1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ready to move forward, in a strange place

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by backwoodswander, Aug 7, 2014.

1. backwoodswander

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I recently came out as lesbian in my late 20's. About a year ago, I took my first teaching job in a small, very very conservative and not super tolerant town. I'm only an hour or so from Portland, OR so I do have access to that, except for the fact that I don't actually know anybody in Portland. I'm out to my family and friends and I feel like I'm in a good place in my life and I'm emotionally ready for a relationship, but I feel so incredibly isolated from any gay community. I spent most of my 20's feeling depressed and lonely and I'm ready to move on from that. Has anybody here had to do the small town thing at any point? How do you meet people? I have to be pretty open and vocal because I'm definitely on the femme end of the spectrum and do not read as gay to most people at all. And I'm a late bloomer in the relationship department; I literally have not done this before at all.

And as a follow-up question for any of you small-town LGBTQ folk: Is anybody out at work? That's the only place I have not come out, and I'm debating if I should. I spent all last school year fielding questions about my personal life and people trying to set me up with their sons and nephews. This year I'm tempted to be honest if those things come up again. No announcements, and no need for kids or parents to know, but no lies or dancing around personal questions with colleagues either. We have an anti-discrimination policy that covers sexual orientation and gender identity, and I know of at least a couple of gay teachers at other schools in our district.

Thank you lovely people for reading and for any insight you might have for me :slight_smile:

2. Wolf of The Baltic

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    As a liver in a small town once I can help you. Back when I lived in Maine it was quite hard to meet anyone. As i met my boyfriend after I moved I can tell you what my friend did. Her name is Lucy and she is a lesbian like you. Her situation wass just the same. She had no girlfriend and being in a small town in Maine is quite hard to find much support. That's why she had me her gay best friend. Basically what I'm trying to say is sometimes LGBT support isn't always going to be big you just have to find. Ask anything you may need answered and I shall try my best to answer.

Best of luck
    -the king

3. Really

4. indie

indie Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I would suggest coming out at work if things like that come up again