1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Finally went to a gay venue.

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by Damien, Jul 26, 2014.

1. Damien

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I was finally freed up in terms of (ex) family obligations, and could go out on Saturday night. The place I chose is pretty famous in my city, and when I entered into the awesomely large and well-decked out dance area, there were these professional dancers on a stage at the front, doing their stuff - they were so good! The ways in which they moved...This, along with the laser lights shooting across a sort of hazy atmosphere, combined with a sea of folks dancing and otherwise making merry, made me feel like I'd just stepped into 'gay heaven'.

Anyway, as a 'new kid' who knew no-one, I determined that tonight was just going to be about dancing, I mean even back in my 'straight days' I wasn't the sort of person who would just meet a total stranger, and then 20 minutes later be shagging the hell out of them. I like to get to know someone a bit. So, I just tried not to stand out too much, found a spot where I was kind of near others who also seemed to be in it 'just for the joy of dancing', and just relaxed and got into the feel of it. I had a lot of fun, and I must admit that in general, I would say this venue was friendlier than any straight venue I have ever been to (not that I ever went to too many of those either, but I'm just saying). Anyway, I did notice I got checked out quite a few times (of course I was doing the same thing myself), and I suspect that a few times, there were some folks who wanted to sort of dance with me, but gosh I was too shy to assume that was the case, afraid on a visceral level that I might be mistaken, so I just assumed that them coming into closer proximity to me while dancing was just, some kind of coincidence. I really need to work on my confidence, I think.

Anyway all in all a very fun night. I can't wait to go back, will go much earlier this time so I can dance for longer...didn't want to stop. Oh and I had better mention how cute the bartenders were. Oh my friggin GOD. I think they hire them on purpose like that. Probably increases sales of alcohol. When I got tipsy I wanted to tell one of them how beautiful he was, but luckily I didn't. But a little more drunk and I probably would have.

I think that coming with a friend or a group of friends would be much more fun and enjoyable, but even going alone was more fun than I've had in ages. I think the more I go, the more comfortable I will get with the notion that maybe one or two of the folks who checked me out really did find me attractive, although as I said I have a lot of confidence building to do before I can meet someone's eyes in that moment.

I think I have spent too many years trying to be too 'good', not drinking a drop of alcohol, not letting loose enough. While I have no intention of becoming either loose in my morals, or of becoming one who drinks to excess, still, I think that once a week a bit of uninhibited revelry is just what this soul has been missing and it's going to do me some good. I need to just have some fun for a change. The halo can with till the next life.

2. sagebrush

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Your story made me smile. Glad you had a wonderful evening! :slight_smile:

3. Damien

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Thank you :slight_smile:

4. AKTodd

Congratulations!

I haven't been to a lot of gay bars in my time, but a lot of the ones I've seen (and definitely certain types) seem likely to be making a point of hiring hot bartenders (bearing in mind that definitions of 'hot' can vary with the venue and customer base).

Going with friends can definitely add to the fun, especially in the confidence department. There's just something about having people you know around that helps. Not to mention it gives you someone to turn to and share the experience with when a totally hot guy walks/dances by and you check him out. Or get checked out by him.

Glad you had such a nice time:thumbsup:

Have fun!

Todd

5. OGS

OGS

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Good for you! I'm glad you had a good time!

6. Damien

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    They had bears guarding the doors, and twinks pouring the drinks. It was fun to see some of the archetypal character types of the gay world, even if, as I've been told, it's unlikely I will find the love of my life in this way. I'm aware that it's basically just some good fun - but nothing wrong with that, I've decided.

aww thank youuu...:slight_smile:

You just reminded me, that there was a straight girl - ironically we ended up speaking, because like her I was annoyed that the music had stopped (she actually kept dancing with no sound at all for a while, in a sort of 'defiance of closing time'). Anyway she told me she was out with friends of hers, and I thought "well even if I don't have any gay friends as yet, a straight girl might want to come along...possibly for the opportunity of being able to dance and essentially be left alone by guys for the entire night..." :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

---------- Post added 27th Jul 2014 at 01:03 PM ----------

aww thanks...yea it was fun. :slight_smile:

7. Acm

Acm Guest

Glad you had fun :slight_smile:

8. looking for me

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Glad you had a great time man. not into the club scene and there ain't no one who wants to see this body get it's groove on:eek::roflmao: but sure happy that you found an outlet. i hope to get out in the greater community here some time soon.

