1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Been so depressed for so long, what do I do with very good news?

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by quietman702, Aug 2, 2014.

1. quietman702

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I've been depressed for most of life (even as a child) which sucks!

With that in mind, let me share some great news that I received on Thursday. Here's some backstory. I filed for US Social Security Disability back in March of this year. For those of you not from the US this can be a daunting and overwhelming process as it can take years to get approved.

The call that I got was a very kind lady from the local Social Security office telling me that I was approved. FREAKING WOW approved?! I'm still in shock... to be approved and to get a personal call from Social Security, amazing. Then the depression kicked in. I should be over the moon excited but I'm not right now. Work was a big social outlet but I never have to go to work again, so now what do I do, as I'm only 58.

I was in panic mode most of Thursday and Friday and was on my wife's last good nerve until she "kindly" said "What the hell is going on with you? You deserve it, you went to work for years when it was so hard to do so." When I woke up this morning she reminded me of that and said "You deserve to go out and have some fun". Who am I to argue?

Can someone tell me why I feel so crappy about all this... finally realizing a dream of being able to afford to live and have fun. Please tell me I'm not alone. Any suggestions for my newfound free time? :goodevil:

Here are my emotions at the moment...
    :dry: :confused: (!) :eek: :eusa_danc :tantrum: :help: :tears: :***:

2. HTBO

First of all, congratulations. I think it's natural to feel depressed even though you received the news you wanted. It signals the end of a big part of your life (working) and you are now saying good-bye to it and beginning a new phase. I have worked with many who have retired and even though they were happy, they also grieved for that part of their life that was being left behind.
    What to do now? Anything you want :slight_smile: I don't have any suggestions because I don't know you and what you like to do. Is there anything you've always wanted to do but never had the time, or something that you wanted to try but unsure of? This would be a good time to start.
    You will find your way, it's kind of like a new beginning. Discover who you are, and most importantly, enjoy!

3. I don't know much about getting on disability, but congrats about that. Sounds like it's been a long time coming and that not having to work could be good for you, even if it's hard right now.

I do know some about depression however, even good stuff was so stressful for me, especially big life changes. Transitional periods of life are ones I still struggle with, even though my depression is pretty much gone. It's tough for me to figure out what I'm going to do and even if I'm excited about new prospects, I get overwhelmed and then I get moody. Maybe that could be why your emotions are all over the place?

IF that is the case, the way I usually handle it is by providing for myself some kind of structure or schedule. Work provides a structure for day-to-day living, and when that's not happening anymore it can feel like a collapse instead of a new lease on life. So, instead of bumming out about it, I think about a couple things I might want to do. For me this would be like: read the first book on my booklist, clean out the pantry, take a walk to get my coffee, visit an old friend, call my mom, see that movie everyone is talking about etc. And then I do those things on a schedule to provide some framework for myself and pretty soon I feel better. I accomplish a few small things and that makes me feel good and productive, but also more relaxed because I don't have the big wide open space of unstructured time, I just have smaller chunks of it to decide what to do with as I please.

If it's more of a social problem of 'who do I do all these things with?', then you could try and get involved in volunteering or in local groups for whatever you're interested in. Or get together with your old coworkers off the clock for something fun!

Good luck, and congrats again on your acceptance into SS disability.

4. Really

I suspect it's much like any retirement blues. Lots if people get them. I would take some classes at a your local community centre or continuing Ed. Challenging your mind always brightens things up. For me, anyway.

Just spit-balling here:

Life drawing (added bonus = models, possibly nude)
    Music appreciation
    Tai chi
    Cooking
    New language
    Bridge
    Origami

5. Gaysibling

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Any big change in life, even one 'for the better' can feel threatening, particularly for those of us who feel emotionally vulnerable at the best of times. A lot of people forget how much of their day to day human interaction can be based around their employment, and the thought of having to replace that can be scary. I think you have sensed that this is a potential fork in the road. Without trying to bring you down, yes, there is a possibility that this could leave you feeling more isolated.... but the good news is that you seem to be aware of that and have worked out that it isn't what you want. A friend of mine who turned 81 earlier this year , has been retired for twenty years. He said the first few months were very difficult for him, however, over the years he has become busier than he ever was when employed. He has been part of a local choir for many years now, he does volunteer telephone based counselling, finds free lectures or performances, packs condoms once a week with the local HIV/AIDS organisation.... and still finds time to visit our local sauna from time to time. Oh yes, he has also taken up tai chi and yoga in spite of having had a stroke a few years ago. I'm not saying you should sign up for any or all of the above.... everyone is different and besides, some of those options may not be available for you, but life after employment doesn't have to be isolated ( though I recognise that starting new things and meeting new people can be daunting). Also, please note he did not start all of the above on day one of his post employment life.....that would've been exhausting! I'm not big on giving advice, so please think of this as a series of ideas you may or may not find interesting to consider while you seek your own solutions. Good luck for the road ahead.

6. quietman702

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Thanks to each of you for your encouragement and great ideas. I will consider each one. Who knew when I got a Phoenix tattoo on my back a few years back that it's mean would be so profound.

(&&&)

7. Richie.

I suppose it's like Christmas Day or any other big day. The anticipation is normally bigger than the event. I presume you've anticipated such a call and analysed how you may feel.

The reality is how ever you feel about it is fine, it's not good or bad to be happy sad frustrated or what. Just go with it and don't be hard on yourself for whatever the scenario.

Happy you got the disability I'm not from the states so don't know the inns and outs of it all, but great for you.

Be kind to yourself.

Peace

8. quietman702

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Thanks Richie for the sound advice. I'm learning to be kind to myself. :thumbsup:

9. quietman702

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    UPDATE... Re: Been so depressed for so long, what do I do with very good news?

Hello EC Friends. I want to report that something really cool happened. I just realized that I've gone a few weeks without thinking about suicide. (!) Even in light of the following recent diagnosis. It's pretty much official I have Lupus and start medicine for it today. The next step is figuring out which type(s) of Lupus I have. I didn't realize that there are numerous types and severities. Also don't know if this is related to my kidney issues.

I WILL SURVIVE!!!

10. CyclingFan

Re: UPDATE... Re: Been so depressed for so long, what do I do with very good news?

That's really good news about the suicidality!

Also, figuring out the cause, even when it's a rough diagnosis is very helpful in knowing what you are in for. And getting proper treatment. I know a few people who have lupus, and once they were able to get on a proper treatment/management path they've had a very good quality of life.

Best wishes.

11. sagebrush

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thanks for sharing the good news, quietman. I am always encouraged by the positivity in your messages.

12. Damien

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Do you live near the beach? I find that just sitting on the shore, looking out to the sea, especially as the sun is setting, and listening to the waves as they crash on the shore, gets me into a very peaceful and reflective mood, and can help me get some perspective on my life.

13. quietman702

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I wish I did live near the beach. I do live a mile from the Ohio River, there is a peace to it to. Great idea!!