1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Friend possibly Ftm

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by AllenL, Jul 18, 2014.

1. AllenL

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Okay, I was okay friends with this girl (we'll call her Kim,) and she had recently posted a video of an upcoming transgender Ftm film. She already dresses like a guy (sometimes, from what I know, she moved.) she is an open lesbian, and she already knows a ton about the LGBT (her FB posts are usually to that topic.) I don't know, should it be weird if I asked. I really would love to not be alone on this, but I don't know if she is or not, plus she move like a year or two ago and we haven't really talked.
    If I do ask how do I do it? Should I...
    1) drop a hint or say like "Ftm?" in chat or something that could be interpredted as nonsence?
    2) straight up ask
    3) other suggestions

#1 AllenL, Jul 18, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 18, 2014
  2. I am usually all about "if you don't know, just ask!" but in this case what if this friend of yours is trans and maybe isn't ready to talk about it yet. On the other hand, she could just be promoting something to do with LGBT people, which you say she knows a lot about.

Only you know this friend, so really you'll probably know better than any of us what to do or say, but you could express an interest in trans stuff, mentioning you saw her post, to her and see what she says about it. She sounds like she's interested and cool about trans stuff and regardless of her own gender identity might be a really good resource or confidant for you. You can kind of sound out the situation and see if you're feeling comfortable enough to talk about your own experiences with her.

3. scibionerd

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Just say the film sounds interesting, and ask how she heard about it. That can open up the topic of her interest in gender identity, meaning is she an ally, is her significant other trans, or is she considering transitioning.

4. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    You could always show interest in the topic and see what happens then. Another option to is to ask what their preferred pronouns are, since even asking that question would show that you are accepting. You just don't want to seem forceful.