9. Damien

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Aww thank you *blows kiss* :slight_smile:

---------- Post added 27th Jul 2014 at 01:50 PM ----------

I'm not the world's most attractive guy. But what I have decided is to stop sabotaging myself by assuming that just because I have such terrible self-doubt, that everyone else sees me in the same way. In my experience: do I get less attention that better looking folks? Yes, of course I do. But that doesn't mean I get no attention. I'm just saying, that you just don't know when someone is going to find you attractive in real life. Looking back over my quite limited love life, I would say that despite my unusual appearance, most of my lovers - and the guys who made 'offers' back when I was straight, which I spurned at the time - were all better looking than me (or is that just a subjective value judgement on my part??). And yet there was something about me that appealed to them! So how can you assume that no-one would want to see your body 'get it's groove on'? I'm sorry but you just don't know that for sure...

Damien :slight_smile:

#9 Damien, Jul 26, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 26, 2014
  10. looking for me

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Actually, i was referring to the fact that i have the dancing ability of a rock:lol: i don't get much attention but i did get checked out by some ladies at Pride last week and even had a guy hit on me, the ego boost was great but the guy really didn't do anything for me, not to mention that he was just a little older than my son.:eek:

11. TheStormInside

Yay, go Damien! :eusa_danc

12. likethewind

likethewind Guest

Good for you for taking a chance, Damien. Glad you enjoyed yourself...

13. Tudor

Sounds like you had an awesome night Damien...good on you for getting out there and just having fun :slight_smile:

14. MilansMele

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone

YES!!!!!
    I wish I could put your words up in a banner advert on this site for all to see!!!

You really get it!

Keep on keepin on!!!

~Milan

15. Damien

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Ah, I see, you are lucky then, because dancing ability is easily improved...in my case, I would not have been able to do it without the gin and tonic, although next time I'm stopping at one or two. I've gotten this sort of 'delayed hangover' I always get. Next time, just one or two drinks to loosen away the inhibitions, and only water from then on.

---------- Post added 28th Jul 2014 at 10:13 AM ----------

To Storm, likethewind and Tudor, thanks for your encouragement, I will keep putting myself out there, once a week I've decided. Dancing is a healthy and safe activity, after all. :slight_smile:

---------- Post added 28th Jul 2014 at 10:28 AM ----------

Thank you. If I could end this topic with one statement, it is that if I, Damien, with literally years and years of being inhibited and afraid of others' judgements, can learn this, so can anyone else who suffers from insecurity regarding their looks. Basically: we all come blessed with a certain level of 'good looks', or not, ok fair enough. But even so, this can still be a very subjective thing and can end up being tainted by our own harsh perceptions of ourselves, zeroing in on our 'flaws' without seeing our attractive points. So no one ought to go out *assuming* that
    'no-one will ever find me attractive' because as I said, we can't control that. The reality is, some will, and some won't; that's how it is. It takes a bit of resilience to test it all out, but I've decided it's worth developing this resilience. If one person I'm drawn to doesn't like me, fine, I will move on and keep trying till I succeed. This kind of resilience, I've never had it, it's new to me, but I'm not getting any younger, I want to find someone with whom I can really connect; as far as I know I've just got this one life to live; and I want to be more easygoing about meeting people in general, and less worried about 'rejection'. If we get rejected, we can just move on.

I can hardly believe I am saying this, but I do believe it to be true, and a healthier attitude that the fear of taking risks, that i have dwelt in for so many years. And if I can do it, so can anyone else who feels insecure about their looks (from what I have read on ec I'm not the only one).

---------- Post added 28th Jul 2014 at 10:31 AM ----------

And finally: while the gay venue was a lot of fun, I am actually more excited about the 'gay meetup group' I've just joined, because really I've got more chance of meeting someone with similar interests etc there, than in a club, I mean we all know that...

16. looking for me

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    just saw your update, good going. your getting out there by leaps and bounds.:thumbsup:

By the way, there is a picture of me in my shoes and stuff album on my profile. i'll let others judge if i pass muster:roflmao: seriously i am happy for you.

17. CyclingFan

Glad that you had a good time!

Perhaps I'll feel a little more freed up and I can do this myself in the near future. :slight_smile:

18. MilansMele

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Beautiful!

This is such a wonderful thread!

Thank you, Damien, for all of your sharing.

19. Molly1977

This really made me smile, so glad you had a nice evening xxxxx

20. Damien

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Thank you :slight_smile: and despite my shyness :icon_redf I will say I liked the pics of you and your lovely shoes you evidently have good taste...:thumbsup:

---------- Post added 30th Jul 2014 at 06:05 AM ----------

Thank you, and as I said, if I can do it anyone can...seriously I feel as though my shadow, the helpful aspect of it I mean, just came in and said "right, enough of all your fear, enough of hiding yourself under a rock, it's not such a big deal to just dance, people do it every day, so f* it what anyone thinks and who cares anyway?" Hope it lasts but as long as it does I'm going with it.

#20 Damien, Jul 29, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 29, 2014