends. For the most part, everyone has been just fine to me and doesn't really act like anything is different. All these friends are long-distance so most of our communication is on the phone. One thing I have noticed is that, with all of them, no one ever asks how coming out is going.... how I feel about this process.

Friends used to ask how things were going with my ex or my love life, etc. Now it's just this void in the conversation that I think they are afraid of touching. The thing is I want them to ask me about it. I want them to ask me questions. I want to know what they want to know. I feel weird bringing up something like this. I don't want to put people on the spot. Sure, maybe they just don't care that I'm gay but this is a big thing going on in my life at the moment and talking about it would help me. And when I say close friends, these friends are basically like family... I love these people and they love me. In my mind they could never ask a question that was too personal.

Have others experienced this? Obviously if I want to talk about it I'm going to have to be the one that brings it up. How did you approach this situation?

2. bingostring

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    You may need to bring it up first. My experience is that people walk on eggshells and only the brave ones mention it.

Some may read tense body language and deliberately talk about the weather, or a film they'd like to see.

Try it with some one.. just one at first .. and see how it goes

3. Candace

From my experiences, my best friends who are straight guys, don't know how to approach the subject. They're not gay themselves and they'd rather err on the side of caution since they don't want to offend. It's also probably because they haven't been enlightened on what it's like to come out and be gay. They're not gay themselves, so why should they be?

In other words:

It's something that they personally aren't and have never experienced, so it might be a delicate subject for them to touch base upon since they don't want to offend you. That's what I think.

4. mangotree

Did you have a long, emotional and detailed conversation about coming out during the time that you were telling each of them personally?

It could be a couple of reasons. They could be walking on egg-shells like others have said, but they could also be unsure/unaware of why it's such a big deal for you.

Do they realise that coming out is a big deal and a difficult and emotional thing to do? A lot of straight people just don't understand the need to come out, the emotional release it causes, the freedom you feel, your need to talk about it etc... because they've never experienced it themselves.

To some people, hearing "I'm gay" from a friend is the equivalent of hearing "I'm left handed".
    While I think that's the way it should be, it's really not the truth for you internally.
    Your friends probably think they're doing you a favour by being so "accepting".

What kinds of questions do you want them to ask?

Peace! (*hug*)

5. Choirboy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I know the feeling. I have a handful of co-workers who regularly ask about how things are with me and my boyfriend, bless them, but for the most part, the silence is deafening. I've posted a ton of extremely gay-friendly and downright leading stuff on Facebook and no one has asked a thing (and a co-worker whom I'm out to has said that you'd have to be very dense to look at my Facebook and not realize almost instantly that I was gay). In fact, I shared the story of Apple CEO Tim Cook being outed by the media and commented that people should respect a person's privacy, but if they want to know, they should just ask directly and will surely get an answer. I thought it was mighty clear that I was telling people to ask me--but I didn't get a bite. Or even a guarded comment from the Facebook friends who already know.

As others have said, coming out isn't something that a lot of people have very direct experience with, so it's a giant unknown. They probably don't know the ground rules at all and assume that saying nothing is better than offending or hurting you. I also believe that the whole idle chitchat of how are you, how's your love life and so on--even among close friends--is so programmed in that it's largely meaningless filler that no one even thinks about it when they say it. By coming out to them, that fact gets exposed, they have to actually think about conversation, and they're not at all sure how to handle it.

It sucks that this becomes your responsibility, since you have enough on your mind from just going through it, but you really need to train your friends what you're willing to discuss and where the limits are. They probably have no idea. If you bring it up in a casual way, it will signal to them that you're OK with discussing it--even enthusiastic! After all, this is new to you too, and you need to explore where your OWN comfort zone is for discussion. They are likely not the only ones who are still figuring out where the limits are--you may find yourself figuring them out as well.

6. Calamus1960

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I find this thread very interesting as I too have sensed the "walking on egg shells" syndrome with friends and family. I understand it may be hard to talk about it. But, I think we should be the ones to break the ice and softly steer the conversations onto the subject. When we make ourselves vulnerable, I find people reciprocate and wonderful conversations and friendships grow and bonds are strengthened.

7. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I completely agree with this.

During the early years of our marriage, my ex's cousin came out as a lesbian. When she came by for a visit, she openly talked about dating a "hot" girl. I felt that twinge of discomfort right away, it felt strange and way outside our comfort zone. We didn't know how to move the conversation forward. It was more comfortable to quickly change the subject. In retrospect, I probably know how she felt...

So yes, if they won't talk about it, you will have to and you will need to judge the right time and place. Don't do it to fish for a response or to be provocative, talk about it to express what it is you are going through because you need to express it to someone who will listen. If this is done often enough, I suspect the listener, after learning a whole bunch of things from you, will find the words to respond, either with questions or reassurances, or maybe even a little wisdom.

It may help to begin your conversation with the following statement: "I feel that what I am about to say may make you a little uncomfortable, so please feel free to interrupt if you would rather not discuss it. I'm sharing this with you because I really trust you and I just need to talk about it."

8. Jim1454

Re-read what you wrote yourself:

Do you think that is exactly what your friends are thinking as well? If you're uncomfortable bringing it up, and it's about you, how do you think they feel about it?

I had the same experience. I had to bring it up again 3 or 4 months after I came out to my parents, because nothing was said of it again. Come up with a way of bringing it up - even if it's to talk about this great web site, or a gay social event that you're going to.

