1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anyone else achingly lonely?

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by Damien, Aug 5, 2014.

1. Damien

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Is anyone else here achingly lonely? I feel it so much it hurts right now. I've had enough of my isolation. I will admit that I imposed it on myself, for many years I wanted to avoid the 'trouble' of intimate relationships. But now I feel more brave again, I'm willing to give, to risk, to make a connection with another human being and share some of life's journey with them, as a lover and a friend. But nothing has happened as yet. I worry sometimes that maybe, being in mid-life, that it might be too late for me?

I feel like an idiot. I thought I was above this kind of sentiment. I wanted to make myself not need anyone in my life, to be an independent sort of person who could happily spend life alone if need be. Just meditate all my troubles away. But it turns out I am just an ordinary human being after all. I didn't transcend my humanity. I didn't attain any special state or enlightenment that would enable me to be content with a simple life, living alone. Instead, I long so much now for a lover and friend. I feel stupid for wanting this, weak, vulnerable, and foolish. Just an ordinary human being with ordinary human longings, after all.

---------- Post added 5th Aug 2014 at 08:42 PM ----------

But I know deep down that we don't transcend our humanity by trying to avoid it. We must pass through the full breath and depth of it, and that includes the breath and depth of both the pains and joys of being human. But to have to feel all of that, for some is difficult. And yet at the same time, I long for it.

2. wanderinggirl

Loneliness is a basic human emotion, you shouldn't feel stupid for feeling this way. Companionship is up there with food and drink and sleep in terms of basic needs. If you didn't have those needs, that would make you a sociopath. Some people are more independent than others, but even Alexander Supertramp in the end wanted the companionship he had shunned his whole life. I am currently sitting on the bathroom floor with a case of food poisoning waiting for the next wave of nausea to take hold, and all I want is for someone to sit with me and rub my back til it passes. Companionship is so important.

It's wonderful that you're finally willing to give, that you are in a place where you could have a meaningful relationship with someone else, where you could be a good partner. That's a good thing!

How to deal with this loneliness? Start doing things. Anythings. Take on some projects, go on a trip, do something you love. Stop sitting in one place wondering where everyone else is. The more you focus on other goals, the happier you'll be, and if you open yourself up to love at the same time and take opportunities to meet and connect with people, you'll do just fine.

3. Molly1977

A lot of people here feel lonely, it is important to be with people you can connect with and who you can be yourself with. I think sometimes when gay people are isolated from other gay people it can be especially difficult because even if you are physically with other people, friends work colleagues etc, if they don't understand your situation it can be very difficult to really get to know them.

I have always said that one of the most important things is for gay people to be around other gay people. Even if it isn't for a relationship but just for having friends who are the same as you.

I went out to an lgbt meetup dinner last night and I felt so much more relaxed around the people there than if I had been with a group of straight people. I found it so much easier to talk to other people who are gay.

Do you have any gay friends that you can just go out for a coffee with?

If not have you tried starting a meetup group online as there could be other gay people who are just as lonely as you but who don't know that you are out there waiting to meet them.

4. Budweiser

I just posted about this very thing. I'm wondering why lonely people have to struggle so much and why we can't just find each other =/

5. Choirboy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think someone could be a major hero by finding a way to pair up quiet, introverted people with each other for conversation, friendship or even love. Years in the closet can make a person so isolated and withdrawn, and a lot of times we put ourselves there in the first place because we ALREADY felt like we didn't feel like we fit in. So coming out is double hard.

All I can say is, be patient and don't stop trying. EC (and the rest of the world for that matter) is full of lonely people aching to be discovered. Sometimes you have to bare your soul a little more than you're comfortable with, and take a chance that you're very much afraid to take. But the payoff is huge and can be life-changing, and it CAN happen. I would never have believed it myself, and went for decades believing that I was too freakishly quirky to fit in anywhere. But there are billions of people in the world, and when you manage to stumble on someone who shares just enough of your freakish quirkiness, wonderful things can happen. Don't give up. Ever.

(&&&)

Introverts of the world, unite!
    (Quietly....in your own homes....lol)

6. Rainbows~Exist

All the time... I'm deprived of love and have been single for years :icon_sad:

7. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    In reading Joe Kort's book: 10 Smart Things Gay Men Can Do to Find Real Love, an interesting insight he shares is that we all grew up, being gay (whether we "knew" it or not), imprinted with a feeling of differentness, of not fitting in. As CB indicated above, this has led to wariness and isolation.

Hetero guys are given permission to join their club, horsing around, forming groups of like-minded guys (ogling at girls, etc.), whereas gay boys were never socially sanctioned to do so. We were socially conditioned not to associate with "our" kind. We were encouraged to flee each other, we had no role models, no mentors to guide us through this "dark forest".

