1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

hey have any of you gone through a social withdrawal period?

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by offmychest, Aug 19, 2014.

1. offmychest

offmychest Guest

hello, i am noticing that i am socially withdrawing. when i was straight to others and secretly "bi" inside, i went to many straight things and events. it was fun. i met a lot of people. i would also find myself crushing on straight guys there are guys i thought were gay but i was not sure. but as time went on and i started to go to more gay clubs and bars, straight events seemed boring to me. not that gay events were so much fun but i felt free to not have to put up a front and if by chance there was someone there i did like, i did not have to feel afraid of approaching them because all they could do is reject me but not because i was into guys since they would be too. so i stopped going to straight bars and clubs and lounges and social meeting events and stopped looking for the masculine but hopefully bi or gay unicorn in straight places and went full hog on gay events. the dilemna came when the gay guys at the gay events did not seem like the straight guys at the straight events. sure they were gay and that was great but there just seemed to be more obviously gay guy at these sorts of things. i tried the private parties, the sunday gay gatherings, the recreational gay events and things just seemed uber gay. by this i mean, i could tell the guys were gay straight away in mannerisms and such. i guess for me, i wasn't really looking to be best friends with people, i was hoping that i could use these events to meet someone to date and i never really found anyone i was interested in there. so there was a bit of a conundrum. i didn't want to go to straight things anymore, i didn't want to go to gay things anymore and i found myself slowly but surely isolating myself. even when i told a few of my straight friends about my orientation, they were supportive but they did not know of any gay people to introduce me too. when i went to gay events, the guys there just weren't my type. so it just got lonely and i checked out. i spend most of my free time just working out. there are gay guys likely at my gym but after so much rejection from guys that are masculine but i wonder if they are "gay" i dont approach guys anymore or try and drum up conversation. when the guys have ultimatley been gay, they have only wanted sex. so i just found it useless to try. guys do not approach me...only stare at me. i have to do all the work and when i do, it doesn't seem to end up with much of anyone that wants something real. most just want to talk and text about sexual stuff upon first meeting. so i just stopped trying with that as well. now that i am older i just feel like i am not sure how i will ever meet anyone or what to do. although the working out is good i guess for my body, it's boring and just a place holder for me to do something. has anyone else gone through this isolation/withdrawal period? i do find myself withdrawing from society. i used to be very social and very friendly and i still am but after so much rejection at the hands of men, i just dont have the energy to strike up conversations anymore by guys i would be interested in.

2. Ryujin

I can relate, I think.

After realising I wasn't sure enough of my sexuality, I stopped talking to my friends to much and when I went away I wanted to spend as little time as possible with family.
    I became very wrapped in my own thoughts, unable to stop thinking about it and so I became quite unsociable and unable to hold a conversation for a while.
    I started feeling quite sad a lot of the time and uncomfortable being round my family.

Thankfully, recently I've stopped being like that, mainly due to EC making me realise that I don't need to label my feeling and restrict myself to the way those labels dictate.
    I feel a lot better and I hope you do soon as well.

3. Weston

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    This surprises you?

Since you're bi, perhaps you should focus more on women.

4. offmychest

offmychest Guest

it doesn't surprise me really. but i was basically looking for more undetectably gay gay guys. not so much at the "gay events".

i like both but i am really focusing on one gender at a time. its hard for me to start a new chapter with women while still reading the "male" book. if the guy thing doesn't work out, not sure what i will do because i really want to feel butterflies and fall for a guy and him fall for me.

5. Pie

Pie Guest

I feel this way around my family. I can't have a conversation without slowly having my mind drift away from the subject. I'm not out to anyone else than my best friend and my mom, so I can't discuss freely about anything. We ultimately address the subject of my "girlfriend" everytime I meet my grandparents and I have to lie everytime.

I feel spending time with my family is worthless at the moment.

My new school year start in 5 days (26th August) and I'm looking forward to coming out to my friends but I fear that I'll feel even more alone. On the 1st of August (the 4th of July in Switzerland) I had a party with my friends, which I ended up leaving because I couldn't have any fun. I felt depressed and alone.

My new school year start in 5 days (26th August) and I'm looking forward to coming out to the rest of my friends but I fear that I'll feel even more alone then. I fear that they won't treat me the same was as before (even though they may do so subconsciously).

6. Nightdream

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm going throught this, but I can't tell for sure if it's because I'm questioning my sexuality too much or if it's something else entirely.

7. HM03

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Yes, definitely!

In grade 11 (so a few years ago) I spent the whole year socially withdrawn. A great deal of it had to do with my sexuality and obsessing over what other people think in general.

Even now I have my chatty days and my don't-talk-to-me days, but it's more or less random and not caused by something :slight_smile:

8. CyclingFan

Absolutely. It's one of the reasons why I made sure I was closer to the city center for this time.

9. bottomsup

Im very withdrawn, never go out, never go to pubs or bars or clubs or raves, yes kids raves, im that old.
    Hoping soon to pluck up the courage and set myself free, but likley ill justt stay here.. Boo hoo.. Gah moods pha, onward and upwards. I am where I am, and its a good place, just not right for me, I need a man baby, I need to find myself, I am lost, who what am i? Much easier to not lable and just be yourself. Yeah, right, oh except for all the respinsabilities and dependents ...

---------- Post added 21st Aug 2014 at 03:48 AM ----------

Oh, forgot to mention how totally fantastic I am!

---------- Post added 21st Aug 2014 at 03:49 AM ----------

both in looks and outlook!
    My whole whole life I have run, now is time to stand and face it

10. ThomasG1234

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Absolutely. Since coming out Bi I've found myself socially withdrawing even more than usual. Since I was married for 20 years, most of my friends were "couple friends" of my wife and I. It feels like she's inherited all the friends in the divorce settlement.

