1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Thankful for gay friends

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by BeingEarnest, Aug 7, 2014.

1. BeingEarnest

I had a rough situation at work today, specifically over the fact that I am gay. ( I am out to a couple of people, and their response has been very mixed) I felt hurt, and angry. And in the past, I would have kept it to myself, and internalized it. Today I decided to reach out. I called on a friend, who has been so supportive these last months. It was such a relief to be able to share safely, and be understood.

Over the years, as I withdrew into the closet, I closed myself off to friendship, especially with gay men- and I knew several that I liked. But I think I was so afraid of facing myself that it scared me to be close. Since coming out, they have become wonderful friends. I couldn't imagine going through this without them.

Coming out can be intensely lonely at times, but I am finding that it can also create the space to make lasting friendships.

2. bingostring

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I cut out all gay people from my life for so long that when I eventually got some gay friends it was like acquiring a family after a long absenceā€¦

3. Candace

I feel the same way and why I love coming here. I can truly be myself without having to withhold anything due to possible abashment by my straight friends (even if they do love me and support me). EC's like my own little family to me :slight_smile: