1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Soliciting positive thoughts

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by jnr183, Aug 13, 2014.

1. jnr183

I am procrastinating and thought I would post on the forum since I haven't written much recently.

A few days ago a good friend of mine called to say her company might be looking to hire somebody. I kind of fit the bill for what they are looking for and, because I want to leave my current job, the timing is pretty good as well. It would basically be a dream job in a dream company. Because the job is desirable enough, they would probably be looking to fill the position through a "connection" (i.e. my friend who is in a position to connect) rather than opening up an at-large application process. She told me she is optimistic that it will work since she thinks that me and the company are such a good fit. Even with a bit of a pay cut, this job opportunity is a best-case scenario. Even if I didn't stay there long-term, it would open up all sorts of doors in the future. On top of that, I am fairly unhappy in my current situation, so knowing I could leave here in the next few months is really exciting.

Added twist: the new job is in Jake's city. For those of you who haven't read any of my threads, Jake is a friend I made in my current town when we both had girlfriends at the time. As we became friends, I developed strong feelings for him. He moved away in December but we kept in very close contact. There is/was an emotional intimacy in the friendship that I have found unusual for being 'just friends'. In short, the friendship and my feelings for him really triggered my decision to start coming out and he was one of the first people I came out to after I broke up with my girlfriend this spring. My speculation about him not being 100% straight has led me to spend a completely unreasonable amount of time discussing him on this forum, but unfortunately we are nothing more than close friends. If you too are looking to procrastinate, you could eat up some time reading those posts.

Jake or no Jake, this would be a really good opportunity for me. It would be a fantastic job and in a medium-sized city compared to my rural college town now. I have a few friends that live there already. It seems like it might be a good (probably not great) place to start anew and meet other gay men as well. And with his new gay best friends, Jake may just be a helpful resource.

I don't want to get my hopes up too high, because this opportunity falling through will be pretty disappointing and there is zero guarantee for anything working out at this point. I'm always a pessimist and I try to expect the worst.... since I think it seems to minimize disappointment. It honestly sounds a little too perfect for it to be true which makes me very skeptical. For that reason I don't want to tell too many friends/family members/coworkers about it as that seems bound to sabotage it, but I'm too jazzed to not share with my EC friends.

So if you don't mind me selflishly soliciting for a few of your good thoughts, I could certainly use them and would be eager to return the favor!

#1 jnr183, Aug 13, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2014
  2. wanderinggirl

You seem like you're in such a good place right now, I hope this job is all it's cracked up to be. Sending good thoughts your way buddy!

Also since I'm a sucker for a good trigger-crush story, I'm gonna go eat up all your Jake posts right now.

3. Abi

Abi Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I agree <3

4. bingostring

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I think you should definitely put yourself forward for this job full stop. If, for nothing else, the interview and process would be good experience, plus you will have a great opportunity to find out what the job really entails. It may not be quite what you imagined and you need as much information as possible.

Then, if/when an offer is made you can make the decision with more information at your fingertips.

It sounds really good and if you can get in the back door through a recommendation all the better.

Jake is a potential bonus, as is living in a bigger city if you are kicking your heels in the rural town you are in?

What would you lose? Friends where you are now? Family? I usually write a list of pro's and cons when faced with these sorts of potentially life changing situations.

5. calgary

Hey JNR Sounds like a great opportunity an really nothing to loose. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you that it all works out.

6. CyclingFan

I'd say def pursue the job. Interviews don't hurt.

I took one last year that I was real unsure about, and it's turned into a very positive experience.

7. Choirboy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Absolutely go for it! (You knew I'd say that anyhow...) Jake or no Jake, this is a great career opportunity, and where you are now just isn't. You wouldn't be worried about NOT getting it if you didn't really WANT to get it. Good luck!

8. jnr183

Thanks all. Yes, very few negatives to the new job situation- just need to convince them to interview me first! I will keep you all posted. Thanks again.

9. quietman702

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Jnr it's better to have tried for the job and not get it than to not interview and always wonder what if. All my best to you!