1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

People don't care about my orientation as much as I do!

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by YaraNunchuck, Aug 9, 2014.

1. YaraNunchuck

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    So, I was hoping for some feedback on this: with the exception of my parents and family (to whom I'm not out yet), I've finally realised that me being gay does not matter as much to other people as it does to me.

It's sort of traumatic to let that sink in.

See, when I first realised, my depression over being gay and not being able to have biological kids was so great I felt like I needed to reassess my life and its direction. I really felt like my time on this earth was more precious, since I couldn't take having a family for granted, even though it might be possible down the line. But I also felt angry, to be honest, that I turned out 'this way' and, due to this anger, qualities which I had previously had - placidity, modesty, gentleness - sort of disappeared.

And then every step to feeling better and being functional was like climbing Kilimanjaro. I felt the progress and sensed the achievement and pushed on. This lasted like one and half years...

But I'm sometimes faced with how unimportant being gay really is. Like how my academic work is totally unaffected (it seems) by being gay or straight; how my job performance is just rated on how good it is; how many of the gay people I've met treat their homosexuality as the least interesting and least important bit of their lives. When I come out to new people it's far less momentous than I thought it would be.

I was also expecting some great payoff in social confidence by being openly gay. It sort of happened - I'm less anxious about being unmasculine etc.; but I've recently become good friends with straight guys who probably would have still been friendly were I still closeted. We talk about current affairs and politics. Sexuality is just almost irrelevant.

I think my age has something to do with it. At 18, knowing your sexuality and being comfortable with it is a huge advantage in a peer group still largely structured by the demands of youthful sexual exploration. In your twenties and beyond, you're expected to be an adult, to socialize in mature ways and to act with a degree of professionalism in everything...But I'm still going through a second adolescence. And so I have the 'zeal of the convert' in wanting *everything to be gay*.

Coming out to myself and others has been one of the most significant things in my entire life. Now, to encounter people for whom it is profoundly uninteresting (not that I blame them :icon_wink) causes some painful dissonance.

2. Wuggums47

Wuggums47 Guest

In some ways I know what you mean. Some day being gay won't be a big deal(like the trolls in homestuck not having a word for it), but today it still is somewhat important. You have to take a certain pride in it.

3. Richie.

I think that s because it doesn't effect them as much as it does you.

I've noticed the same too. The only one who took it bad was my wife and that's understandable because it also meant the end of our relationship.

4. YaraNunchuck

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Thank you. Richie, did you feel any difficulty facing the contrast between the turbulence of your home life (because you're gay) and how unimportant it was to the outside world? My coming out to my family will be pretty big, emotions wise.

I guess I just want someone to pat me on the head for getting through the last few years. But straight people (rightly) want to be blasé about openly gay people, and equally, I want to project the image of a cool and collected gay person totally at home with everything. But that prevents me from getting that pat on the head, as it were :wink:.

I can only be open with all of my struggles here on EC. I feel like in the real world, if I told even other gay people about my depression and sexual confusion I would seem too weak. But I want to let people know that, dammit, it was a huge, life shakingly big deal for me. But I don't know.

5. Candace

Like the person above stated, they have no earthly concept of what it's like to be gay. So, they don't know how to care about it. I'm sorry that they can't empathize with you any more than they can. :S.

6. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It's the same as anything else, really. To some people, their job is their life. To others, it's something they do for several hours a week to get a paycheck.

Some of my friends find my sexuality interesting, and a few find it fascinating. Most don't give a rat's ass. :slight_smile:

Lex

7. OGS

OGS

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    For me that was why it was so important to have gay friends, especially when I first came out. It wasn't that the straight people in my life were unaccepting, they just weren't really as interested in it as I was for a while.

8. TheStormInside

Knowing this has kind of allowed me to relax a little, to be honest. Talking through things with a friend, he's reminded me repeatedly that while coming out is a huge event in my life, it's really not a big thing for most of the people around me. And as my therapist has said, when someone comes out to you you only have to make a "minor adjustment," but when you are coming out yourself there is a lot more work, and a lot more change involved.

I understand what you mean, though, if people aren't really able to talk it through with you because they don't get what the "big deal" is. I've been fortunate in that the two friends I've spoken to have been understanding, though it's clear they don't really get the depth of what this means to me they do understand why it's frightening and have been patient with me and my emotions. You do have all of us here to vent to if need be, that's what his forum is here for :slight_smile:. Do you have anyone in your life that you kind of "talk emotions" with? Because those are the people I have come out to thus far and they've been invaluable in this process, and someone like that is much more likely to get where you are coming from regardless of their own orientation.

