1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Support groups

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by anniesims, Aug 23, 2014.

1. anniesims

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    How would i go about finding support groups in my area that have meetings? Most the places ive looked have meetups nd get togethers but not really support groups. I went to one meet up but was very shy and quiet. I felt like an outsider even though they were very welcoming. I plan to go to another one but would really like to find a support group to talk.

2. Damien

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I'm considering actually starting up a group like this, for my local area. There are lgbt meetups but they go out to places, events etc and while I fully intend to participate, there is always a cost to those outings, and I often can't actually afford them at present; furthermore, I would also like to have a group, perhaps facilitated by a counsellor or something to lay down a few rules and keep everything safe and non-sleazy, where we could all just share things that are on our minds - as you put it, to 'just talk'. An lgbt meetup where folks just talked (and maybe each member brought a plate of food to share at the end of the meeting), now that would be a novel and, I agree, a wonderful concept to explore.

A question for the more experienced and savvy amongst us: what is a good way to actually set up such a group?

#2 Damien, Aug 23, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 23, 2014
  3. Really

@annie: Can you google "LGBT resource your-city-name"? If there is a resource centre, surely they do something or can point you in the right direction.

@Damien: what about an LGBT potluck meetup? Start it in the summer so you can meetup in a park and then maybe progress to people hosting it? Or suggesting other free locations.

4. BiPenguin

Try meetup.com by creating an account. I found one through them.