This sense of belonging, of being comfortable with those who are like us is crucial in forming relationships. Yes, we are few, and yet relationships and friendships happen, but they will happen only if we are comfortable enough to be vulnerable with those who are like us. All meetings, all relationships require, first and foremost a certain degree of vulnerability, and that can only happen if we feel safe enough to let our well-honed defenses down for once.

Gay bars, circuit dances and saunas are a poor substitute for finding that sense of belonging, but for a long time that is all we had. Not to say that these places are not fun, nor to say that it is impossible to find a deeper relationship in these places (I know a gay couple who met in a bar 26 years ago and are happily married). But too often these places are like fast food, temporarily satisfying but not terribly nourishing, or healthy.

There are better places to find people now, it's not by meditating or "preparing" for it, or making yourself more attractive before you set out to meet people, you need to get out there now and be seen. The community is large and diverse and you need to be a part of it.

8. sagebrush

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Wonderfully encouraging comments, Choirboy -- thank you!

9. Damien

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    You are right, that's what I need to do. Thank you for your kindly advice.

---------- Post added 6th Aug 2014 at 10:53 AM ----------

This is such a good idea, thank you for reminding me of this. Yes, there are lgbt meetup groups in my city, but I have to overcome my inertia - my procrastination - and actually join one of them. I hope to achieve that today. I know what you mean, by the way, about wanting to hang out with lgbt folk even just for friendship - yes I long for that as well.

---------- Post added 6th Aug 2014 at 10:56 AM ----------

I've been thinking the same thing lately. All these folks posting agonizing stories of loneliness here, so many of us, why can't we all meet? Of course there are Oceans separating many of us, but not all. Some could meet up, of course that can only be arranged between full members, via pms. But for those who are full members, well maybe they ought to organize something.

---------- Post added 6th Aug 2014 at 11:01 AM ----------

Risk...is something I need to take. Thank you for your thoughtful and encouraging reply also. I felt like I had bared too much with this post. I was not expecting so many kind responses, I was expecting folks to inwardly roll their eyes, thinking "here is yet another angst-ridden post by Damien, his pain is getting irritating to listen to". Yet you are all being so kind to me, and I almost find it hard to accept. I guess that's a symptom of low self-esteem in itself.

---------- Post added 6th Aug 2014 at 11:03 AM ----------

Then I sincerely wish for you to find love, and companionship, also. I hope that we all do.

10. Damien

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I don't want to spam this Forum with new topics, so I will use this current one to disclose that, I think I really know now, that I always was this way, ie, not straight, but bi / pan. I just experienced a shift, a healing shift: I feel that I could once again be with a woman. A dream - not sexual really, all that happened was a kiss - but a dream seemed to symbolically herald something that I can now feel, that this block I've had, a sense of alienation from women, is melting away. Why I'm so emotional, is because when I realized it, I thought "well you could just go back to looking for a bio-female girlfriend now, if you wanted to." But the thing is, I don't. That side of my nature I had suppressed for so long, still longs for expression. I had to go to the store, and still, right away, I noticed this lovely looking guy, with dark hair, and and Elvis-like hairstyle, and thought "man what beautiful, hot guy". I've finally got permission to go back to bio women, the door's open again, but I'd rather be with either a guy or a trans female, because...I don't know why! I just do. Because it's like if I'd only listened to Mozart my entire life, well Mozart is wonderful but maybe now I long for Chopin. Women are wonderful, but so are guys, and I've never properly been with one, and I so much want to experience that. And the mysterious transwoman I briefly saw, she has been on my mind every single day since I encountered her. Once again I don't even know how to explain, and maybe I don't need to.

I've never belonged or fitted in anywhere. Even in my Uni days, when by far I had the most opportunities for both sex and friendship, even then I was always just a little bit on the outside, and never in the centre of things. Being on the outside, the fringe, of society in general, has been a constant through my entire life.

I know, and thank you for giving me a little push in that direction. I will call up the gay / lesbian choir again too, I'm surprised they never returned my call, but will assume they lost my message, rather than what I have been assuming - that they heard my voice and decided that they didn't like me just based on that (yes, that's how emotional and over-sensitive I've been lately). Thank you for your helpful reply, and sorry to all for my essay-like reply here. I know it's long.

11. likethewind

likethewind Guest

Hi Damien,

Add me to the "action is the key" chorus here. I'm a pretty skeptical person, but I know sitting still will get me nowhere. So I try different things — some work, some disappoint. But I guess my strength is that I keep looking — if I don't like one door, I try another. I pray you will push yourself to do the same.

I will keep you in my good thoughts...

12. Richie.

I'm lonely at times it feels like physical pain. It hurts so much.

I recommened you read a book called how to connect with anyone. By http://www.amazon.co.uk/Leil-Lowndes/e/B000APOPHO/ref=ntt_athr_dp_pel_1

I didn't pay for my version I used a less legit method of downloading it. But it kinda changes the way you talk to people and I have noticed differences in my relationships. It even helped me get a job.