9. biggayguy

I had this issue with my parents. They would ask about my social life and I would say something like "Oh, it's just fine." Other times there would just be a silence since I couldn't tell them I went out clubbing with my gay friends.

After I came out they wouldn't ask anymore. I think my mom was afraid of what the answer would be. Dad was more accepting. He just said what you do is your own business. We don't get into personal issues much these days.:dry:

10. jnr183

Wow thank you for all the replies. I am sorry for the delay in my reponse but it has been a hectic few days!

Yes, I did. I mean, I am not that openly emotional - I think it is from years of guarding myself. I actually started choking up when I told my two best friends about a month ago but man am I good at putting those tears away. It's something I'd like to change about myself.... but regardless the conversations were pretty honest and frank.

That's a really good question and surprisingly a hard one to answer! I'm not sure what I want them to ask. I want them to ask questions about what they are thinking. Again, maybe they are thinking nothing. I want them to ask if I have told any other people? Or who have I told? Who do I think I should tell next?

It's funny because when I tell friends I usually tell them who else I've already told- and the response is like, why do you feel like you need to tell me? Isn't that not my business?

....the fact is, you are one of my best friends. THIS IS COMPLETELY YOUR BUSINESS! I WANT IT TO BE YOUR BUSINESS! It doesn't need to be on social media or a mass email, BUT I WANT YOU TO BE PART OF THIS!

Different perspectives help me learn more about a topic... this time the topic being me. I guess I want them to ask how things are going and how I feel about it. It sounds like a cop-out, but when I get the question "How are you?" (in conversation, not as a greeting), I feel like I've never heard a more loaded question. I mean, really, where on Earth do I begin? It's probably their polite and benign way of probing. I wish they'd ask me more pointed questions. I'm not saying these are reasonable expectations of a friend, it's just what I want. And if I don't open the lines of communication I guess I can't expect them to ask these kinds of questions, which really is maybe a little ridiculous of me.

I think that this is spot on. It does surprise me that these friends are worried about overstepping bounds being that I opened up to them about one of the most personal and internal struggles of my life. But again, annoyingly, what do they know about going through that?

I think at the surface there isn't much going on. My day-to-day life hasn't changed much, my job hasn't changed, I don't have a boyfriend, I still haven't told my family, etc. I guess they have no earthly idea how much is going on beneath the surface.

This is what I'm REALLY looking for, greatwhale!

They certainly might be. I guess I don't know that it's so much me being uncomfortable about bringing it up, but I just don't know where to start. It's like I brought it up once and now I have to figure out a way/reason to bring it up again. Which is a very doable task... just takes some thinking.

I think one problem for me has been that, after years of meticulously hiding this secret, I have become VERY good about being open about many things... I can talk very openly about my concerns with work, my concerns with my life, etc., but I am really good at compartmentalizing certain parts of me- not even just my sexuality- but just leaving parts of the story out. It's like second nature to me. It's another thing I need to work on undoing.

Anyways, thanks everybody for your words. It is so good to hear from others who have gone through this before or are going through it now. I have some thinking to do and I do think it's a matter of finding the right time and place. It is funny how some part of this are easier than expected, and others are so much harder.

#10 jnr183, Jul 17, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 17, 2014
  11. Biotech49

In my situation, at least with family, I get teased, in a kind way. At work, when asked about my plans for the weekend I flat out tell them that I'm going to visit my girlfriend (if I'm planning on doing that). My co-workers have found out, slowly but surely, that I am a lesbian. It is no biggie any more. As for friends, especially long distance ones, they all found out through facebook. Lol. I, like you, post all sorts of stuff LGBT. If they want to know anything, they'll ask. Try not to be too hard on yourself. When your coming out is a well known thing, it will fade into the background of who you are.

12. calgary

Hey JNR

A very interesting topic that I can relate to. When I was/am in the closet I always dreaded the question about my personal life. i.e. are you seeing anyone, how are you feeling etc. Now that I'm out to some, like you said, I would like someone to ask how it's going. I agree with what people are saying here that it takes time, I think. I'm lucky and one of my friend/coworker is really good. When we go out for lunch she asks "what was it like growing up in a small town as gay" etc. when we are talking about high school. Not making it the main topic but acknowledging it as well.

I agree with everyone else that it is up to us to make it easier for others. I really just think they don't know what to say so they say nothing. I know for myself years of avoiding topics makes it a tough habit to break. My manager has began to laugh at me because Monday when she asks what I did the answer always is "Nothing to much, just took it easy". I think just being more honest and talking about guys or gay events you went to in the conversation instead of making it the topic of the conversation will be key in showing friends/family that is okay to discuss and talk about and not make anyone too uncomfortable.

13. skiff

skiff Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Hi,

Keep in mind the average straight person only knows the exaggerated stereotypes depicted in the media real and fictional. They have no clue you are exactly like them. Only you can tear down the wall and eliminate their confusion.

Tom

14. jnr183

Calgary- I think that's exactly what I'd like- someone to ask those questions... about what it was like then and how I got to where I am now.

Skiff- I do think they are getting used to the idea that I am the same me and that the qualities that brought us together haven't changed. Really I think a lot of it is more me than them, but because I don't see them all on a regular basis, it is harder for this new chapter in these friendships to develop. Again, they might not even view it as a new chapter.... but for me it sure is!