1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Took 30yrs to come out then lost everything i owned :-(

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by Freedomfighter9, Aug 26, 2014.

1. Freedomfighter9

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Im new here today, looks like a friendly welcoming site ;-)
    i guess i found myself looking for a support site due to the traumatic events that occured when i finally came out at the age of 30.

I am about to turn 32 in a few months and honestly its been the worst 2 years of my life!
    I was married for many years to a man, i tried my hardest to suppress myself and just keep denying i wanted to be with a woman.
    Then one day i just found myself coming out to my Therapist telling her if i have to stay married to my husband for one more minute il end up ending my life.
    So i came out to him and moved out two months later...

He destroyed me in the divorce and took everything....i ended up homeless, depressed and suicidle.As i say that was almost two years ago now and i have gotten my life back on track...but the depression still flares up every now and then (especially at night and first thing in the morning.) The insomnia ( like tonight) is always recurrent, the anxiety that i started getting when i was homeless still comes up sometimes....but i am trying my hardest to recognise that everything happens for a reason.
    My awful experience has not for one second left me regretting even for a second my decision to come out.
    It is still the best thing i ever did, however awful it was.
    And i am stronger for it, i just wish the nightmares would leave me, the anxiety would go and that i could stop bloody procrastinating.

There are many things that happened to me when i was homeless but i have left them out due to wanting to kp myself slightly disclosed on here, they were awful things that surrounded alot of bullying....i am trying to move on as i say but the volume of pain i went through just doesnt want to leave the back of my mind.

2. Mocha

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Hi and welcome. It sounds like you've been through some trauma and very difficult times, but I truly believe that once you've hit rock bottom, there's only one way you can go and it seems like you're heading there as best you can. And you will get there one day and be much stronger for it. Are you on any meds for your anxiety and depression? If not, have a chat with your dr as it sounds like they would help you and if you are but they don't seem to be working, go back and tell them so they can adjust your dose / change meds. You will definitely find a lot of support here, everyone is very friendly and willing to help. I truly hope you can find some peace soon x

3. Freedomfighter9

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Awwe thankyou for your kind words ;-)
    i dont seem to have very gd responses to antidepressants.
    I tried Mirtazapine and it nearly pushed me over the edge....my DR wants me to try something else, something less stronger but its now made me paranoid to take anything at all.
    I have herbal stress pills for my anxiety which is self prescribed that i got from a herbal shop....there the only thing im on at the minute...they help me to sleep but not a whole lot more tbh.....
    but i dunno i have amazing days then i have awful days....theres no consistency...i go from laughing my head of to wanting to lay in bed for the rest of my life.

My friends want me to consider Therapy so im thinking of talking to someone, but im so proud i dunno i have not been back to a Therapist since i left my husband and its also daunting...god i sound pathetic huh :-(

4. Mocha

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    No you don't, you're still just recovering from a hard time. I take citalopram and so does a friend of mine and got good responses. I started on it a few months after I was questioning as my moods were like yours, ok one day and didn't want to get out of bed the next. My friend is on a higher dose, she gets depression pretty bad whereby she can't get out of bed for weeks and suffers anxiety with it. She had to change her meds as nothing worked and started on the citalopram and has had good results. Maybe talk to your GP about changing your meds and if they don't make any difference then just bite the bullet and go to therapy?

5. bingostring

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Well done for doing what you did.
    You will be eternally grateful to yourself for the last two years.
    Unfortunately these events can be so stressful that depression and anxiety are part of the package.
    But now you are out of the dark tunnel, maybe you can gradually put together the framework for your new life.
    And being good to yourself and doing what feels right.

6. Freedomfighter9

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone

Yeah i will ;-)
    i think i must see a Therapist no matter what i decide, no matter how hard it is, coz i keep so much of my nightmare in and i dont let it out so it just makes me ill.
    But yeah your right there are def many different pills available that may give me a better response then the first ones, i just got so close to taking my life n the Mirtazapine that it terrified me really.
    Im due to see my doctor again really soon so im gonna be having a long chat with her about it all.
    Thankyou for your advice ;-)

---------- Post added 27th Aug 2014 at 12:42 AM ----------

Awwe thankyou bingostring :slight_smile:
    thats very sweet ;-) i truly have no regrets, even if it killed me-id of rather die trying to live for me then live a long miserable life trying to conform to others.