I recommend it to everyone

13. RAdam

Yup very lonely

14. Choirboy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Don't ever be afraid to bare your soul here, Damien, and your thoughts are a good read. I read a saying this morning that said ""When you fall for someone's personality, everything about them becomes beautiful". No one can fall for your personality if you keep it hidden, and opening up here is a great place to start that. Fears and issues with self-esteem seem to be par for the course among us later in life types, and that may never completely go away, but it doesn't have to be the crippling thing it was for decades. Keep talking. We're listening.

15. skiff

skiff Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Hi,

I just sent this to a friend; "In regards to wariness and isolation... My expectations being "out" and the reason I built my closet have been met (my fears were real) now that I am out. Generally speaking society is sick, family is sick, religion is sick. However we survive and can chose not to be sick."

There is a large gay silent majority which has withdrawn due to the limelight being on the more raucous components of gay culture. I too am at a loss to find them.

I suspect the raucous flood in and drive out the silent majority as new venues are created.

There needs to be a tightly moderated gay dating venue that results in local people meeting. That is not the goal of EC but I could see a similar/modified format work for dating.

Tom

16. Really

I've actually been ruminating about this a bit. I was thinking of a way for people to meet up but not have to sign up. Just show up. (I know i haven't worked out the logistics yet) It would be something like an outing to a bowling alley (where most people would be terrible - wait, hear me out). When you got there, you'd get a self-selected, colored tag of some kind indicating your preference - let's say pink, blue, purple, (girls, boys, either) so nobody'd have to ask. Everything would be thoroughly orchestrated so there'd be basically, hopefully, no chance for awkwardness. There might have to be one extravert who could move things along a bit. Everyone would be asked to bring one joke to tell the group midway through the "tournament" and then dinner of veggie dogs and soy martinis. (ok. That last bit might be pushing it).
    The idea is it would be all about having fun being terrible at something. There might be a prize for the lowest score and worst joke.

Just my first go at this. :wink:

17. Kaiser

Kaiser Guest

I used to be, but it has gotten better. I still pine for connectivity, though.

Interestingly, one of the things that picked me up, was seeing this:

Mr. Magoo - "All Alone in the World"

Mr. Magoo seems like a pretty silly, and old, cartoon... but that song. By God, that song touched me, and it allowed me to see that others feel the same. How else could someone write such a song?

18. skiff

skiff Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Hi,

So introverted people are going to extrovert and wear a tag?

Personally, I do not want to attend a mixed LGBT event as a dating venue. I would want a group specific to my preference. It is not just me either. In my community there are two churches one is for lesbians the other for gay nmen.

Then... How do you keep out the myriad of sexual predators looking for a hookup? These people re introverts because they have little tolerance or poor social skills.

The larger gay silent population is not introverted, they hav given up and withdrawn due to raucous sterotypes they do not relate with who swamp events.

Not easy.

Tom

19. Damien

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Thank you... :slight_smile: In my case, I need to cultivate more resilience, to be prepared to not have every door opened to me, but to be ok with that; to be willing to take the risk of rejection, rather than not even make the attempt. I need that quality.

---------- Post added 7th Aug 2014 at 07:58 PM ----------

I'm not tech savvy enough to download it, so I might just have to pay for and order it...being a dummy has it's advantages in terms of doing the right thing in this case :lol: anyway thanks Richie I appreciate that, I need all the help I can get!

---------- Post added 7th Aug 2014 at 08:01 PM ----------

And clearly not alone in that...which sounds ironic but it's true. It's a pity all the lonely folks of ec can't get 'beamed' to a central location, like in Star Trek, where we could all share a few drinks and a chat.

---------- Post added 7th Aug 2014 at 08:04 PM ----------

That is so kind of you...all of you are being so. Thank you, I can feel some of the resistance I have to opening up to others melting away, the longer I stay here on ec. It's hard, of course: I've been very guarded for a long time.

---------- Post added 7th Aug 2014 at 08:09 PM ----------

I'm not saying you have to do this, but you have come up with a great idea, and maybe you are the person to instigate it?...I feel like I ought to maybe put up an ad myself, to try and connect with lgbt folk in my own neighborhood - because let's say there are 1000 in my suburb, well then probably about 5 - 10 percent are lgbt to some extent - but how to find them? You make a valid suggestion.

---------- Post added 7th Aug 2014 at 08:20 PM ----------

Your idea, and the other mentioned above by skiff, deserve a thread all of their own. I'm going to a gay venue once a week, packed with extraverts, and yes it's damn intimidating. I am only going again because I like the show they put on, plus there's this person I have a feeling might like me, I can't know for sure unless I show up again...and get the courage to say something this time, if they come into close proximity (I like their energy, something about this person has gotten to me...) But yeah, the venue is a tough place for an introvert like me. We do need something else.

20. Damien

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Yes that's true with many works of art, however exalted or humble; they are often born out of some kind of trouble or pain.