1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Freaked out! (sexuality/gender identity/health issue... 3-in-1)

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by paris, Jul 23, 2014.

1. paris

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I went to a doctor appointment yesterday. At first there was just a young female intern in the room who I had a very nice talk with. The senior doctor explained me the examination results then and it turned out I'll need a laparoscopic surgery for hernia done one day. He proposed to keep monitoring my condition and postpone the surgery for now.
    His main concern is that I'm still fertile and once the surgery is done eventual pregnancy would cause more damage. In short, surgery = no kids. I'm fine with that but here's where the real story begins.

I wanted to explain that there's no reason to wait because 1) I don't want kids and 2) I'm gay but I just couldn't say it. I got instantly nervous and somewhat panicked. I have a small rainbow button on my backpack so I nervously pointed it out to the intern to see but she seemed not to be familiar with the meaning. I then said something what the doctor understood like I want her to leave. When she was gone I told the doc that I'm sorry but it's a topic for me hard to talk about; I wasn't able to say I was gay but in the end I at least told him that considering my sexual orientation the chance of getting pregnant is 0.000. He answered that there are still ways, like AI.
    I know that's true but the thing is that even though I could get physically pregnant I couldn't take it mentally. I wrote it once, I've always felt like I should've been born with a penis and realized that I'd want my own kids if I could get a woman pregnant as a man, not to carry them. I kept silent though and agreed to his proposal.

The whole appointment was very emotional and I was close to tears when leaving the clinic. The good thing is that the doctor was very accepting of me being gay and said sexuality is a personal matter, that he does understand that.
    I was surprised by my reaction though because I thought I'm more comfortable about being gay already but it turned out I'm probably not. I think part of me felt somewhat ashamed and part of me worried he could be homophobic and treat me differently than any other patient. Ugh.
    I probably just need to hear that things will get better...

2. Rose27

Rose27 Guest

Paris- things will get better. :slight_smile: (*hug*)

3. TheStormInside

It'll get better, Paris :slight_smile: .

I understand, regarding the difficulty saying it. I had the perfect opportunity to say to my therapist "I think I'm gay" as we discussed my sexuality yesterday (she knows I'm "questioning") but I just couldn't do it and ended up talking around it, and I don't think the point got across.

For some reason it's really hard. I think with time you will grow more comfortable, and it's good for now that at least your doctor understands what you were trying to convey.

4. Rose27

Rose27 Guest

You don't have to figure out everything all at once. Fully accepting being gay and being out got me thinking about gender roles and identity. I was always a "tomboy". I relate better to guys. I loved being pregnant. I like all my body parts but I have days I feel more masculine than feminine. So I've decided I am who I am. People have to accept that or I don't want them in my life. It was very freeing emotionally. We are all an endless work in progress and I think that's healthy.

5. azure au

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Paris that was an awful lot to deal with at once. it's fortunate you don't have to decide right away. Give yourself some time to think it through. I am glad your doctor reacted positively.

6. girlpower

Hey! first all.. dont worry you just will be fine. Hernia surgery has become more and more common these days. And you dont have to be ashamed of yourself at all.. its good that your shared with the doctor, and i think you can wait.. if he says you should wait for sometime for the surgery.. even if he is saying for the sake of pregnancy. Take the medication he would have prescribed... and over a perioud of time when you are more comfortable with yourself you can try discussing it with your Doctor again and see if he suggest surgery.

7. paris

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Thank you, everyone. I think that part of the problem why it's hard for me to speak about it is also the fact that I haven't told it to people I care about the most - my bf and my mom. It feels unfair that a complete stranger would've known that about me but they wouldn't.
    On the other hand I do feel stressed by setting a date for having that talk with my bf (before August 16) and I'm not quite sure if it was a good idea. I know that coming out to my bf is for the best (I've been carrying too large a burden because of that) but I worry about being unprepared, react with fear and possibly panic. :icon_sad:

#7 paris, Jul 24, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 24, 2014
  8. Really

Quick thought... Does your bf want children? What if you told him because if this procedure, on top of previous musing on the topic, you've decided you don't want kids. He might start to think twice about staying with you for this reason. (Man, this is terrible). Just wondering if the seed was planted, he might decide to break up with you.
    (Wow. This really is quite bad all round - sorry.)