Being closeted for so many years always made me feel like an outsider, but now that I'm "out" to my straight friends and family the distance is even more pronounced. The few single friends I have are supportive, but not exactly the kind of network I need to meet new people.

I'm hoping that as time passes, I can find the courage to get out and meet people, both men and women. But right now, I've become a hermit.

11. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hard to say. I came out just after college...after which I took a job in a small backwards town where I didn't really know anybody. I spent a lot of nights at home reading and listening to music. I don't think it was because I was all that anti-social - just not much other option. :slight_smile:

Lex

12. TheStormInside

Social withdrawal period? Maybe my entire life :icon_redf .

I'm not really out yet. To be honest I've been hoping coming out will improve my social life rather than impede it. I have a small circle of friends who I expect to be accepting, and they already know I'm not into the bar scene so when we spend time together it's usually watching movies or dinner or something like that. Things that I wouldn't classify as "gay" or "straight." I'm hoping I'll be able to start meeting some other LGBT people once I come out, too, however I'm not entirely sure where to look. I may try meetup groups, as I am not into bars or dancing.

During this questioning period, though, I have found myself withdrawing more than usual, or at least I was at some points more so than others. I've been depressed off and on. Anxious about being "found out" or how others might respond when I do come out. These things have definitely caused me to withdraw. I'd shy from social contact so I didn't have to hide my feelings or worry about something slipping out. Or, I was just too depressed or too anxious to go out entirely. Things are slowly starting to look up for the moment, particularly after coming out to my closest friend, which has given me some confidence that things don't necessarily have to change between myself and my friends.

13. Damien

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I'm 'lucky' in the sense that I think I could still be intimate with a woman, so if my desire to be close to a guy remains unsatisfied, I might have to accept that it won't be fulfilled. If you feel despair at this I can relate. Folks here keep saying that there are other guys like us around, who want to:

1. meet a like-minded guy (similar interests maybe, etc)
    2. get to know them gradually - as a friend first
    3 then the friendship naturally deepens into sexual intimacy, when we know each other fairly well. You know, like it was with women, mostly?

Ok so these guys 'exist' but I ask, where? How do I find them? At the 'gay venue' I dance at, even making eye contact is awkward, let alone striking up a conversation, because folks seem to assume that means you want to have sex with them - that night. But really with 90% of the guys there I just want to have a chat, but as you can see 'just chatting' is hard to do there. Many of them won't chat unless they think you might be good to sleep with. If that sounds awful, well I agree. I also want to know where are all the 'guys like you and I' who are not just 'in it for a quick shag' are, and where can I find them? Internet dating might be the only way, right?

---------- Post added 22nd Aug 2014 at 07:26 AM ----------

Hi offmychest,

I just realized that many such guys are actually here, on ec. Only full members are allowed to share contact info though, so meeting anyone here is of course limited to full members. But maybe that is one sane option.

#13 Damien, Aug 21, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 21, 2014
  14. likethewind

likethewind Guest

I wanted to read what others had to say before I posted anything.

I'm a fairly social guy, so I don't often think of myself as withdrawn. But I do go through periods where I just get tired of trying to meet gay people, so I stop -- and only hang out with my straight friends or my family. Inevitably, I come to a point where I feel like I need to connect with gay men (and no, I'm not talking about sex -- not consciously, anyway), so I look for gay friends again.

I'm in a "tired of looking" stage right now. Some here may have read I planned to go to a gay bar last weekend, but decided not to enter once I arrived. I am now certain that is not my scene and I didn't feel bad about leaving -- but the next day, I felt sad. I know there must be other gays like myself, but it's tough to find them. So tomorrow I'm meeting some straight friends again. At least I know I'll have some good laughs with people I care about.

A while ago on this board, I realized I can't force friendships -- they'll happen when they're right. I didn't "work" at any of my current friendships -- they came from a common bond, common interests and a genuine concern for each other. I'm still waiting for a "natural" connection with gay friends. Maybe I'm just not ready yet...

15. imekon

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think I've been withdrawn for a long time. Moving around a lot as a kid didn't help. Being a bit different at school didn't help either. I thought of myself as the ultimate wallflower, completely isolated etc.

When I came out at 26, I suddenly descovered a whole new world out there I never had before. I met my first bf, went to parties, got to know people from work.

Then came the break up, and I became a hermit for a loooong time. Until I met my current guy.

At my last job, I was popular... something of a strange thing for me. When I left last week, the office manager wrote: "you're bonkers but don't ever change". I think I've finally grown into the person I wanted to be. I just wish I was that person when I was 18.

16. offmychest

offmychest Guest

i can totally relate to this!

---------- Post added 25th Aug 2014 at 01:13 PM ----------

you read my mind!

17. thekillingmoon

I can definitely relate to that. It's the same with women. I used to go out of my way to show interest in someone. I'd message women on dating sites and try to get to know them with the hopes of finding a relationship and it never went anywhere. I always felt like I was the one who was looking for someone while they only talked to me to kill time online. Nowadays I feel completely discouraged to show interest in anyone first. I wouldn't say that's my reason for social withdrawal, more like I rarely get opportunities to meet people. I definitely don't want to do all the work anymore, I feel like if people want me around or are interested, they'll make a move.

18. Given To Fly

I sometimes have... Not sure how to describe it... Not bad moods or depression as such... But yeah I sometimes have periods of a month or two where I don't answer emails or texts from my friends. Not that I have many close friends. But I'll kind of push em away and keep to myself for a while.