9. Greeley

I always HATE coming out to new people. Specially if its a group of people. When people just assume that i'm straight just because im not stereotypically gay and when i say "my other half" and people are like "Oh how long have you had your girlfriend" and i have the awkward moment to try and tell them its infact a guy and seeing how they feel awkward and kind of step back a bit subconsciously.

I too thought it was going to be different once i came out, everybody was going to be dramatic about it but everybody was cool with it, it was all fine my mates were just like "cool" my family were just like "cool" and other people i tell are just like "cool". (obviously to start off with they think im joking because i'm known as the guy that jokes around all the time, its just my personality)

But yeah. I've never had to face anything homophobic (yet) in my year of being out of the closet even though im now 23.

10. Richie.

It's been quite a contrast I came out and people were like oh that's mildly interesting and then nothing. I'm just happy I don't have to hide anymore. I know how you feel. You're not weak though you're strong. And I see that and so will real life people you just have to be yourself the right people will be there for you!!!

11. AAASAS

IT's the truth for the most part.

It's easy for people to be homophobic until they know someone who is gay that they actually like. Which is why a lot of closeted gay guys like myself partially have this inflated view that it's the end of the world to be gay.

The reason you care so much, and some other gay people don't and straight people is your upbringing. I knew I was gay at around age 12 or maybe before, and I started paying attention to homophobic comments at that time. A lot of gay people don't realize till they are older. That means at age 24, I've spent around half my life hearing negative shit about being gay ; though it may be in a joking manner, it's just the sheer amount of negativity that has been thrown towards me that has seriously damaged my self esteem. A lot of gay people don't realize till they're about to end highschool, which leaves them only a couple years of negativity, when I've spent the better half of my life being aware of my sexuality and letting all those negative comments accumulate to make me think it's a huge flaw.

How this ties into you, I don't know if you experienced something similar; were self aware really early and maybe have heard a bit more homophobic stuff than the average person.

But anyway, straight people don't pay attention or make note of homophobic comments, it doesn't personally affect them, therefore they can throw around homophobic comments and not be homophobic and be indifferent towards jokes. They just don't pay attention because it doesn't hurt them. So being gay to a lot of them isn't a big deal because they don't realize how homophobic and anti-gay our society can seem.

Growing up in an area that isn't homophobic doesn't spare you either. You are going to hear gay, fag...etc in peoples speech. And the longer you are aware of it, the more you pay attention, the bigger of a deal it seems.

A lot of gay people just haven't spent their impressionable years identifying with the word gay and homosexual, and fag. I have, and I bet you have, because everytime you heard those words used negatively it sort of chipped away at you. Straight people don't get chipped by it, and some gay people don't, so they just don't see what the big deal is.

I know people that didn't realize they were gay till after highschool, I don't know how that is possible, but that would have been amazing.

So ya, it's not anything wrong with you, you've just been over exposed to homophobic comments that do negatively affect you, whilease other gay people either don't pay attention like straight people, or are unaffected.

I think it's almost more normal to think it's a big deal, because that means you've been noticing how homophobic people can seem even if they aren't.

#11 AAASAS, Aug 11, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 11, 2014
  12. YaraNunchuck

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Thanks guys :slight_smile:

TheStormInside ~ Thank you :slight_smile:. I know I have lots of people on EC to talk to. I guess I don't have anyone IRL to 'talk emotions' with, it's a really good point. I'm so close to my mother, but to talk with her would be to come out to her, which fills me with dread. I'll do it soon but it'll be tough. I have some really good gay friends that I've acquired over a few years but I instinctively cover up how painful coming out has been for me so as to seem cooler and less loser-ish. I know that's bad and they're really empathetic people (well most of them (!)) so I should really just let loose with one of them.

Greeley ~ I know exactly what you mean.

WooEEE ~ Yours is such an insightful post. I don't quite fit your theory though, lol! The thing is, when I was 12, I had no idea. I'm one of those gay people who didn't realise - in my case, I figured it out when I was 22. But you know what? I can tell you every off-colour remark my dad ever made about gay people, going back to the age of five. Instant recall. I think I picked up on my parents' anxiety over sexuality as a boy and somehow those comments were etched extra deep in my mind. They've never been really homophobic, but you know how it is. They don't particularly want *their son* turning out like one of *them*, even if it's OK as a general rule.

I was also pretty sensitive when I was young, so although I wasn't aware of being gay, I was scared of becoming gay, if that makes any sense - I felt that people like me were at high risk. Mordant irony, right?

I also agree that we're subject to homophobic micro-aggressions almost every day since birth. That does chip away. Hetero people just assume I'm OK! I'm still not quite OK, and I'm mostly out. As some of you (ElPanaChevere) pointed out, they just have no idea - no concept of what it is like to grow up and suffer as an alien in a heteronormative environment that is slowly swallowing you up.