1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

So I took my wife to watch Manchester Pride.

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by SaleGayGuy, Aug 25, 2014.

1. SaleGayGuy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    This last weekend I took my wife to watch the Manchester Pride Festival for the first time, also my first time, and was surprised at a few things she said. We didn’t actual go to the event it’s self but watched as a member of the public surrounded by hot guys I kept drooling over.

Throughout the parade she was picking out hot guys she thought would be suitable for me and those that would definitely not be. I have to say her choice was very good. I asked her if she thought it was unusual for a wife to be pointing out hot guys to her husband and she replied not really and started talking about some woman in the “Bloomsbury Set” picking out male lovers for her male friends, but my mind was elsewhere.

She became all enthusiastic when she recognised (99% certain) someone she knew on one of the floats so I guess someone is going to get a phone call to find out why he was there.

She seemed genuinely emotional at watching the parade with tears in her eyes at several points; I have no idea what to make of this, is she also gay? At the end of the 90 min parade she had really enjoyed herself.

One of the groups in the parade was a bunch of guys interested in all things outdoors, climbing, camping, and walking etc. She suggested that perhaps next year I could go on holiday with these guys if they organised week long events. We had talked about separate holidays before on her instigation for me to go away and do something gay but to actually suggest a bunch of guys was a real surprise.

And the biggest surprise of all … Next year she wants us both to be in the parade! And I hope also in the Pride event proper.

SGG

2. KyleD

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Family only
    What a wonderful story! Things are really working out! I am so happy for you. :slight_smile:

3. Really

That's great you two had a good time!

As for your wife's reaction to the parade - could she have just been moved by the joy around her? Maybe thinking you could have this kind if happiness? Does she cry at bittersweet movies? Could just be her base operating setting. :}

In a few days, you could ask her what she was feeling. Seems like your open marriage is above average, under the circumstances.

4. BeingEarnest

SGG- that is an encouraging story. Acceptance is a process, and it sounds like your wife is coming to a new level of acceptance- which can only be helpful.

I had a conversation with my wife yesterday, in which I described what it was like to be hit upon at a gay bar recently, and what it felt like. She asked if I felt anything and I said OH YES. The situation itself was quite humorous, and I did not return the man's affections, but was flattered. My wife was interested, and (from the best friend side of her) delighted that I had these feelings. We both thought I was pretty functionless before, so this is a good sign.
    Honestly, that was the first smile we have shared in a long time. It felt good.

#4 BeingEarnest, Aug 25, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 25, 2014
  5. looking for me

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    SSG, WOW. i love that you and your wife have such a great relationship. So very happy for you and your wife.(&&&)

6. PatrickUK

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think it's great that you have this sort of relationship with your wife. She sounds like an amazing woman.

I think Pride events can be quite moving for gay people and their straight friends and allies. There is something about the atmosphere that gets to you when you attend for the first time.

7. SaleGayGuy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hi Folks

Thanks for all the kind words; my wife has been truly amazing so far in her understanding, acceptance, and now apparent willingness to get involved as an LGBT ally, she even wants to post some of the photos I took at the parade on her company website in the LGBT section.

Re. pride being a moving event, yes I agree. I found it very difficult not to breakdown in tears a) at the realisation of just how big it was and the tens of thousands of supporters and friends watching the event and supporting LGBTQ people, and b) at how very fortunate I’m to live in an open and accepting society when so many around the world would be persecuted or even killed just for being themselves. A couple of guys in the crowd next to us were hugging and kissing each other and no one batted an eyelid.

My “gayness” however is still in the theoretical phase since I’m not sexually involved with another guy, or even have a close friendship with one. I imagine that once this happens, even though we’ve discussed it and agreed that it’s a real need for me, it’s going to be difficult for her and she may very well change her attitude towards me.

Next step in this slow process of working out our open relationship is for me to introduce a more serious gay themed film or drama into our regular TV viewing to aid in her understanding of gay culture rather than the comedic stereotypical series we have seen so far. She should be ok with this because she once bought a boxed set of the UK Queer as Folk drama to watch, without me!, whilst I was working overseas.

SGG

#7 SaleGayGuy, Aug 27, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 27, 2014
  8. Richie.

Good man! Glad you are getting on well.

9. SaleGayGuy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Thanks Richie, it’s good to see that you too have emerged from the darkness and are back with us.

10. Richie.

Yeah it was pretty dark, thanks for caring!:thumbsup: