1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Seen the doctor today

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by Richie., Jul 18, 2014.

1. Richie.

I've been having suicidal thoughts for the last few weeks, it's all to much, I haven't slept for six months properly, I'm not eating properly. And I can't seem to handle all these emotions.
    On top of that my wife is bitterly hurt and snapping at me whenever she sees fit.
    I told my doc my story and he seemed quite shocked with me being married and gay. But he gave me some anti depressants and some sleeping pills to help for adjust.

I'm telling you because you were all worried about me. I'm not giving up, I'm fighting for the life I want, but I'm exhausted.

Peace

2. Jim1454

Hi Richie. You're where I was 7 and a half years ago. And the antidepressants were key to helping me through that very difficult time. I don't think I could have managed otherwise, and I'm afraid of what I might have done to myself.

I'm struggling with depression again right now - and when I find the might medication, I plan to stay on it - and think more than twice about coming off it again. The fact is I think I've been depressed my whole life.

My point is - I understand how exhausted you can feel. I know how hard it is to keep moving forward. I know how you feel like you've been a disappointment to everyone in your life. But it gets better.

I'm VERY glad that you've brought your doctor into the situation. Sure - everyone is likely to be surprised that you identify as gay, given you've been married. But by hanging out here, you know that it's not that uncommon. And there's nothing wrong with it, and it's nothing to be ashamed of.

Don't give up. I won't either. We're all in this together.

3. Choirboy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Very relieved that you've taken some positive steps, Richie. We're all in your corner. Don't ever forget that!

4. Rose27

Rose27 Guest

Ritchie- Proud of you for having the courage to get help!

(&&&)(&&&)(&&&)(&&&)(&&&)

5. paris

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    (*hug*)

6. kyfry

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Im glad you are getting help. Im going through the same stuff right now. Depression, Anxiety, horrible sleeping, horrible eating and suicidal thoughts. Its rough I know but I know we can both get through this.

7. Weston

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Not sure how much flexibility you have, but if I were you, I would look for a gay doctor (or at least a more sympathetic one). No doctor in this day and age should be "shocked" that a man might be gay and married.

8. bingostring

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    A big thing you can do for yourself is to get your sleep under control. Poor sleep sure makes everything feel that much worse.

Try not to sleep or nap in the day ... So that the night sleep is deep and unbroken
    Do some research on "sleep hygiene"

9. HTBO

The important thing is you recognized you needed help and sought it out. The fight is exhausting and sometimes you need to step back and breathe. Stay strong :slight_smile:

10. Keep yer chin up, man.

When I went to my doc's & mentioned I'd recently come out to my parents as gay, she just replied; "Why?"

I was like; "Because I couldn't lie any more"

Then silence.

Pretty unprofessional if you ask me!

11. Hyaline

(high fives) Baby steps forward.... Each day even if you inch forward, is still forward progress..

12. Yossarian

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hang in there Ritchie; get the medication you need to get the sleep you need, and anti-depressants if that helps. Also remember that Ghandi and Martin Luther King succeeded by passive resistance, letting their opponents exhaust themselves expending anger and aggression. Be strong, be confident in yourself, and do not engage the enemy when it does not benefit you to confront. Most of all forget about that suicide crap; you will come through this to a happy ending and be rid of the person in your life who is causing this grief, then find someone who will make you happy instead.

13. SaleGayGuy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hi Richie

I’m so relieved that you have found the courage to seek help with your depression and get some tablets to help give you a breathing space whilst you get your situation more stable so you can enjoy a brighter future living a life you want as you whilst still being a great dad to your kids.

All the best

Sale Gay Guy (*hug*)

14. Gaysibling

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well done. It can be really difficult to ask for help, and depression often robs people of the energy needed to look for a way ahead. About four years ago, for reasons not directly related to my sexuality, I went through a depressive episode lasting several months where I really did not want to carry on. I am so glad I made it through that period in no small part thanks to therapy and lots of love and support from friends. I hope the medications are helpful and that things start to improve for you.

15. Molly1977

Hi Richie, big hugs. Hope you are ok.

Love Molly x

16. skiff

skiff Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Hi,

I have a very dear friend and I love him deeply. About a decade before we met he attempted suicide and was within a hair of being successful. I cry every time I think about it as I cannot imagine never meeting him or how much I would be denied not having him in my life now. He is my best friend.

He is very happy now and and a anti-suicide activist.

What seems overwhelming today can and does change. Simply know that.

Tom

17. marriedover50

Richie,

That is good news and a good step. Are you still doing some talk therapy too? Sounds like you need some good local support in addition to us here. I am sorry that life has gotten so hard. I fear this too. Hang in there and keeping pushing forward.

You are part of this family.

Josh

18. Calamus1960

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Never give up, Ritchie....

19. BeingEarnest

My thoughts and prayers are with you Richie.
    It is so important, especially when depressed, to take care of your body. There is a lot you cannot control, but you can eat healthy, get exercise, get whatever sleep you are able, and talk to people. find a compassionate person who can listen. They don't have to solve your problems, but listening has its own healing power. You can also focus on things you are grateful for.

20. PatrickUK

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well done Richie. You've been caught up in a bit of a vicious circle - lack of sleep lowers your mood and resistance and gives depression a chance to take hold.

By seeing your Doc, you've taken a positive step. The sleeping tablets will help you get some rest and the anti-depressants will hopefully help to stabilise things for you - they're not 'happy pills' like some people say and they sometimes take a bit of time to start working, so don't give up if you have a bad day, but do keep talking/venting if it gets too much. The very worst thing you can do is to bottle it all up and let the volcano bubble away Richie.

There are lots of people on here (me included) who are with you and want the best for you. If it feels like a pile of shit and you get these difficult or dark thoughts tell us. We aint giving up on you

(&&&)