1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Could gay men go extinct?

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by Spaceman, Aug 6, 2014.

1. Spaceman

I just read one of the best articles I’ve yet to see exploring the mystery of why homosexuality exists in nature:

The Evolutionary Mystery of Homosexuality - The Chronicle Review - The Chronicle of Higher Education

One of the theories is that gay men, freed from the responsibility of raising their own kids, help nurture the children of their female relatives. The result being that those children have both a greater likelihood of survival and a greater chance of carrying the family’s homosexual genes (assuming gay genes exist, which as of yet is unproven).

The thing is that this effect is observed in pre-industrial societies, not so much in modern times. In which case, it stands to reason that the evolutionary advantage of having gay men in the family will fade and could eventually disappear. And just as we were making so much progress ;-)

Of course, this is all just theory and the origins of homosexuality remain unknown. But it’s interesting food for thought.

2. Budweiser

Until there is further evidence, all we can do is speculate.

Aren't a lot in the LGBT community offended by the thought of research on them? Since they don't want to be labeled mentally disabled or sick (for the record, I don't think that would happen)

3. looking for me

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    eventually the human race will go extinct. it is the way of the universe. till then i intend to live, love and continue looking for me......

4. Filip

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Mind you, that is only one of the theories. Another is that genes producing homosexuality in men, provide a reproductive advantage in women. Which isn't exactly something that would just be weeded out of the population that easily.

In any case... when things of 4000 generations are listed, we're looking at timeframes stretching from ancient Egypt until now. So I'm fairly sure we'll be around for a bit. Time enough to fulfill the gay agenda and become the dominant species on earth :icon_wink

5. YaraNunchuck

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    The categories of 'homosexuals' and 'heterosexuals' are recent social constructions :wink:

6. HTBO

I don't think the LGBT community would be offended at the thought of being researched. It's not something new, it's been done for years. We've already been labeled mentally disabled and sick before. The LGBT community has been criminalized, medicalized, normalized, throughout history. How we are perceived is culturally and historically relative. Even now, depending on the part of the world you live in or sometimes which part of your country determines how others perceive you. Even if members of the community were offended, I don't think that would matter to the researchers. If they can determine the difference between homosexuality and heterosexuality they would be very famous and the thought of offending someone would not be their concern.

Homosexuality is not something new, it has been around for a very long time and has not always been perceived as a problem, some instances in history have shown that it was normal and acceptable behavior. YaraNunchuck has pointed out that these terms are recent social constructions; I think that the social construction of what is known as homosexuality began in the 19th century. The practice of homosexuality, however, is far from recent but when groups are categorized, then problems begin and they are seen as deviant. Until the day comes when there is universal acceptance that we are as normal as heterosexuals, we will always be subjects of research, it's how the world works.

7. Damien

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I wonder if the researchers were gay or straight themselves, and what their hidden agenda might have been when they were undertaking the research. There could be some 'observer bias' going on here.

---------- Post added 10th Aug 2014 at 11:11 AM ----------

I think research needs to be done on straight folks, and why they are often so homophobic. Is it genetic, or cultural? Maybe there's a gene somewhere, that makes some of them unable to ever just accept that we lgbt folk are here to stay, always have been and always will be, and not only are we 'ok' but we're darn glorious for being who we are.

#7 Damien, Aug 9, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 9, 2014
  8. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I don't know. I think that a more or less consistent percentage of the population will be LGBT. Aside from LGBT people who can now adopt or have children through surrogates, I'd venture that most, especially men, want nothing to do with kids and would rather enjoy a lifestyle with more disposable income and more free time, and that even includes those with a demanding career. People with money and no children who work real hard tend to play real hard.

9. Damien

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    The hint of sarcasm in my post above was intended. I mean, there seem to be these 'studies' trying to figure out why folks are homosexual, but there often seems to be some kind of agenda behind them. And I ask, who is actually setting the parameters for this discourse? It's straight society that sets the parameters, because they happen to be the more numerous, and thus the dominant group. That's why I take such studies with a grain of salt. They want to figure out why some folks are gay, because deep down they still see it as abnormal. This is the underlying 'parameter' that is starting to irritate me nowadays. To be gay is as normal as to be left-handed. It happens, and I suspect it always has and always will. But some folks, on some deep level, still see it as a 'pathology', and I suspect that this is one reason we get 'researched'. As I said, let's turn it around, and research why so many folks, despite soaring divorce rates, willingly choose to enter into hetero unions, complete with hard labour at a job that is stressful, white picket fence and crushing debt and mortgage. I think that needs some research! Of course I'm being silly, but to make a point: when straight folks do 'research' on gay folks, I am aware of the fact that by doing so, they express their dominance in society as the 'main' group, I feel. But I really don't think we need 'explaining' any more than they do.

Ok I know my post is a bit strident, but these last four months have made me see these issues in a very different light.

10. resu

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I don't think so. If "non-heterosexuality" has survived for so many generations, it seems like it's going to stick around.