Yes it was an awful traumatic two years, but a 30 year lie was killing me and i couldnt handle it anymore, im now in a better place i just need to keep myself here ;-)

7. PatrickUK

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    There's a quote (originally from Churchill I think): "When you're going through hell, keep going". My God, it sounds like you have done just that. Lots of respect to you.

It's a horrible fact that traumatic events can stay with us unless we grasp the nettle and push through the pain and I'm wondering if that's what therapy might represent for you.. a nettle to grasp? It's not easy and I can kind of understand how you might find it awkward if you are a little proud, but confidentiality is key to the therapist/client relationship. In all honesty, the disrupted sleep pattern will not be helping either, so if it helps you find a way of getting rest at the right time of day that will be a welcome step towards recovering (he says at almost 1am UK time) :slight_smile:

Hang in there and make friends on this forum. It's easy to use Empty Closets and the few rules that do exist are sensible and protect everyone using the site. It's a good place to be.

8. Really

I second the suggestion to go back to your MD to get a new prescription. The first medication just didn't "go" with your body's chemistry. There are other choices. Personally, I wouldn't self prescribe herbal supplements. You don't know what they might be made of and definitely stop them once you get your new prescription.
    Let the DR. figure out what works for you. You just need to report back how they're working so the prescription can be tweaked.

I'm so sorry to read what an awful 2 years you've had. (And quite frankly surprised that such an extreme outcome is possible in the UK. I believe you but am disturbed nonetheless.)

Try to do one nice/happy thing for yourself each day. You certainly deserve it!

9. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Welcome to EC!

Yeah, it sounds like you built a rather large house on a very shaky foundation, and when it came down, the whole thing fell with it. Sorry you had to go through all that. You may still have quite a ways to go, but it looks like your headed in the right direction. :slight_smile:

Lex

10. Freedomfighter9

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone

Thats sooo sweet ;-)
    big hugs going your way(&&&)

and yeah i know dont remind me lol, i tend to drop off about 3:30am then get up 3 hours later and head to work to manage a rowdy group of Reps till 6pm each evening...
    O dear lol if i can manage them i cant understand why i cant manage my life lol:roflmao:

---------- Post added 27th Aug 2014 at 01:07 AM ----------

O the herbs arnt anything dodgy lol there from Holland and barretts their very similar to herbal nytols but more relaxers then sleeping pills, my mums a retired Psychiatric Nurse; she told me if im too scared to try sleeping pills i should go an buy these.
    So in a way it wasnt exactly self prescribed completely without Medical advice....
    All i told her was that i had bad insomnia and a lil anxiety....
    she doesnt know i went through depression or about the suicidal thoughts.
    Were not that close, so when i became homeless i never told her or any of my other family for that matter...they were angry enough as it is that i left him to come out as a lesbian-they pretty-much washed their hands of me. So i dnt wanna to be a laughing stock too by saying i had to live on the streets. Im very proud and lived ridiculously well before it all came crashing down.:tears:

Im bouncing back tho, but thankyou for the well wishing and the support your all so sweet ;-)

---------- Post added 27th Aug 2014 at 01:09 AM ----------

Awwe thankyou Lexington ;-)
    i hope so ;-)

11. BiPenguin

Welcome to EC.

Sorry to hear you have had such a rough time since you were honest about yourself. Keep going on. You will get back and be stronger for it. *hugs*

12. FortunateSally

That all sounds awful. I hope better things are to come. Keep us updated.

13. flowerpot14

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    It does sound really awful Freedom. No one deserves what you've been through. Here's hoping things are looking up for you and you can find some peace.

Hugs to you.

14. Freedomfighter9

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thanks everyone ;-)

15. resu

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Sorry for all the stress you've been in. I hope you get professional help. I was going through a lot of anxiety/depression and only pulled through with help from my university's counseling center and friends here on EC.

16. GrumpyOldLady

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm so sorry, I can't even imagine how that must have been. You must be an incredibly strong person to go through that kind of hell, but come out of it still being true to yourself.

I hope you're able to keep hanging in there! Sounds like it's already starting to get better.

17. Freedomfighter9

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thanks Resu ;-) thanks Dragoness ;-)
    i think i came out of it but dip back in and out of the depression every now and then,
    ive made the decision to speak to a Therapist, which is huge for me coz im so proud and very private. but ive decided i need to kp going forward now ive started.
    if i stop now il end up falling back.
    But the amazing support on here has already been huge for me-and i only joined about 4 nights ago:kiss:(&&&):eusa_clap